What's new

Timeless Razor/Blade Selection

Hello all,

I’ve been shaving with a Merkur Barberpole razor paired with Feather razor blades for quite awhile. Recently I noticed the shave quality decline. The razor was leaving strips of high spots. I changed blades, thoroughly cleaned the razor and even swapped out tops with a spare Merkur. Still the same issue. I decided that it was time to try a new DE razor so I ordered a stainless steel Timeless Razor, scalloped base, matte finish with a .95mm blade gap. I shave daily and have a fairly heavy beard growth.

I was looking for thoughts/opinions as to which DE razor blades would pair well with my Timeless Razor?

I've only tried a couple blades with mine. So far, the best one for me is Polsilver.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

All of the blades that I tried were quite good. I prefer less sharp blades with .95 something like Astra SP.
I tried Astra, Permasharp, Polsilver, Feather.

What works best for me. 0.95 scalloped base paired with Astra Green. 0.68 scalloped base paired with a Feather.

I use Personna Labs with everything and they work well with the Timeless. I’ve only had mine for 1 week so I haven’t tried anything else.

What works best for me. 0.95 scalloped base paired with Astra Green. 0.68 scalloped base paired with a Feather.
I only have the OC baseplates (.95 and .68), but I do agree about the .68 and a Feather.
A nice close, smooth shave.
Using a Nacet with the .95 but will bung in a Feather when a new blade is due (Hey, what's the worst that could happen? Or...in other words...'Hold my beer and watch this').

None of the blade advice given means anything, because they don't have the same face as you. There are too many variables to be able to know what will work with someone else.

Best thing is just to get a sampler. I like the top ten sampler from TryABlade.com, or if you are careful, you can do well on eBay and/or Amazon.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

None of the blade advice given means anything, because they don't have the same face as you. There are too many variables to be able to know what will work with someone else.

Best thing is just to get a sampler. I like the top ten sampler from TryABlade.com, or if you are careful, you can do well on eBay and/or Amazon.

This x 100

Yes, sampler pack is a great way to find that blade.

I’m going to start with trying the Astra SP and the Polsilver SI. Thanks for the suggestions.

I was looking at some of the sample packs and it’s almost overwhelming, lol. I liken this process to my choices in cigars or whiskey. I like to stay in the same family and refine my choices from there.

I'm currently on a run with a Nacet, and they really shine and become even smoother around the 3rd shave, but but I plan on trying a Feather.

For the Astra SP suggestions, be warned if you haven't tried them yet, there's either a LOT more blade feel or they're a a bit less smooth than a Nacet, PolSilver, or Wilkinson Sword. (The Wilkinson are a bit edgier or aren't ultimately as smooth as a Nacet, but still better than an Astra SP....and I like Astra SP blades in most razors, my Timeless isn't one of them).

Don't recall if I've run a GSB in mine, but I do have one or two left in the tuck.

I only have the OC baseplates (.95 and .68), but I do agree about the .68 and a Feather.
A nice close, smooth shave.
Using a Nacet with the .95 but will bung in a Feather when a new blade is due (Hey, what's the worst that could happen? Or...in other words...'Hold my beer and watch this').
As I read your reply I envisioned the 95 and feather blade dragging down your face ripping layers of skin off while you screamed. I know that wouldn't happen but that's what I saw.

I also envision the same thing when I look at my bakelite slant.

Top Bottom