What's new

Timeless razor - scalloped vs. o.c. head

I got cold feet today and changed from matte to polished finish. It just looks stunning on all pictures, and there are very few pictures to find of the matte version.

For you who already own a Timeless with polished finish - how vulnerable is it for scratches and nicks?

I've been using mine daily for about 3 months and it is still flawless. Don't abuse it and it will look great forever.

It is tough. Take care of it. I like to use those little cloths that come with a new pair of glasses to wipe it off. Not an alcohol wipe. The nice little fabric towel that comes with the glasses. You can also put a little car wax on it. Don't rub it hard, just apply a thin layer to the razor and wipe it off when it dries.

I am OCD about my razors and both my Timeless are cleaned, dried, blades removed and polished after each use so they look like the day I got them. I've been following this post and I'm glad you went with the polished finish, as I think that it shows off the craftsmanship even more than the matte finish does. Of course that's just my opinion.

I am OCD about my razors and both my Timeless are cleaned, dried, blades removed and polished after each use so they look like the day I got them. I've been following this post and I'm glad you went with the polished finish, as I think that it shows off the craftsmanship even more than the matte finish does. Of course that's just my opinion.

I agree on your opinion on the finish. I think this razor will become my "sunday shaver" / a razor for more careful use and display.

I do know that my RAD probably will end up in more razors in the future. Maybe a Timeless in matte? [emoji51]

Now my only concern is the lenght of the handle. Maybe I should buy an extra 85 mm handle in addition to the 100 mm handle?

I agree on your opinion on the finish. I think this razor will become my "sunday shaver" / a razor for more careful use and display.

I do know that my RAD probably will end up in more razors in the future. Maybe a Timeless in matte? [emoji51]

Now my only concern is the lenght of the handle. Maybe I should buy an extra 85 mm handle in addition to the 100 mm handle?

I thought that to the first time ordering but when I got my first one which had the barber pole handle it just felt so right. When I say right I'm talking about the razor having IMHO perfect balance and I have average sized hands. I just did a comparison in SE razors where I compared the Oneblade Genesis to a GEM 1912 and talk about different handle lengths and weight of razor. I guess it doesn't get more extreme and yet I was able to adjust to the weight and handle length because both those razors were designed properly and both well balanced. So the point I'm trying to make is give the 100mil handle a few shaves and I'm sure you will not only dial it in but really enjoy it. The Timeless .95 is still the only razor tin my collection hat has given me what I call a level 3 BBS and I've got a pretty good selection of both modern and vintage razors. So use it and enjoy it my friend. Just take good care of it and it will stay in pristine condition. In fact I like the razor so much I may have it plated in Rhodium in the future as I don't see me ever selling it. Replating would not only increase the mirror finish beyond where it is ( had my Fatboy done and WOW ) but it will preserve that finish way beyond my lifetime and one day my son will get it as I've gotten him into this thing we do called wet shaving. Let me know how you like the handle.

Wow, some of you guys go "all out" when maintaining your razors.

I rinse mine and shake excess water and leave it on the stand to dry, clean in great details and wipe/dry every few weeks. Is there any reason to believe that this isn't enough and Timeless would need more maintenance than this to last? I have zero interest in spending my time fully disassembling, drying and polishing my razors after each use. If that's what their manual states is needed to protect it (would be surprising since it is stainless steel) then it's definitively not a razor for me, as beautiful as it is?

I rinse mine and shake excess water and leave it on the stand to dry, clean in great details and wipe/dry every few weeks. Is there any reason to believe that this isn't enough and Timeless would need more maintenance than this to last? I have zero interest in spending my time fully disassembling, drying and polishing my razors after each use. If that's what their manual states is needed to protect it (would be surprising since it is stainless steel) then it's definitively not a razor for me, as beautiful as it is?
That's probably enough. I do the same, but give it a good cleaning when I change the blade, which I do about once a week. Four or five shaves. The same routine for all my razors.

