What's new

Thinking of buying a Thiers-Issard

My current razor is a cheap Dovo but I am considering upgrading to a Thiers-Issard, spending some inheritance money on a good razor for life.

There seem to be a lot of different models and very few independent reviews.

I’m looking for a largish razor 6/8+ with a high quality durable set of scales and a blade finished to a high polish.

Does anyone have any thoughts and can anyone point me to any reliable reviews that compare the models?

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buy the one you like the looks of, they are all good IMHO

20210320_071109.jpg

There are three of that blade in the photograph above. They are sold as 7/8, but being French it means that they actually are 15/16. However the spine is thin meaning that the blade is thin and light weight. Considering the size it is a very nimble razor. I like it a lot, why should I else have three of them? ... No wait don't answer that question:letterk1:. If you're looking fo a razor with more heft the 6/8 (actually 13/16) razors with decorated spines (like the one front left) is a better (heavier) option. So you have to as yourself it it is weight or size you're after. The standard 5/8 full hollow (the three to the right in front) is a fantastic all-round shaver and a very good option for a first TI razor.

They are nice razors. I particularly like the horn scales. I have a 5/8 but it measures 6/8 which is my favorite size.

2413A88F-001C-4FE7-B7AD-5675A8BDFED9.jpeg

Griffith has about 18 different models for sale. And you can choose the scales you like within each model. So at least you have a place to compare photos of most of them. And typically, he has good pricing. (Some can be pricey!)

They are my favorite razors, I have 3. My favorite razor of all mine is very similar to Polarbeard's front left razor because of the heft; full hollow grind 'singing' blade. It was my second razor and 21 years later I don't regret it and would never sell it.
My TI.jpg
Last year I picked up the le grelot style blade (like you are looking at) and was astonished by how quiet it was being a hollow grind. I really like this one to so I bought 2 (fancy scales & plain plastic)
20201228_145233.jpg
I hear people poo poo the brand for geometry and finish issues, but have never experienced these (very small sample size, so I'm compelled to increase it!). I have only experienced joy using them, an absolute delight.

I was surprised how nimble the 7/8 Bijou de France I recently got turned out to be. I got it mainly because the thumbnotch resembled some razors I'm already comfortable with. I might need to branch out a bit, TI-wise :) Thanks a lot, @marktyers :)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
FYIW, ‘Bijou de France’, ‘Star of France’ is a grahic, artwork used on many blades over the years.

T-I razors can be iffy. If you want a French razor which (I think) is a much better piece of equipment I humbly suggest:
Rasoir Sabre. Crazy sharp, excellent craftsmanship, devoid of any “issues” in my experience..decently priced too.
0EC538C2-D43F-40B3-81D3-26E494C24740.jpeg
1A502998-4E0D-4A9E-9C61-C58015D1D1E4.jpeg
9FCC15DE-B5FD-463B-942E-4246BFE19409.jpeg

There are three of that blade in the photograph above. They are sold as 7/8, but being French it means that they actually are 15/16. However the spine is thin meaning that the blade is thin and light weight. Considering the size it is a very nimble razor. I like it a lot, why should I else have three of them? ... No wait don't answer that question:letterk1:. If you're looking fo a razor with more heft the 6/8 (actually 13/16) razors with decorated spines (like the one front left) is a better (heavier) option. So you have to as yourself it it is weight or size you're after. The standard 5/8 full hollow (the three to the right in front) is a fantastic all-round shaver and a very good option for a first TI razor.

Very clear. So the dreadnaught is excellent and light whilst the decorated spine models provide a weightier razor.

So many choices but this really helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FYIW, ‘Bijou de France’, ‘Star of France’ is a grahic, artwork used on many blades over the years.
True. Not really sure how to specify some of the 'models' other than listing off size, spine, shape, point and so on. I guess that works too. Photos even better :)

I've only got the one, but I can see that changing :p

My current razor is a cheap Dovo but I am considering upgrading to a Thiers-Issard, spending some inheritance money on a good razor for life.

Not sure which Dovo you have, but both Dovo and TI make some very nice razors. The Dovo Bismarck and Bergischer Lowe are terrific.

The TI product line can be a little confusing - at least it was to me. TI does a great job adding luxuries to their razors - like historic marks on the blade faces, mirror finishes, spine work and exotic scales - but under the covers many of the razors are made from the same 275 blade (3/8 through 6/8), or the blade with a thumb notch (6/8 and 7/8). So for a given blade type and size, whether you buy a model with all of the luxuries or a basic model with a satin finish and plastic scales, the two should perform the same. Just something to keep in mind as you make your choice.

You have very good taste. I have all three of these particular models and I am secretly collecting all of Ertan Suer's razors. Not mass produced, reasonably priced, and of very fine quality!

Most recent Ertan Suer acquisition on its way from France. Had to get it; it has Eucalyptus scales!!!

Oh Yeah!!!,

Well this is my latest Ertan Suer acquisition. So there!!!

Just kidding, I am grateful that I now have five of his razors. I need to collect more of them before everyone else figures out what a great value they are. They are magically thin, sharp and each one is uniquely individual. Congratulations on finding my next Ertan Suer acquisition.

s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom