What's new

Timeless Razor/Blade Selection

+1 on the Astra SP BUT I never had good luck with mine. Every time it cut me under my nose. It's the only razor that ever did that. I had good results everywhere else but I got fed up with getting cut so I gave mine away. I switched to a Rockwell and haven't looked back.

I have a Merkur slant that I use if I don’t shave for a few days. I use a Feather in that also for the first pass. It cuts through a heavy beard like butter.

So much variation as others have mentioned, that our opinions don’t matter here. For what it’s worth, however, I will say that I haven’t found the razor to be picky about blade choice. Meaning, blades that I’ve successfully used in other razors work great in the SS. Those that didn’t work in others continue to struggle. I think the design is forgiving enough that your favorite blades so far will be great.

As I read your reply I envisioned the 95 and feather blade dragging down your face ripping layers of skin off while you screamed. I know that wouldn't happen but that's what I saw.

I also envision the same thing when I look at my bakelite slant.

Mate, you had me looking for the 'Like' button!
Somehow I managed to bung in a Gillette Platinum not the Feather. My wee bathroom stash had no Feathers left and I couldn't be faffed walking out of the bathroom to go to the 'Main Stash'. Yeah, I'm a tad lazy at that time of the morning. Anyway, the Feather will have to wait. The Platinum is giving a nice close shave so all is good.

Hello all,

I’ve been shaving with a Merkur Barberpole razor paired with Feather razor blades for quite awhile.
....The razor was leaving strips of high spots. I changed blades, thoroughly cleaned the razor and even swapped out tops with a spare Merkur. Still the same issue.
By chance was the DE razor dropped...
I see you cleaned it but my feather blade wrappings have
a gunk like glue to keep the blade from dulling. Double check
the inner surfaces of the shave head for buildup.

Since head is metal you can pour boiling water on it and the blade.
Rinse the head and blade with the handle unscrewed about half way
using hot tap water or even tea kettle hot water.

Do the bright light inspection thing and even zoom in with a cell
phone camera. A Merkur Barber pole DE just does not wear out.

By chance was the DE razor dropped...
I see you cleaned it but my feather blade wrappings have
a gunk like glue to keep the blade from dulling. Double check
the inner surfaces of the shave head for buildup.

Since head is metal you can pour boiling water on it and the blade.
Rinse the head and blade with the handle unscrewed about half way
using hot tap water or even tea kettle hot water.

Do the bright light inspection thing and even zoom in with a cell
phone camera. A Merkur Barber pole DE just does not wear out.

I went at it with a bathroom cleaner/soap scum remover and a toothbrush. The problem still exists through several blade changes. I will try setting it in some very hot water and take another run at it with a tooth brush. Maybe SWMBO knocked it to the floor at some point and never gave it a thought? I must say that I really am enjoying the new razor, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first started I purchased a sample packet from Amazon. The Astra Platinum were sharp and affordable as compared to other brands. Seems like I paid $9 for 100.

None of the blade advice given means anything, because they don't have the same face as you. There are too many variables to be able to know what will work with someone else.

Best thing is just to get a sampler. I like the top ten sampler from TryABlade.com, or if you are careful, you can do well on eBay and/or Amazon.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

+3! Yes indeed!!

What works for me may, or likely may not work for you. The best option is to work your way through a blade sampler pack or two.

Just a quick update for @joeyboy
I've used a Feather in the OC .95 twice now, and no problems.
Shaves nicely, and smoothly as a Timeless does.
The Timeless performs some sort of magic, as when using a Feather in other of my razors the first use has a bit of harshness. Not so with the Timeless, smooth from the get-go. Probably better blade clamping?
Only have about 1000 blades to use up now until I can have an excuse to buy more.

I’ve used a Feather blade with no issues. Right now there is a Polsilver in it. I like that also. I’d say it’s smoother than the Feather.

Yes, thanks @DavidU , I've waiting on some Polsilvers to arrive to try them out.
Used them some years ago, and didn't like them in my NEW LC, or Fatboy but decided it was worth trying them again as the Timeless may love them.

The Timeless razor that I own doesn't seem to care what blade I use in it. It shaves excellent with any blade and I've tried quite a few different ones in it. To the point that I'll use this razor to get rid of the blades that I don't care for anymore.

If I were to recommend a blade for this razor Astra SP and Feathers shave equally well so with the Astra SP blades being about half the cost of the Feather blades you might choose those.

The Timeless razor that I own doesn't seem to care what blade I use in it. It shaves excellent with any blade and I've tried quite a few different ones in it. To the point that I'll use this razor to get rid of the blades that I don't care for anymore.

If I were to recommend a blade for this razor Astra SP and Feathers shave equally well so with the Astra SP blades being about half the cost of the Feather blades you might choose those.

I also get more shaves out of the Astra SP.
Feather 2-3 shaves
Astra SP 4-5 shaves

The Timeless Razor is an awesome piece of equipment. I will be trying the Astra blades next.

I’ve used Feather and the Astra SP thus far in my Timeless razors. I prefer the Astra SP’s currently, but have some Nacet and GSB blades that I need to try.

proxy.php

My current set up. I’m a fan of the Proraso Green [emoji16]

Just had my first shave with a .68 scalloped base plate and dropped in a Derby Extra blade. I used a soap that I hadn't used in a long while, the Arko soap stick that I squashed into a spare bowl I had. This soap is so underrated and forgot how good it was. Anyway, I had the best shave ever in over 10 years of DE shaving. I also second www.tryablade.com, this will allow you to figure out which blade is best for your face and razor. If you're lost for choice, the blades that I have liked in other razors are Gillette - 7 0'Clock - SharpEdge, Gillette - Silver Blue and Voskhod - Teflon Coated. I will try these out eventually in the Timeless. On another forum I saw someone recommend the Shark Super Stainless for the Timeless.

I have had my Timeless SB .68 since October, 2017. So far, I have used Personna Labs, GSBs, Lord Platinum, and Astra blades in it. I have gotten up to 14 excellent shaves with the Labs, 8 with the GSBs and Lords, and 5 with the Astras. I am currently using the Timeless with GSBs.

I was looking at some of the sample packs and it’s almost overwhelming, lol. I liken this process to my choices in cigars or whiskey. I like to stay in the same family and refine my choices from there.

Try a flight of Gillette blades: Rubie, Nacet, Silver Blue (GSB), and Platinum. I've never tried the 7 o'clock line, but have read good things as well.
If you drink whisky in addition to whiskey, try a 16 year old Lagavulin. A smooth, moderatey strong single malt that tastes like it's been filtered through a burnt, sweaty kily! ...but in a good way!

Top Bottom