Uh no.... Please don't give me another fancy idea... But wait... Thats... Tempting... Ugh...

Btw, can a titanium handle plated in Rhodium?
I can be a trouble maker! LOL hey just kidding but I'm not sure on the titanium being able to be plated in Rhodium. It may be a very tough surface as it stands but good question. I'm sure if you want to find out the answer just call the Razor Emporium. They pick up and you can get a very quick answer rather than go back and forth with emails to some of the other fine replatie sites. You can shop price after you find out if it's even possible.

I can be a trouble maker! LOL hey just kidding but I'm not sure on the titanium being able to be plated in Rhodium. It may be a very tough surface as it stands but good question. I'm sure if you want to find out the answer just call the Razor Emporium. They pick up and you can get a very quick answer rather than go back and forth with emails to some of the other fine replatie sites. You can shop price after you find out if it's even possible.

I will try to ask them... Thanks a lot

I think what you're doing is absolutely all that is required to maintain your Timeless or any other razor. I'm just a little OCD and since my rotation is normally at about 10 razors, I just like to take them apart clean & dry them and give them a quick polish with a microfiber cloth each time I use them. I've got it down to like 2 minutes at the most. It may have sounded like I use a metal polisher each time I use them and I do that once in a blue moon but only on some of my vintage razors.

That's probably enough. I do the same, but give it a good cleaning when I change the blade, which I do about once a week. Four or five shaves. The same routine for all my razors.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I do, except instead of every week, probably every 2-3 blade switches, approximately every 2-3 weeks or so.

I think what you're doing is absolutely all that is required to maintain your Timeless or any other razor. I'm just a little OCD and since my rotation is normally at about 10 razors, I just like to take them apart clean & dry them and give them a quick polish with a microfiber cloth each time I use them. I've got it down to like 2 minutes at the most. It may have sounded like I use a metal polisher each time I use them and I do that once in a blue moon but only on some of my vintage razors.

Yeah, I get that, thanks.

I know myself pretty well by now. :D I just have no time or patience to be super detailed every single time with cleaning and detailing.

:thumbsup:
Thanks, that's pretty much what I do, except instead of every week, probably every 2-3 blade switches, approximately every 2-3 weeks or so.

Yeah, I get that, thanks.

I know myself pretty well by now. :D I just have no time or patience to be super detailed every single time with cleaning and detailing.

Got it:thumbsup:

resurrecting an old thread.....

Still not clear about the functional aspect of the scalloped baseplate and the hierarchy between the three plates.

OC (maximum skin exposure to blade) > Scalloped (in between OC and SB)> SB (least skin exposure to blade)

Is this correct?

resurrecting an old thread.....

Still not clear about the functional aspect of the scalloped baseplate and the hierarchy between the three plates.

OC (maximum skin exposure to blade) > Scalloped (in between OC and SB)> SB (least skin exposure to blade)

Is this correct?
There are those who would agree with what you have said. The other school of thought on this is that the real benefit to the open comb (OC) and scalloped is that they leave more soap on the skin for the blade, which follows. Those who subscribe to this thinking would argue that the geometry of all three plates is identical so if your technique is sound (correct angle and pressure) the shave should be the same regardless of which plate you are using. I have only used the straight bar .95, so until I have a chance to try other Timeless plates I have to follow the logic of that second school of thought. I have an ATT R2 (OC) and have tried an R1 (SB) and didn't feel any difference.

A little Rennaisance Wax on any metal finish once every 6 months or annually will provide any extra protection needed, and for polished SS that's probably overkill.

The other school of thought on this is that the real benefit to the open comb (OC) and scalloped is that they leave more soap on the skin for the blade, which follows.

That makes sense too....and it sounds like a good thing. I am toying with the scalloped plate and just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing it for purely aesthetic reasons. The scalloped top seems purely aesthetic to me.

Top Bottom