What's new

Thinking of a Vostok Amphibia, 090 or 710?

Here is a strange question: Do automatic watches speed up and/or slow down as the spring unwinds or are they constant?

The way the mechanism works should keep them constant as the spring winds down.

Thanks.
I have never owned an automatic before. Should I still wind it once in a while or just wearing it is enough to keep it going. (I wear my watches pretty much 24/7)

Legion

Staff member
Just wear it. Mine is my daily driver, so it literally has never been hand wound.

Even the couple of times it has stopped because I wore another watch for too long, I just get it running by shaking it in the morning, put it on and let it wind itself. I am kind of active though. That might not work if I was sitting at a desk all day.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Thanks.
I have never owned an automatic before. Should I still wind it once in a while or just wearing it is enough to keep it going. (I wear my watches pretty much 24/7)
Is that watch windable? A lot of automatics aren't. If Orient is any indication, windable automatics are more expensive.

Checked Tuesday and It gained a sec for a total of 4+. Well yesterday it lost 3 seconds and just checked today and it lost another 2 sec.

So over a week I have lost 2 seconds. I'm fascinated that it ran fast and now is running slow.

Legion

Staff member
If you are wearing it at night it could be as simple as how your arm was held while you slept. Or temperature, or many other factors. Just be glad it is so accurate.

Thanks, I'm not complaining at all. I'm just thinking out loud. I never thought that a watch could have a character. Coming from a lifetime of Timex watches where it either worked or not, this is kinda fun.

A well regulated Vostok is about the same accurate as most other brands unless you get really expensive brands. The Vostok I am using daily keeps good enough time that I do not need to adjust it through the crown at all. If I notice it has been slightly too fast, I just leave it on the side during the night, if it has been too slow, I leave it face up during the night.

I do not even remember how long time it is since last I adjusted the time with the crown and currently my watch is 1-2 seconds too fast comparing with NIST. When sitting in front of the computer I just give a quick glance at the watch and the clock in the computer and then decide the position I would put the watch in before going to sleep.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A note on Vostok crystals: I've bashed my Amfibia's face several times since I got the watch (and won't take it off!) last April.

A doot of ceramic cooktop oven cleaner- rubbed well on the watch face- removes the majority of non-deep scratches.

Recommended: the Maratac 22mm watch band- the two-piece one.

AA

I modded a Amphibia 710.615 for my wife, she loves to wear it during summer and holidays.
$710.jpg

I'm loving the watch. It has been slowing down since I bought it. I opened it up and have been playing with regulating it.

I love the 710 case. It was a toss up between it and the 090. I may have to get a 710 now though.

Here is a strange question: Do automatic watches speed up and/or slow down as the spring unwinds or are they constant?[/QUOTE
Watch will be effected by angle relative to gravity and temperature and other weather factors. If it slows down as it unwinds it won't be linear. Maybe near the very end of a wind it would slow down but this is not a manual watch-it is an automatic watch and probably won't be able to wind down very much or not to the point of mattering. The Tourbillon cancels out gravity but not the other factors effecting the watch. Tourbillon - Wikipedia. I have a Rolex Submariner Superlative Chronograph and at its Swiss testing document that came with it the time lost was 90 seconds per month. I would set it fast by 5 minutes and reset it about every six months and forget it for 1/2 of a year. If you wan on the money time---you can't beat an LED watch but they can't be the cheap LED ones. Immune to gravity and No moving parts in them but temperature still effects them.

Just got notice that my watch just shipped from Russia. Now the wait.
I own 3 Vostoks. I am sure you will enjoy it. You will never have to buy a new battery. That is a plus hard to beat. And you watch won't go dead all of a sudden like quartz watches.

I own 3 Vostoks. I am sure you will enjoy it. You will never have to buy a new battery. That is a plus hard to beat. And you watch won't go dead all of a sudden like quartz watches.

I have been loving it. It runs a little fast but just reset it every few weeks. It does completely stop every once in a while though.

How about vintage Vostoks, like the Precision 2809? Based on eBay, values are between 60 and 150 dollars. It uses the Soviet Union's version of what equates to a Zenith Calibre 135 movement. Are they worth looking into?

Top Bottom