What's new

To fedora or not?

With the reddit and others blazing with hate towards fedoras, I'm all for fedoras.

That said, if you don't want to look dork, you'll have to think about the overall clothes you're wearing with the fedora. Fedora with a fitting suit and a crombie coat is just superb. Fedora with casual clothes can work, but takes some effort. Fedora with a t-shirt, it'll never work, unless the hat happens to be a prop and you're a rap star on a stage.

Also, fedora with glasses... one needs to be even more careful and stick to the classics. No amount of chutzpah will make Oakleys work with a fedora.

proxy.php

Pics look pretty good. It actually is better with the tan coat.

Personally I like the lighter colors. I have several Akrubra campdraft models in various colors from silver belly which is a light tan, to a mid gray and even a darker green and other models in a fawn color and then a dark chocolate brown. I have one Stetson in navy and another I inherited from my dad in black. I am ok with wearing the darker colors but they are just not my thing.

View attachment 421906
On the left, a 1950's Stetson "Gun Club" pork pie. In the center, a 1940's Borsalino "Angora" fedora. On the right, a Filson hat that the weather in these parts has obliged me to wear on far too many day.

You need a hat? A fedora, perhaps. See our friend Michael Meyer at Meyer the Hatter just off St. Charles Street in New Orleans. He'll set you up.
$4087512205_e4ef467ec5_z.jpg

$4087511067_3eb34e6ee6_z.jpg

A fedora? I have had this one since 1983 when this photo was taken in Amsterdam shortly after I bought this nice Stetson at a flea market. the hat and I are both worse for the wear, but I have plenty of others now.
$5116431984_80fec54b89_z.jpg
(Damn, we were both young and thin way back then.)

Presented without further comment, for your ridicule, praise, or indifference.

View attachment 420697View attachment 420698View attachment 420699View attachment 420700View attachment 420701

P.S. There are actually three coats here, although the winter coat and rain coat look almost identical thanks to my poor pictures. The winter coat is longer and more matte.

The fedora looks natural on you, it's a good look.
When I saw the dark coat photos I immediately thought of this;

$harrylime.jpg

Harry Lime (Orson Wells) from The Third Man, one of my favorite films.

Top Bottom