What's new

Thoughts on new Gillette Flexball

Then you are reading something that isn't there. A straight requires a lot of maintenance...
That's the least of anyone's worry.
A straight requires skill, ability, aptitude, coordination, competence... Missing traits of modern men.

While I can understand the jump from straights to safety razor, simply because I accept accidents can happen, I cannot understand the jump from safety razor to battery operated, LEDs, rubber fins, pivoting head, ball technology, 6 blades, lubrication strip, ergonomically designed handle...

I read about men's comfort while shaving and some getting tired while holding a razor, or making lather, or simply holding a shaving bowl for more than three minutes. Really?

My take? Life in general requires a lot of maintenance. Just a matter of priorities...

Oh come now. Be a hipster, progressive and try one! I double dare ya!:biggrin1:

Just do it....

$ForScience-Yellow-on-black-EYEWIRE.jpg

I watched the video, i think the overall shave was poor, no lather etc...

Also its a bit annoying when they reference shavettes as straight razors, sure the idea is there but from what i've read they are a whole different experience.

I don't think i will try these as previously i haven't tried the fusion proglide etc but if it makes people get a good shave and they are happy with the prices, then good for them :)

I'll be honest. Shaving with a cart even the six bladed ones will give me a perfectly good shave. In fact because of shaving with a DE razor I can get better shaves out of a cart than I could before. But there are two things about modern razors that put me off.

1. The cost of carts.

2. The aesthetic appeal of modern cartridge razors.

The cost issue is self explanatory. The aesthetic appeal of modern cart razors is something that bothers me. I just don't like the design of modern razors. There is a sweet simplicity in a DE razor and that appeals to me.

Just my 2 cents.

That's the least of anyone's worry.
A straight requires skill, ability, aptitude, coordination, competence... Missing traits of modern men.

While I can understand the jump from straights to safety razor, simply because I accept accidents can happen, I cannot understand the jump from safety razor to battery operated, LEDs, rubber fins, pivoting head, ball technology, 6 blades, lubrication strip, ergonomically designed handle...

I read about men's comfort while shaving and some getting tired while holding a razor, or making lather, or simply holding a shaving bowl for more than three minutes. Really?

My take? Life in general requires a lot of maintenance. Just a matter of priorities...

I agree sir. How about some Good old fashioned discipline, right?

gillette's lates gimmick to swindle more hard earned money from hard working men IMO. honestly what good does a pivoting ball & socket do to help shaving? I was a mach 3 user for over a decade and am really happy with my DE razor. YMMV

I would think the ball design would primarily benefit head shavers? I'm not a head shaver myself so I have no experience here. But I do have 2 left hands and often wonder how head shavers do it. I would think the ball design would help head shavers keep the blades in contact with skin and make it more efficient. Or maybe not. I dunno. If it helps head shavers I say give it a go. I know a number of people that use carts for there heads and DE or SR on there face. Whatever it takes I say. I have no animosity towards Gillette carts, or people that use carts.

I would think the ball design would primarily benefit head shavers? I'm not a head shaver myself so I have no experience here. But I do have 2 left hands and often wonder how head shavers do it. I would think the ball design would help head shavers keep the blades in contact with skin and make it more efficient. Or maybe not. I dunno. If it helps head shavers I say give it a go. I know a number of people that use carts for there heads and DE or SR on there face. Whatever it takes I say. I have no animosity towards Gillette carts, or people that use carts.

One of the guys I work with uses the razor with the flexible head (forget the name) to shave his head. It seems that it never really caught on but I remember the commercial where they were using a bowling ball to demonstrate how the cartridge would flex and stay on the ball. I've never used it so I'm not sure if it's actually an improvement for your face but I guess if you spill Rogain on your bowling ball it would come in handy!:001_rolle

I'm a head shaver and I'm not really sure how much the ball would help. I do just fine with a Gillette Guard or injector. Takes a little more effort with a SE. Before those I was using a Fusion and with two passes it was fine so I am not really seeing what benefit it would give. Interestingly enough I had a harder time using the HeadBlade which was designed for head shaving.

One of the guys I work with uses the razor with the flexible head (forget the name) to shave his head. It seems that it never really caught on but I remember the commercial where they were using a bowling ball to demonstrate how the cartridge would flex and stay on the ball. I've never used it so I'm not sure if it's actually an improvement for your face but I guess if you spill Rogain on your bowling ball it would come in handy!:001_rolle

I remember that razor commercial from TV when I was a kid... here's a thought that just hit me on that as I was recalling the commercial.. how much pressure would you need to apply to the darn thing to get it to flex to the curves of your face?? Just the thought of pushing that much makes me cringe! I also point to that as some proof the modern razors are designed to use significantly more pressure than the DE/SE/Straights are.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, I don't know, but it seems to me that the more flexibility you add to the head, the more pressure you have to put on the head to keep it against your skin ... which seems completely contrary to the tried and true shaving techniques that several of us adhere to in these forums. I get the best shaves with a sharp blade and very very little pressure. Heavy pressure means cuts and, worse, razor burn. This new head adds EVEN MORE flexibility, which in turn seemingly requires even more pressure to keep it on your face.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, I don't know, but it seems to me that the more flexibility you add to the head, the more pressure you have to put on the head to keep it against your skin ... which seems completely contrary to the tried and true shaving techniques that several of us adhere to in these forums. I get the best shaves with a sharp blade and very very little pressure. Heavy pressure means cuts and, worse, razor burn. This new head adds EVEN MORE flexibility, which in turn seemingly requires even more pressure to keep it on your face.

This is why I'm interested in seeing how they have tuned the ball. If it's too loose you will need to keep more pressure on to hold it to the skin but that will likely also give it a wobbly/unstable feel. If it's too tight then is it really doing anything but allowing you to make commercials with silly one stroke shaves? I'm not convinced it's really going to do anything special but I'll let the early adopters comment on it when they start hitting the streets.

On a side note, anyone who enjoys doing the Gillette slide technique will likely find that it's imposible with this razor. Of course, I guess the idea is that with 5 blades a slide shouldn't be necessary but I've never gotten a really close shave from a cart so...

All you gentlemen have bashed this new razor.

Well, I've no connection to P&G, but went ahead and tried the new razor today.
Picked it up from the local AOS store, who told me that, if I was not totally happy, they'd be happy to take it back for full refund.
Shaved with it today, and I was impressed with the shave.
Naturally, a fresh Fusion cart and my normal full prep.
I only had to do a single pass on one day's growth, but it shaved smooth, clean and no irritation.
Perhaps the ball plus the springs help keep the blade pressure even.
Anyway, the shave was as nice as the previous day with a Feather DX.
Downsides...besides the cost of the handle and the cartridges, I wonder if the ball mechanics and trim will hold up or be a pain to keep clean, after extended use.
So, for what it's worth, that's my initial impression; I'll have to give it a few more shaves before deciding whether to hold onto it longterm.

Blast away, if you wish!
YMMV.

proxy.php

I stated early in the thread I'd be more than willing to give it a fair test, since I was curious how it would do. I'm just not willing to invest any upfront money for the sake of trying it. Course, I'm pretty sure I'd never keep it or use it much (possibly except if traveling), so that also reduces my desire to put up money to test it.

Top Bottom