Time To Do A SE Razor Shaving Comparison

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday 20210524
20210524_213545~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Sabre L2 :001_wub:
Blade: Personna GEM (3)
Brush: TurnNShave Handle (TNS 25mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum

The Sabre is a great razor. My #1 GEM blade razor. :thumbup:

Superb, and very satisfying, shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210530_115120~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (2)
Brush: Rudy Vey "The Favorite" (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Aftershave/Fragrance: Bootlegger's El Dorado

Shaving with the Vector is such a wonderful pleasure - absolutely effortless and highly effective. It doesn't get any better than this. :thumbup:

Superb Shave! :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210531_110822~2.jpg

Blade: Personna GEM (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey Irish Bog Oak (IBO) (Mühle 25mm Silvertip Fibre)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Brut Classic

The Sabre is one of my favorite razors and my #1 GEM blade razor. :thumbup:

Superb shave! :cool:

Here's my current thinking:

AC Blade Razors:
  • Blackland Razors Vector (OC & SB Plates)
  • Colonial Razors The General
  • RazoRock Hawk v3 OC
GEM Blade Razors:
  • Blackland Razors Sabre L2
  • GEM MMOC
  • GEM Featherweight Deluxe
  • Ever-Ready 1914 "Little Lather Catcher"
DE Blade used in a Single Edge configuration:
  • Jones Shake Sharp v1
  • Jones Shake Sharp v2
Hope this helps. :)

As always, YMMV. :cool:
I haven't been able (yet) to justify the cost of the Vector and I haven't tried the General, but with regard to AC Blade razors, I prefer Classic Shaving's Enoch to the Razorock Hawk. I owned both the SB and OC Hawk V3, and while they were both fine razors, I find the Enoch both smoother and more efficient. Of course, as you said, YMMV.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I haven't been able (yet) to justify the cost of the Vector and I haven't tried the General, but with regard to AC Blade razors, I prefer Classic Shaving's Enoch to the Razorock Hawk. I owned both the SB and OC Hawk V3, and while they were both fine razors, I find the Enoch both smoother and more efficient. Of course, as you said, YMMV.

I have, and have shaved with, the original Occam's SE Razor. Don't have, nor have I shaved with, the ENOCH.

One of the razors that, if the right deal came along and caught me in the mood, I'd get to see how it compares to the Vector. :)

Much Thanks to David aka @never-stop-learning , because of this informative thread I am a very happy with my Vector. It absolutely lives up to the hype. I’m shocked how good it is! The Force is strong with the Vector! It is like wielding a light saber across your face, the maneuverability is on another level. :a45:
1D4C6F9E-8818-48FC-8B17-F2D996AF5255.jpeg

David, thank you again my friend. This is my first SE razor and may be my last. It’s that good!! Maybe I’ll pick the oc vector plate for variety.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Much Thanks to David aka @never-stop-learning , because of this informative thread I am a very happy with my Vector. It absolutely lives up to the hype. I’m shocked how good it is! The Force is strong with the Vector! It is like wielding a light saber across your face, the maneuverability is on another level. :a45:
View attachment 1275124
David, thank you again my friend. This is my first SE razor and may be my last. It’s that good!! Maybe I’ll pick the oc vector plate for variety.

Thank you for your kind feedback. :)

I'm happy that you are pleased with the Vector. :)

The Vector taught me just how desirable the traits "nimble" and "maneuverable" are in a razor. :cool:

I have, and have shaved with, the original Occam's SE Razor. Don't have, nor have I shaved with, the ENOCH.

One of the razors that, if the right deal came along and caught me in the mood, I'd get to see how it compares to the Vector. :)
I also had an original Occam's SE razor with all three plates. It didn't suit me at all. The Enoch is in no way similar to the original Occam's razor; if you get hold of one I'll be very interested to hear your evaluation of it.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I also had an original Occam's SE razor with all three plates. It didn't suit me at all. The Enoch is in no way similar to the original Occam's razor; if you get hold of one I'll be very interested to hear your evaluation of it.

The original was okay, just bulky, hard to load and not at all efficient - even with the 3-dot plate.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for an ENOCH. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210606_121404~2.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Feather Pro Super (1)
Brush: AP Shave Co Elegant Emerald (24mm Synbad Knot)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

The Vector efficiency can be tailored by plate + AC blade. The OC plate + the Feather Pro Super is the most efficient combination. Used my preferred steep angle (SASA Rocks :punk:) and enjoyed an effortless and highly effective shave. Shaving with the Vector - it doesn't get any better than this. :thumbup:

Superb Shave! :cool:

I plan to write my impressions about the Twig razor soon. It came in the mail Friday and I used it the past two days. I am (or was) a DE guy but for now the Twig has zoomed into my #1 most appreciated razor.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I plan to write my impressions about the Twig razor soon. It came in the mail Friday and I used it the past two days. I am (or was) a DE guy but for now the Twig has zoomed into my #1 most appreciated razor.
Outstanding! Very much looking forward to your comments! :cool:

BACKGROUND

I used to hate shaving. I am retired and using a Gillette Fusion 2 or 3 times a week was just something a guy had to do.

