What's new

GIVEAWAY! Three chances to win!

depositphotos_43550025-stock-photo-contest-word-stars-fireworks-exciting.jpg

There will be three winners drawn by random.org for this contest. Each winner will have $50.00 to spend in the Captain's Choice store. Can you say, "Lather bowl?" :thumbup:

With Mother's Day upon us I thought the topic would be a good one. Answer this and you will be entered:

1. Tell of a memorable time with your mother - can be funny, serious, embarrassing, or anything else that comes to mind.

Will let this run a few days and draw the winner early next week. This is CONUS only please.

Good luck!

~ The Captain

Last edited:
I'm in!! Great topic and PIF, @Captain Pre-Capsize!!

I love my Mom and am grateful that she is still living!! Mom always made sure that anything special that she gave to us 3 kids (Sister, Brother, and myself) was equal amounts, whether it was candy in our Christmas stocking, prizes in a birthday bag, or whatever. As I got older, I would notice that she was mentally estimating, making sure that she didn't forget something. If she did forget something, she would make sure to tell you that "you have another gift coming". But now that we're grown up with families of our own, you might think it would be different. Nope!! Mom still frets that she's giving out equal shares (gift cards, boxes of Turkish delights, meal left-overs, etc.), and she now worries about the grandkids receiving equal shares, too. What she did for one, she did for all. I love my Mom.

(So many great memories, very hard to choose just one)

I'm in...Up until my Mother passed away many years ago she would always have my sister and me with our families over for a huge meal at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. Still don't know how she pulled it off every meal in her small kitchen. Most of the vegetables were either fresh or canned from the last growing season, sure do miss those days......

Wonderful giveaway, Captain.

My Mom passed away 38 years ago, so it's been a while. She was a beautician and back in the day, to my delight, she easily gave me a haircut matching the Beatles. She was a good cook and I'm fortunate that she passed some of her best recipes on to my bride so I still get to enjoy some of them from time to time.

One of the most memorable times with my mother was during high school orientation. Incoming freshman and one of their parents had to go through their whole routine, learn the layout of the school, etc. The school was laid out like a trident. Right at the central hub, where ~500 people had to crowd through multiple times, was a girl's bathroom. There must have been a serious sewage issue because at the second time of our going through it there was a horrible, horrible smell. It did not dissipate. We passed through that hub at least 5 five times and the stench was overpowering. People were gagging and grumbling, but there where no doors our windows that opened to the outside for about 150 feet, so the cloud lingered in a powerful fashion.

Once we got in the car to go home I commented that I hoped they got that sewage issue fixed soon. That's when my mother laughed and admitted that it was her! She was so nervous and anxious about one of her babies going to high school that it messed with her stomach. She had dropped a few Silent But Deadlies on our first trip through the central hub. She had a captive audience of 500 to torture. My father named the incident the "Hallway Horror" and it has become a family legend. This is from the woman who thinks it's "unladylike" for a woman to pump her own gas at the gas station. Well, she was pumping some gas that day lol!

I'm in! My mom is still living also and grateful to have the years we have left. I'll always remember how she used to take my brothers and me through the McDonald's drive through after school so we would keep our mouths shut on the drive home (true, we were hungry, but in retrospect it was pretty clever of her).

I’m in. Thanks Captain.

When I was a kid, I remember a Christmas night. There was a “strange “ gift under the tree. Me and my brother suspected that was a Atari, but my mom send us to bed. When we woke next morning, surprise! My parents were playing the video game :)

I remember being about 11 and i had my dads 4-10 shotgun. Shooting birds in a field. The cops were called and i was taken to the jail house. I called my mom to come get me. I told the cop at the window my mom was here and i needed my gun. He gave it to me. Not smart!

I went out and sat in the grass in from of rhe cop shop with my shotgun. About the time my mom rolled up in the car and seen me, 8 or 10 cops jumped out of cars and doors with guns drawn on me thinking i was a bad guy. Mom leaped out of the car and dove to the ground in front of me screamimg dont shoot. She was laying her life down in front of me.

I’m in. I remember back in the day when cruising on the weekends was the thing to do. Blow a tank of fuel a night and fill up for a tenner ( late 90’s). Well I get my license and one night me and my brother go out cruising and my mom god love her.. drove up town in her old Cadi boat to check on us, and ended up doing burn outs pulling out of places showing off and racing kids light to light. Even stayed out cruising town a few hours 🙄 🤣😂. Embarrassing? At the age of 16 yes.. looking back now that was actually pretty cool

IN :)

to this day saying OH I liked you when you feathered your hair :) I always say that was in the 70s :) OH but it looked so nice
side note I keep my head shaved down to about 1/4 inch for last 30+ yrs :)

Bonus: in the late 70s and 80s (58yr old) I had a mohawk :) walked around the house for 3 days mom did not notice ? (Maybe she only saw the feathered hair of her 7 yr old) BUT one day she she screamed with a OOOHHHH what did you do to your hair ! I laughed and said I did this 3 days ago and she said to my dad Jim did you know he did this and he looked out over his paper and said “ YES he has been like that for days if he wants to look like a freak let him”
was the floppy lay down never wore it up so was just ultra short sides and wider top not the ultra narrow type :)

I also remember my mom rolling her eyes when my dad used to always call the science officer on Star Trek "Dr. Spock." (My dad, every time Star Tek came on: "Is that Dr. Spock?" Me, age 10: "No, Dad, it's MR. Spock. That's DR. McCoy!" My mom: Eyeroll.)

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I was born in a broken and abusive family, the state took custody of me. Eventually I was placed in the care of my mom, who then decided to adopt me. I was only but a teenager when my mom was telling me what really happened to me. The part that tugged on the heart strings, was when she told me that the case and papers were finalized, on the day of Valentines day. And she told the judge, and I quote... "Your honor, Chris is the best valentines gift I have ever gotten."

This moment, is still strong in my memory, even after all these years. Unfortunately, I was adopted by an older couple, so, they past away when I was 19. Life hasn't been easy for me growing up into my second childhood in my adulthood years. Its probably why I seek so strongly for community, friendships, and family. But I will never forget that moment for the rest of my life, because it was a moment of strong bonding between me and my mom who adopted me.

I don't take moments like that for granted. If you still have a mom and dad, please do me a favor, and give them a hug, let them know you care, and that you love them.

I’m in and thanks for the contest.

I don’t remember how old I was, but I was a little thing (3 or maybe 4?), playing with toys in the living room. Mom was in the bathroom doing her hair or something. She yelled the “S” word (*crap*). Being so young, I had no idea what it meant or that it was a cuss word. I repeated it in a conversational tone. A split second after I said it, my mouth was on fire. Mom had crossed the length of the apartment and smacked my mouth as hard as she could before I had blinked twice.

Up until the day I quit visiting her, I didn’t cuss in front of her.

I'm in.
Years ago after I started my first real job my moms birthday was coming up. There was a commercial for the Harlem Globetrotters on TV and she mentioned that she had always wanted to see them as a kid but my grandparents were never able to afford it when she was a kid. I bought the 2 of us court side tickets to the Globetrotters and she loved it. The only times I've see her smile bigger than at the Globetrotters was when my brother and I each got married and when her 4 grandkids were born.

I'm in, if I qualify.

One of the most memorable times I have with my mom was when I was very little, about 5. It was easter and I wasn't feeling very well. My brother and I were excited to get our easter baskets and we were showing each other what we got. I was looking in my brother's basket when all of the sudden I was overcome with nausea. You guessed it, right in his basket. My mom calmly looked at my brother and told him "don't worry we can rinse it off." Of course we didn't and threw away the candy, but to this day we still laugh about that comment.

My mom drank, and was at times abusive to me and my siblings. Throughout my childhood, I never remember her once saying "I love you". She eventually went to rehab and quit drinking. After 8 years of healing and trying to rebuild broken relationships, she was diagnosed with lung cancer.

On the day of her death I stood beside her hospital bed and told her that I forgave her, that I was proud of her recovery, and that I loved her. Her response:

"I love you too son"

...and it was music to my ears.

Shortly after that, she took her last breath.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
My mom drank, and was at times abusive to me and my siblings. Throughout my childhood, I never remember her once saying "I love you". She eventually went to rehab and quit drinking. After 8 years of healing and trying to rebuild broken relationships, she was diagnosed with lung cancer.

On the day of her death I stood beside her hospital bed and told her that I forgave her, that I was proud of her recovery, and that I loved her. Her response:

"I love you too son"

...and it was music to my ears.

Shortly after that, she took her last breath.

Your post was very heartfelt, I felt the emotion. 😢 Trust me when I say, I do understand the feeling, more then you know. But at the same time, you both had a moment that really needed to happen. And thats the kind of thing you never forget, because love was at the center of it. 😍

Your a good person GPJoe :thumbup1:

Your post was very heartfelt, I felt the emotion. 😢 Trust me when I say, I do understand the feeling, more then you know. But at the same time, you both had a moment that really needed to happen. And thats the kind of thing you never forget, because love was at the center of it. 😍

Your a good person GPJoe :thumbup1:
Thanks.

It's ironic that my best memory of my mom occurred on one of the worst days, which happened 28 years ago, today.

Top Bottom