What's new

Tiny manual burr grinder for a french press?

As I've mentioned in the past I'm headed back to school and I love my french press but I've been dying to get a burr grinder. I don't want a big one because there is no room or even an electric one because I don't really want a lot of noise. I didn't realize there are manual grinders until a few days ago but the manual burr grinder I found didn't have any settings so how would I know if I could use it for a french press? Are there any little manual burr grinders that can grind up some nice coarse coffee for a press?

Manual coffee grinders aren't intended for real use they are more for display with few exceptions. The Zassenhaus grinders have a reputation as being quality items. If you can find an old vintage one that's the way to go. I have a new one and find it to be garbage. It doesn't grind evenly and that's after three replacements because the others all had QC defects of very serious natures.

Even the Zass grinders have no graduations on them just a nut you turn until you get the desired result.

The only two decent manual grinders currently being made are the Zassenhaus and Peugeot.

I have the Zassenhaus lima, which I think is a decent grinder:

View attachment 37418

It cost me $75 and is the least expensive grinder Zassenhaus makes.

If you can find a nice vintage one, that's the way to go, as I do hear they're better made and they're cheaper if you don't have to pay a ton for shipping - unfortunately, most of the vintage ones are sold out of Europe and shipping can cost $20 - $30 or more.

If you can, buy the "knee" grinders - these are the ones that have a narrower waist and are designed to be held between the knees (they can also be used on the countertop)

The Zassenhaus adjustment nut can be finicky and you do need to play with it a bit.

I use my Zass almost daily (primarily so I can have fresh ground without waking everybody up) and find the grind to be reasonably consistent (I've had mine for a few months now).

I've seen some reviews of the Hario grinders that use ceramic grinders - they're quite inexpensive (around $30) and supposedly work well if you want to grind for a drip pot or finer. They will do a coarse grind but the grind is inconsistent (the bottom part of the grinder isn't fixed and can jump around at the coarser settings, which results in an uneven grind, but this isn't a problem at the finer settings where the parts are closer together) - this is actually an issue with most manual grinders. This might be a decent alternative for someone looking for an inexpensive hand grinder for a couple of cups at a time.

Here's a link:

http://www.avenue18.ca/TEAPOT/Hario/coffee_series/paypal_pages/5139_mini_coffee_mill.htm

Just so you know, hand grinding for more than 3 - 4 cups can be a chore - I grind for 6 cups every morning and it takes 4 -5 minutes of cranking to get the job done.

I have one of these... holds enough beans (2 SCAA measures) for a 4-cup Bodum French press, and grinds 'em quite nicely. Note: I can fit 3+ measures of beans into it, which is enough for a 3/4-full press, but I normally use a larger hand-crank coffee grinder for the "Big Jobs".

WRT it's not having "gradations": It's a non-issue. After all, it would need to be calibrated, and labeling any setting between Coarse and Fine would be a subjective, rather than objective, assessment. Folks, grinding coffee is not "rocket science".

Here's the link to one -- it's a current ebaY auction.

Live e-bay link edited out by moderator

Zassenhaus has a good reputation, but the best manual grinder on the market these days is definitely from Hario.

Barismo.com is the primary importer, I believe, but I think I remember an announcement that they had run out of stock.

I think Brown has a few still in stock, though.

proxy.php

http://shop.browncoffeeco.com/product.sc?categoryId=25&productId=110

$50.00 I have an antique Mr. Dudley hand grinder that gets use as a novelty, and not a lot else.

Anyway, the Hario hand grinders are all the rage these days. for reasons of "aroma preservation". That's a good reason, but I haven't tried it to verify.

You might check out orphanespresso.com for restored/refurbed pre 50's hand grinders. I wouldn't consider a new Zassenhaus, the quality just isn't the same compared to the old ones.

Cheers,
David

Any body try one of these? Looks good and not terribly expensive, just not very available.

I ran across that the other day and it's got a lot of good reviews, so it's officially on my wishlist now.

Edit: Email Ben at barismo to see if would be getting any more in stock.

I absolutely love my Zassenhaus, but as others have said, it isn't perfectly consistent. I'm intrigued by some of the Hario and Peugot grinders.... I'll have to look into them some more.

Heard back from Ben at Barismo(Quick response. Always a good sign.). He will be get getting these back in stock in February. I am checking with him to see if everyone needs to email him to get on the list for one or if we just wait til they're back in stock.

If you're interested in one of the Hario Skerton mills, send me a PM so I can get an approximate headcount. I will update those people who PM me as soon as the mill is available so they can get ahold of one before they sell out again.

If you're interested in one of the Hario Skerton mills, send me a PM so I can get an approximate headcount. I will update those people who PM me as soon as the mill is available so they can get ahold of one before they sell out again.

Tell Ben I told him to please give this B&B group a discount or a coffee sample with this order. (or something like that)

Just mention Jason at TX-Coffee.com or Espressotrainer.com when you do.

Although, if you don't want to wait, the grinder I posted earlier is the same thing, but from a different seller, and he would probably benefit more than the Barismo crew. (don't tell Ben this part. :001_tongu )

Tell Ben I told him to please give this B&B group a discount or a coffee sample with this order. (or something like that)

Just mention Jason at TX-Coffee.com or Espressotrainer.com when you do.

Although, if you don't want to wait, the grinder I posted earlier is the same thing, but from a different seller, and he would probably benefit more than the Barismo crew. (don't tell Ben this part. :001_tongu )

Will do. However, Brown is selling them for $50, and Barismo for only $40, so we're already getting a discount. :biggrin:

Jasonian - how does this one do with the coarser grinds?

Also, how many cups worth of grounds does it hold?

I use this

proxy.php

... $20 in a halal market. A bit heavy; a grind for a Mokka pot takes about 2 minutes or less, so can be a bit tedious. Consistent grind.

I have a zass of uncertain vintage that does quite well with grinds of all levels. No complaints with it -- it's quiet, small, grinds very well, and doesn't cost a fortune. I actually just upgraded to an electric burr grinder and am looking to sell the zass. PM me if you're interested.

The grind consistency is good.

Just like all hand grinders, it takes time. Since the burrs are very sharp, it'll take less time than an antique grinder, and with better grind quality.

In this particular case, the grind quality is the prime feature. I haven't tried it, but I've heard nothing but great(or better) things from people I trust.

Dang Jasonian, I don't know how I missed your post when I asked about the Hario. It's definitely on my list now. Is the bottom container glass or some kind of plastic? Definitely makes a difference for travel. Static should be less with glass, but breakage might be a problem.

edit to add: BTW, I checked out tx-coffee.com the other day and came away with a recommendation for a nice little shop in Arlington to get some fresh coffee while I was out and about between Ft. Worth and Denton last week. Good site!

Last edited:
Top Bottom