What's new

Thinking of a Vostok Amphibia, 090 or 710?

I have been loving it. It runs a little fast but just reset it every few weeks. It does completely stop every once in a while though.
If you wear it 24/7 could be that you don't move your arms enough. Could be the balance wheel got damaged while you were adjusting the timing. But could be other things since I am not a watch repair man. Probably cheaper to buy another one than have a jeweler look at it. But I have not had this problem with my 3 Vostoks but obviously, I don't wear them all the time.

How about vintage Vostoks, like the Precision 2809? Based on eBay, values are between 60 and 150 dollars. It uses the Soviet Union's version of what equates to a Zenith Calibre 135 movement. Are they worth looking into?
I have no experience of Vintage Vostoks although I do own a Zenith mechanical watch. I did buy from eBay and RUSSIA 4 RAKETA watches and the stem broke on one and one hangs up at 4 am every day. The other two work well. So it's about a 50/50 gamble in my case.

How about vintage Vostoks, like the Precision 2809? Based on eBay, values are between 60 and 150 dollars. It uses the Soviet Union's version of what equates to a Zenith Calibre 135 movement. Are they worth looking into?
I just ran across this article on internet
The Soviets “acquired” Zenith’s technology, and started to manufacture their own “version” of the same movement, albeit with some significant changes. While it retained the exceptionally large balance wheel, and the overall layout of the movement, it sought to improve the Swiss design, by adding 3 additional jewels, to arrive at the current 22-jewel movement. Additionally, the placement of the second-hand was moved from the sub-dial position to the center position. Typical of Russian manufacturing, the highly decorated nature of the movement was erased, thereby reducing the cost and complexity of the manufacturing process. Soviets cared first and foremost about function over form.

The 22-jewel movement was manufactured by a division of Vostok, and used exclusively for the “Vostok Precision” line and the “Wolna” (Wave) series of watches. To date, these were the only chronometer-capable mechanical wristwatch movements ever manufactured in the Soviet Union. This movement (22 jewels) was put also on scaled down versions on other watches like the Radunga and the Zodiac Czistopol 59 while it equipped Almaz and some Vostok watches in an 18 Jewel configuration as well.

If you buy one, I would suggest you get one that has been serviced, cleaned and oiled. It will be cheaper to have it done there than in US.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'm loving the watch. It has been slowing down since I bought it. I opened it up and have been playing with regulating it.
I love the 710 case. It was a toss up between it and the 090. I may have to get a 710 now though.

Pretty easy and given the low cost not as scary as opening up the Sea Dweller .. I've got one running pretty close to COSC .. though the variance isn't what you'd get with a Rillie ..

I have been loving it. It runs a little fast but just reset it every few weeks. It does completely stop every once in a while though.

See above, it is pretty easy and stress-free to regulate them!

Top Bottom