I got into this hobby about five months ago. Like most members on this forum, I have my own spiraling rabbit hole story. Last month I was in GRUME and spent the time resisting the urge to make yet another impulse shaving purchase. Instead, I spent more time enjoying the hardware and software I already have. The only SE razor I had on hand was the RR Hawk V2. I used it 5 or 6 times but to be honest, I wasn't infatuated with the way it shaved. The razor head is longer than DE razors and shaving was not that comfortable. I reviewed and read about other SE options and finally decided to purchase the Twig.

THE TWIG

I ordered the frosted chrome Twig on Tuesday this past week and it arrived Friday. The packaging was adequate. The Twig uses "half" of a DE blade. I folded and snapped a Nacet blade in half (WHILE IT WAS STILL IN THE PAPER WRAPPER) and it was easy to do. The razor opens quickly by turning the bottom of the handle. The cap rises and turns to the side. It is somewhat similar to a TTO DE razor. There is a magnet and guide plates to make loading the blade a no brainer. The cap swivels down to hold the blade firmly. Rigidity of the exposed blade edge seems to be excellent. In my hand the razor was definitely bottom heavy. Holding the razor initially felt awkward...until I started shaving. The head is smaller than a DE or the Hawk. Because of the smaller head, the razor is nimble and easy to maneuver. The design, finish and contours is like a Lexus compared to a Honda.

It only took two or three strokes to find a good shaving angle. Holding the bottom and middle of the handle makes the head seem like a featherweight, which is a good thing for the Twig. Advocates of "no pressure" shaving will instantly like this razor. I really believe the positive comments I am making about this product was by design. My kudos to Leaf! The Twig seems like a "safety" razor. It is mild and efficient at the same time. I don't want to be a one razor shaver but today I had to actually resist the urge to use the Twig again. I think it is that good.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210607_162436~2.jpg

Razor: GEM MMOC (w/Bumps)
Blade: Personna GEM (5)
Brush: TurnNShave 25mm Quartermoon
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Treat the MMOC with respect and proper technique and it will reward you with a superb high efficiency shave! One of the best value high efficiency razors out there! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Schick Proline (3)
Brush: PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell Hybrid Synthetic
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fragrance: Belcam Volatile For Men EdT Spray
shave 20210613_092958_2.jpg

Nimble, maneuverable, efficient, smooth, effective - the Vector has all of these positive attributes, and more! :thumbup:

Superb razor! :cool:

I recently received a stainless steel Razorock Hawk (V3) from another member here.
After a 10 min bath in Barbicide I put a nice Captain Kai Titan (regular) blade and gave it a go.
This is a very, very mild razor. Only my Schick I1 is only slightly more mild (and that's not a bad thing). I think because it is a very mild razor I've likely been using more pressure than some other razors that I have and have ended up with a bit of razor burn on my first few shaves with it. I think I was trying too hard. The last couple of shaves were much better.

Fast forward to today's shave:
Razor = SSRR Hawk V3
Blade = Captain Kai (6)
Soap = Proraso White (tub)
Bowl = My Mug (I skipped the bowl and lathered right on my ugly mug ;) )
Brush = RR Plissoft Synth (Italian Flag)
AS = Proraso Green (splash)

I did something today that some would consider taboo. I started WTG and skipped right to ATG for my 2nd pass ('cept under my nose, that never gets ATG or bad things happen). It was a very fast, very nice and mild shave that yielded a very high (near BBS) DFS. Two pass and done in less than 5 min.

I got lots of kisses from the missus ;)
I think that this razor is going to end up being my new daily driver. I'll give the Kai a couple more weeks and then change up to a Feather Pro to see how that goes.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Monday
20210614_212238~2.jpg

Blade: Personna GEM (6)
Brush: Ever-Ready 79 ("Blood" Knot)
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fragrance: Al Rehab Silver

The Sabre L2 is efficient, smooth and effective. My favorite GEM blade razor! :thumbup:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Blade: Schick Proline (5)
Brush: Graydog Backyard Maple Chubby (TNS 26mm Full Moon Knot)
Lather: Stirling Electric Sheep
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Fragrance: Original Stetson Cologne
20210627_102826~2.jpg

The Vector is the best AC blade razor in my Den! :thumbup:

Top Bottom