What's new

To Open Comb or Not to Open Comb

I’m still trying to master open combs, they have been a love/hate relationship for me. I’ve recently found permasharp blades to be the missing link to a better open comb shave so now I’ll have to revisit several razors

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’ve only tried two open comb razors: the RR Lupo 0.72 OC and the Blackland Era 4OC. I liked both except for one thing: I have whiskers that grow right out of my bottom lip, all the way across.

My technique is probably wanting, but I rest the safety bar right on my bottom lip and lower it until I can locate it in the perfect spot, where I don’t cut my bottom lip but catch all the whiskers so it’s smooth.

With the open combs, I found it much more difficult. The rest of the shaves were great, but that exception lead me to stay with solid bar/ Safety bar razors. I seem to get close enough for 12 hour shaves.

Is there something I’m missing to my detriment, given my face & whiskers?That is actually a serious question. Should I reconsider and if so, to what benefit?

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
Another vote for the Old Type. I haven't tried anywhere near as many razors as most of the gents on here. But at a push I'd say its my favourite De of all time. Buttery smooth but really efficient IMHO.

I do not believe that open combs are by themselves more aggressive than razors with safety bar.

What makes many open comb razors (e.g. Mühle R41) more aggressive is that they often have more blade exposure and a more generous blade gap than otherwise identical models with safety bar (e.g. Mühle R89).
In case of the Mühle R41, what made the original 2011 design less aggressive and more acceptable to many was IMO the 2013 reduction of blade exposure.

I also have two Tatara razors with open comb and with safety bar where both heads have the same blade exposure and gap and for all practical purposes they shave the same.

Where there might be a small difference is in the way the different head designs route the lather when the head glides over the skin, but I consider that difference negligible.

Hope this helps…

B.

Indeed. I don't think I have encountered an OC razor I liked better than the NEW LC.
For smoothness the '30s British TTO OC Aristocrats will compete with the NEW LC with slightly more weight as well. Just to throw out an alternate I find comparable. At least the '36 that I have does IMO. So wonderful to shave with.

I personally like the Old Type thin caps with fixed base plates best for efficiency and adjustability. Standard for a lighter and thinner handle razor. Bulldog for a thicker slighter heavier razor. And the Big Fellow for a longer handle heavier razor.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm partial to the Open Combs, but recently discovered while using Le Maurice from the Atelier Durdan passaround that my old leathery hide doesn't really feel a difference when the geometry is the same, as in a dual combed razor. I fear we are once again at the YMMV point .. but my observation is that an Open Comb isn't inherently more aggressive, or "scary" than the Safety Bar.

I'm partial to the Open Combs, but recently discovered while using Le Maurice from the Atelier Durdan passaround that my old leathery hide doesn't really feel a difference when the geometry is the same, as in a dual combed razor. I fear we are once again at the YMMV point .. but my observation is that an Open Comb isn't inherently more aggressive, or "scary" than the Safety Bar.
I assume that quality OC will be quite similar and not inherently more aggressive. At the most fundamental level, it's just something else to try.

I assume that quality OC will be quite similar and not inherently more aggressive. At the most fundamental level, it's just something else to try.
I have not found OC razors to be inherently more aggressive. What I have found is the influence that the shape of the OC tooth has on the feel of the shave. If the tooth is more rounded (Timeless, Karve and ATT Windsor as examples), the shave usually feels pretty smooth. If the tooth is sharp toward the bottom (Blackbird and Tatara Nodachi) and the angle goes a little steep, the shave can feel uncomfortably sharp. I believe Blackbird has designed both the SB and OC bases to be sharp so the angle stays more shallow as opposed to steep.

One thing I find to be a plus with the OC is the extra soap the teeth allow through on the stroke which allows a second stroke to have more glide without re-lathering.

I have not found OC razors to be inherently more aggressive. What I have found is the influence that the shape of the OC tooth has on the feel of the shave. If the tooth is more rounded (Timeless, Karve and ATT Windsor as examples), the shave usually feels pretty smooth. If the tooth is sharp toward the bottom (Blackbird and Tatara Nodachi) and the angle goes a little steep, the shave can feel uncomfortably sharp. I believe Blackbird has designed both the SB and OC bases to be sharp so the angle stays more shallow as opposed to steep.

One thing I find to be a plus with the OC is the extra soap the teeth allow through on the stroke which allows a second stroke to have more glide without re-lathering.
I always do a double quick ATG stroke. The first time I tried OC’s there was no going back. It is about the lather. It is also blade feel. You feel more blade. Allowing closer more accurate shaves. OC’s are very beautiful with an all business look.

♥️Fatip Gold Grande♥️
IMG_2765.jpeg

Happy Shaves

It's funny, at one point most of my razors were OC. Then as I started to really thin out my collection I wound up with more SBs.
Then when I went to all modern razors, I found that I'm firmly in the SB camp. All my razors (8) give me excellent shaves with a few defining characteristics per razor as to best blades, best pass, best looks etc.

I’ve only tried two open comb razors: the RR Lupo 0.72 OC and the Blackland Era 4OC. I liked both except for one thing: I have whiskers that grow right out of my bottom lip, all the way across.

My technique is probably wanting, but I rest the safety bar right on my bottom lip and lower it until I can locate it in the perfect spot, where I don’t cut my bottom lip but catch all the whiskers so it’s smooth.

With the open combs, I found it much more difficult. The rest of the shaves were great, but that exception lead me to stay with solid bar/ Safety bar razors. I seem to get close enough for 12 hour shaves.

Is there something I’m missing to my detriment, given my face & whiskers?That is actually a serious question. Should I reconsider and if so, to what benefit?
Nah...you're not doing anything wrong as per se. You've found, for yourself, a technique that works for you and gives you a a close shave for up to 12 hours. What else is there? You're really not missing anything. Stick with what works.

Top Bottom