What's new

To Open Comb or Not to Open Comb

Been considering an open comb razor lately. The reason being simply that I don't have and it's another thing to futz with.
I have tossed my name on the Ares waitlist, which I have read great reviews about.

Looking for some ideas here. I have a WR2 0.95 SB, so perhaps a WR1 w/ a slightly more conservative gap? Give me your best shot.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The WR1 s great. My favorite OC by far. Except for the Tradere OC, which is more like an SB razor anyways. But they are both amazing.

OC razors are cool. Vintage OC razors are super cool. But the WR1 and Tradere OC out shave them all in my book. But that mojo of shaving with a 100 year old razor is a whole different kind of enjoyment.

Just for reference, my WR1 .80 OC is about on par with a WR2 1.15 or 1.25.

Good to know on the different gaps! As it would be my first open comb, I am happy to stay on the conservative side. Perhaps an unnecessary precaution, but I do have sensitive skin and don'e want to get myself into trouble. I find the 0.95 WR2 SB to be efficient enough for my needs, so perhaps even lower then.

The claim that open combs are more aggressive than solid safety bar is completely wrong. There are terribly mild open comb razors too. Buy yourself any of the open comb Merkurs and you will see what I am talking about.

So, sure, go ahead and buy an open comb. But it will not tell you what open combs are because of the aforementioned very wide range of aggresiveness in open combs. I guess you get my subtle enabling idea (buy various open combs, life's short).

One of the smoothest razors I have is an open comb. The NEW long comb. So much so it's also the only razor I've managed to clog with out rinsing more often.

The roughest razor I have is also considered an open comb. The R41.

So yep, buy a ton of different ones 😁

You'll need at least 31 for OCtober.

@ivan_101 ...well, that hasn't been my experience. But, maybe there are 'degrees of Aggressiveness', IDK? And, I really don't care to find out. I do know that style of razor was given to me when I started shaving, I'd go to school with my neck wrapped in TP. So, I have an emotional aversion to OC razors. JMHO, YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I like OC in specific contexts. And that right there is my problem. Well...one of them. :)

To explain, I like a medium-aggressive shave. A bit of bladefeel, not too much exposure, somewhere on the just barely positive side of neutral. I like the teeth fairly close so that the edge will still go over instead of through small bumps. And I like slants, just because I have to have all the factors lined up against me.

I've had some philosophical differences of opinion with the manufacturers who insist on making both slants and OC razors super aggressive. But really? I just don't buy their stuff. Others do and that's fine. RazoRock's new OC plates are being marketed as more aggressive than the ++ bar plates in each level, but the saving grace so far is that they've got three levels so I will hopefully find an OC plate that gives me even more of the shave I want.

O.H.

Good to know on the different gaps! As it would be my first open comb, I am happy to stay on the conservative side. Perhaps an unnecessary precaution, but I do have sensitive skin and don'e want to get myself into trouble. I find the 0.95 WR2 SB to be efficient enough for my needs, so perhaps even lower then.

Wolfman makes some great milder open combs, the WR1 .54 and .61 are excellent. I rarely use my solid bar razors now.

Hi Elliot,

Great you are expanding! I feared open combs until i jumped in and got a Fatip Special Edition. From there on, I have grown a liking of these type of razors, but as Ivan mentioned and others as well - OC is no guarantee on a perfect smooth close shave. My Timeless has a scalloped safety bar and outperforms a number of my OCs.
Good to know on the different gaps!
Yes! There are gaps and don’t forget exposure! OCs bring you closer to the blade so exposures are a consideration to be taken into account.
I have tossed my name on the Ares waitlist,
Good for you! Wonderfully designed. And perhaps counter enabling (or enabling in a bigger way perhaps): why not go vintage first and see if you like it? For the price of an Ares you can get just about most of the Gillettes to play with (perhaps even all). The Ares v2 has essentially the same specs as the Athena only with OC.

Enjoy!

Guido

Hi Elliot,

Great you are expanding! I feared open combs until i jumped in and got a Fatip Special Edition. From there on, I have grown a liking of these type of razors, but as Ivan mentioned and others as well - OC is no guarantee on a perfect smooth close shave. My Timeless has a scalloped safety bar and outperforms a number of my OCs.

Yes! There are gaps and don’t forget exposure! OCs bring you closer to the blade so exposures are a consideration to be taken into account.

Good for you! Wonderfully designed. And perhaps counter enabling (or enabling in a bigger way perhaps): why not go vintage first and see if you like it? For the price of an Ares you can get just about most of the Gillettes to play with (perhaps even all). The Ares v2 has essentially the same specs as the Athena only with OC.

Enjoy!

Guido
Thank you, my friend. Your rationality, as usual, shines through! I have gone to Back Roads Gold's shop on Etsy to take a gander :)

While some people just prefer OC broadly, we view OC as a tool for a job. If you often skip multiple days or a weekend and need to hack through that growth, OC is worth having in the toolbox. Otherwise, SB is generally smoother and best for most use cases.

As far the razor, I don’t think it matters all that much. Maybe grab an OC plate for a razor you already own.

I use open combs often. I didn't really plan it, it just worked out that way. They are normally most useful for those who shave less frequently, since they usually deal with longer whiskers very well. It's not necessary to spend a lot, though you can.

One of my favorites is the NEW Short Comb, which was replated in nickel. It looks and shaves like a brand new razor. It's all-brass, as well.

I'm also a fan to the Fatip razor family. The Fatip Open Comb Slant is a very nice shaving razor that performs well for me. With the open comb and slant combination, you can satisfy two razor fetishes at the same time. It's also all-brass.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Open comb is not more aggressive. A great OC that everyone should have is a Gillette Old Type. Readily available at antique shops, flea markets or on the Bay for $10-25, and no waiting lists.
The Old Type can bite though. I have many. It requires some attention. However the rewards are high when you master the Old. But as mentioned there are plenty of OCs that are super mello. A Flat Bottom NEW is mello for some people. Like me. The Tradere OC is a razor I’d have a hard time cutting myself with. Feels like a SB. That’s why I often disregard it when talking about my favorite OCs. Even though it’s one of my favorite all time razors. So mild, yet incredibly efficient. But the Razorock Old Type clone is incredibly smooth and mild. There are so many great OCs. They feel so different than an SB to me. Except that Tradere. 😎. But for me the WR1 is the absolute pinnacle of OC shaving. No contest.

I agree you should try various OC razors. It's a great learning curve & journey. Enjoy your stops as you try Gillette NEW LC & SC, RFB 2 piece or 3 piece, an early Aristocrat or Senator should be tried, too. And for modern, Timeless, Blackbird, WR 1 &/or 2, & don't leave out Fatip. I encourage you to leap into the open comb rabbit hole. It's really quite comfortable & roomy once you get settled in!!!!

While some people just prefer OC broadly, we view OC as a tool for a job. If you often skip multiple days or a weekend and need to hack through that growth, OC is worth having in the toolbox. Otherwise, SB is generally smoother and best for most use cases.

As far the razor, I don’t think it matters all that much. Maybe grab an OC plate for a razor you already own.
I do have a Blackbird and Vector :)

Top Bottom