What's new

Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220908_155341~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors SS Vector SB (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (7 and retired)
Brush: @apshaveco Jade (AP Shave Co 26mm Synbad Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile EdT Spray
20220908_155534~2.jpg

The SS Vector is my Alpha Big Dog AC Blade and Overall Alpha Big Dog Razor! The GTC 25g handle complements the SS Vector head beautifully. The combination receives high scores on all of my required razor attributes. Overall, an exceptionally effective razor that I could easily and happily shave with every day! :thumbup:

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11921837

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220910_143118~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors SS Vector SB (GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Feather Pro Super (2)
Brush: @apshaveco White (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)

The SS Vector is my favorite razor! The GTC 25g handle complements the SS Vector head beautifully. The Feather Pro Super blade is not quite as smooth as the Kai MG blade, but it does kick the efficiency up a notch. This combination also receives high scores on all of my required razor attributes. Overall, an exceptionally effective razor! :thumbup:
20220910_143243~2.jpg

Superb top tier shave in all respects! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11924669

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20220911_114827~2.jpg

Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
20220911_114933~2.jpg

The V3-A is listed as the high efficiency member of the RR Hawk V3 family (A = Aggressive?). This is a razor that does not lend itself to a steep angle. I use a shallow side of neutral angle to get a medium efficient shave. The V3-A is smooth. It does not, however, keep up with my top Alpha Big Dog AC razors in the nimble and maneuverable attributes. Overall, the V3-A is a good razor that resides somewhere in the Extended - Occasional Use and Runs With The Big Dogs Categories! :thumbup:

Superb razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11925800

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After Single Edge SEptember, my revised Alpha Big Dogs SE Razors:
  • Overall #1: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade: Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB Plate, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Blackland Razors Stainless Vector SB & OC Plates, GTx or Ti Handle
  • AC Blade (Honorable Mention): Colonial Razors The General, GTx or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Current): Blackland Razors Sabre L2, GTx or Ti Handle
  • GEM (Vintage): GEM MMOC & BMMOC
  • GEM (Vintage - Honorable Mention): GEM Feather Weight
  • SE using a DE Blade (Vintage): Jones Shake-Sharp v1
The Ti Vector, Stainless Vector and The General are all superlative Daily Drivers. Effective, smooth, nimble & maneuverable and absolutely predictable. All three are extremely effective razors! The Ti wins out due to superior face feel.

One thing for sure, you can't go wrong with any of these three AC blade razors. :thumbup:

Just my opinion. :cool:

View attachment 1521101
Razor: RazoRock Hawk V3-A (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Venom Handle (TNS 26mm Timberwolf Fan)
View attachment 1521102
The V3-A is listed as the high efficiency member of the RR Hawk V3 family (A = Aggressive?). This is a razor that does not lend itself to a steep angle. I use a shallow side of neutral angle to get a medium efficient shave. The V3-A is smooth. It does not, however, keep up with my top Alpha Big Dog AC razors in the nimble and maneuverable attributes. Overall, the V3-A is a good razor that resides somewhere in the Extended - Occasional Use and Runs With The Big Dogs Categories! :thumbup:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11925800
For September, I picked up the RR Hawk V3 with all three plates and found the most efficient combination for me was the Feather Pro Super blade with the standard base plate (the A plate with the Pro Super blade was too much for me).

Another good combination (but not as efficient for me) was the Feather Pro blade with the A base plate. The A plate does not get bogged down in heavy stubble like the standard plate can in my shaves.

Great thread!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For September, I picked up the RR Hawk V3 with all three plates and found the most efficient combination for me was the Feather Pro Super blade with the standard base plate (the A plate with the Pro Super blade was too much for me).

Another good combination (but not as efficient for me) was the Feather Pro blade with the A base plate. The A plate does not get bogged down in heavy stubble like the standard plate can in my shaves.

Great thread!
Good selection of plate and blade. The A plate paired with the Pro Super is an excellent combination. :)

Until now, I did not know that the RR Hawk has multiple baseplates. I have the SS RR Hawk (V3 according to the BB member I purchased it from). It only had the one baseplate and there are no discerning markings on it that would identify it as mild or aggressive.

However, I can tell you that it is quite mild. It's also one of my two holy grail razors. I like it as a daily driver with a Kai Titan regular blade.

Alt-Tab
I was digging through a box of stuff and found a stash of GEM blades that I had ordered. There are a few SS, PTFE, and Carbon blades. So I dug out the Sabre and put the L2 plate on it and gave one of the SS blades a go this morning. I think I should have started with the L1 instead. Not that I massacred my face or anything like that. It's just going to be a minor re-learning curve before I can get the shave that I am really trying for.

FYI today's shave setup.
Preshave: Hot Shower using goat's milk soap.
Razor: Blackland Sabre (L2)
Blade: GEM type stainless steel
Soap: Katie's Bubbles - Le Piment de la Vie
Afterwards:
Damp alum block (let it dry on)
Witch Hazel splash
Clubman Pinaud AS

Until now, I did not know that the RR Hawk has multiple baseplates. I have the SS RR Hawk (V3 according to the BB member I purchased it from). It only had the one baseplate and there are no discerning markings on it that would identify it as mild or aggressive.

However, I can tell you that it is quite mild. It's also one of my two holy grail razors. I like it as a daily driver with a Kai Titan regular blade.

Alt-Tab
I was digging through a box of stuff and found a stash of GEM blades that I had ordered. There are a few SS, PTFE, and Carbon blades. So I dug out the Sabre and put the L2 plate on it and gave one of the SS blades a go this morning. I think I should have started with the L1 instead. Not that I massacred my face or anything like that. It's just going to be a minor re-learning curve before I can get the shave that I am really trying for.

FYI today's shave setup.
Razor: Blackland Sabre (L2)
Blade: GEM type stainless steel
Soap: Katie's Bubbles - Le Piment de la Vie
Afterwards:
Witch Hazel splash
Clubman Pinaud AS
I have the Razorock Hawk V3 with all three plates. If I remember correctly, the standard plate just says 'Hawk' the 'aggressive' plate says 'Hawk A' and the open comb probably has 'Hawk OC' on it but it is an easy plate to identify . :biggrin1:

I also shaved with my Sabre and L2 plate today using two shims and it gave a close BBS/BBS- shave.

I have the Razorock Hawk V3 with all three plates. If I remember correctly, the standard plate just says 'Hawk' the 'aggressive' plate says 'Hawk A' and the open comb probably has 'Hawk OC' on it but it is an easy plate to identify . :biggrin1:

I also shaved with my Sabre and L2 plate today using two shims and it gave a close BBS/BBS- shave.
Good to know.

Continuing with my Sabre:
Today I swapped out the L2 for the L1 and had a decent DFS with it.

FYI today's shave setup.
Razor: Blackland Sabre (L1)
Blade: GEM type stainless steel (2)
Soap: Williams
Brush: Rudy Vey Boar
Afterwards:
Witch Hazel splash
Clubman Pinaud AS

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221020_082407~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp 25g GTC Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (6)
Brush: RazoRock Hive Mokasoft HD Synthetic
Lather: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Proraso Red
Fragrance: Classic Match Oud EdT Spray
20221020_082452~2.jpg

Another superb shave with the Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB + Doug’s 25g GTC handle and Schick Proline P blade! :001_wub:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11976818

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221022_125801~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (Timeless Spiral TRH6 Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (1)
Brush: @apshaveco White (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Lather: WPS Rustic Tobacco
Aftershave: Aproxo Perfecto+
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray
20221022_125840~2.jpg

Shaving with the ATT X1 Slant is a pleasure, size and weight notwithstanding. The X1 has earned a place in my top group of AC blade razors, all of which can be used as Daily Drivers. :001_wub:

A superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11980070

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Current AC razors ranking:
  • Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB
  • Blackland Razors SS Vector SB
  • Colonial Razors The General
  • Above The Tie X1 Slant
All four of these razors are eminently suitable and capable as my Daily Driver. The General edges out the X1 due to better nimble and maneuverable attributes performance. The Vectors edge out The General and the X1 due to superior nimble and maneuverable attributes performance. The Ti Vector SB edges out the Stainless Vector SB due to better face feel - during and post-shave.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221023_120505~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie X1 Slant (TiBam Antique Ti Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (2)
Brush: @Rudy Vey 2022 B&B Contributors Brush (Mühle 25mm STF)
Lather: WPS Rustic Tobacco
20221023_120546~2.jpg

Another wonderful shave with the ATT X1 Slant. :001_wub:

The X1 is a superb AC blade razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11981385

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221024 Shave #2
20221024_210043~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25g Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Frickwerkz Handle (PAA 26mm Roswell Grey Hybrid)
Lather: MdC Nature
20221024_210400~2.jpg

Superb top tier shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11983314

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (3)
Brush: Turn-N-Shave 25mm Quartermoon Fan
Lather: Cyril R. Salter Indian Sandalwood
20221025_192659~2.jpg

Superb AC blade razor and a superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11984867

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221026_134837~2.jpg

Razor: Colonial Razors The General V2 (@Rosseforp GTS 25g Handle)
Blade: Schick Proline P (3)
Brush: @apshaveco Ruby Ripple (AP Shave Co 24mm Cashmere knot)
20221026_134929~2.jpg

Superb AC blade razor and a superb shave! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11986191

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Schick Proline P (4)
Brush: @apshaveco Lemon Drop (AP Shave Co 24mm G5C Fan)
20221027_142628~2.jpg

In all respects, a superb AC blade razor! :cool:

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11987496

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Schick Proline P (5)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
20221028_162408~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-11989006

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221106_121103~2.jpg

Blade: Schick Proline P (9)
Brush: @AP Shave Co Lemon Drop (AP Shave Co 24mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: None - Face Lathered
Lather: Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Pino Silvestre Oud Absolute EdT Spray

The ATT X1 Slant is one of four AC blade razors that sit at the top of my AC blade Big Dogs Category. It really is that good! :001_wub:
20221106_121144~2.jpg

Notes from today's shave: Post in thread 'never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge' never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12001270

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20221122_161355~2.jpg

Razor: @Above The Tie Stainless SE1 (TiBam New York Ti Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (2)
Brush: Yaqi Dandelion Green 24mm Cashmere
Lather: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood Tub Cream
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Fragrance: Classic Match Homme EdT Spray
20221122_161441~2.jpg

Superb razor! Review posted in my Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12021771

Top Bottom