What's new

Thinking of a Vostok Amphibia, 090 or 710?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
According to Vostok it's accuracy range is quite wide with -20 to +60 seconds per day. So +6 isn't bad.

I don't know anything about how I would regulate it. Got any pointers?

You remove the caseback and find the fast/slow lever (sorry, I have no idea what the actual part is called). You might have to move the rotor to uncover it, but there's no further disassembly. Move that lever in hair's nudges in the direction you want to go, fast + or slow -. Put the caseback on just finger tight, wear it a day (no showers or diving) & check and re-adjust. I would never try this with a GMT or Submariner, but on a $50 dollar watch it was worth a try and it seems to work. Here's an appropriated shot of the lever involved .. notice the indicator on this one is a couple hairs on the "slow" side

$regulation.jpg

Legion

Staff member
Unscrewing the retaining ring that holds the back on might be an effort without the right tool.

garyg

Unscrewing the retaining ring that holds the back on might be an effort without the right tool.

Actually mine was delivered only finger tight, I used a plastic golf tee to spin in off. You're right in that you would probably want a caseback wrench (Amazon has one for $3.13) to tighten it down on the gasket properly.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
According to Vostok it's accuracy range is quite wide with -20 to +60 seconds per day. So +6 isn't bad.

I don't know anything about how I would regulate it. Got any pointers?
A good magnifying glass. I ruined a Seiko 5 because I went adjust it, which I had already done twice, and stuck the screwdriver in a little too far (trusted my eyes) and knocked off the hairspring.

garyg

A good magnifying glass. I ruined a Seiko 5 because I went adjust it, which I had already done twice, and stuck the screwdriver in a little too far (trusted my eyes) and knocked off the hairspring.

Ouch! That's the risk, and one of the reasons I wouldn't open up an expensive watch myself. That oscillating hairspring is right there - if I understand correctly it is the hairspring beat that is being adjusted when you (attempt) to regulate the watch.

Yeah you just have to take it slow when regulating the watch. I got a caseback tool from Wal-Mart and regulated my Vostok to about 4-5 seconds fast a day which is way better than the 45 seconds fast it was running a day

I changed the watch back an hour Saturday and here it is Tuesday and it has gained only 2 seconds. But I'm worried that it is still settling and will end up slow.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very very interesting! If my Amfib was worse, I'd try it ... after seeing that.

Can live with -5/day, though.

Now that dang Seiko diver ... gotta be 45 seconds a day fast. Never wear it, now.

AA

Want to know a neat trick for solving accuracy problems with autos?

...Buy more watches!

Eventually you'll have enough that they all wind down before you wear them a second time, so you'll have to reset the time each morning anyways. :thumbup1:

Legion

Staff member
Weird, the watch jumped +6 sec today.

Yeah, they are quirky. The one I wear each day is probably six months old. Most of the time it is steady, then one day you look at it and it will be two minutes out. Then it goes back to normal. Then it will gain or lose some...That is part of their charm, they have a mind of their own. Mostly I only have to adjust mine one minute every week or two though.

Yeah, they are quirky. The one I wear each day is probably six months old. Most of the time it is steady, then one day you look at it and it will be two minutes out. Then it goes back to normal. Then it will gain or lose some...That is part of their charm, they have a mind of their own. Mostly I only have to adjust mine one minute every week or two though.

How is this even possible? I can understand that a watch may run fast or slow but how a mechanical watch can be all over the place seems odd to me. How a spring can speed up and then slow down and then speed up again.

I took the watch off last night and am going to let it wind all the way down. I did check it this morning and it had gained 6 more seconds overnight. It will be interesting to see what this settles into.

How is this even possible? I can understand that a watch may run fast or slow but how a mechanical watch can be all over the place seems odd to me. How a spring can speed up and then slow down and then speed up again.

I took the watch off last night and am going to let it wind all the way down. I did check it this morning and it had gained 6 more seconds overnight. It will be interesting to see what this settles into.

It depends on the position of the watch. A really simple example is if you picture the watch sitting on a table lying flat vs. lying on its side - gravity comes into play differently.

This is one of the reasons you will hear about higher-quality watches being 'calibrated in six positions'.

It depends on the position of the watch. A really simple example is if you picture the watch sitting on a table lying flat vs. lying on its side - gravity comes into play differently.

$230189.jpg

This is one of the reasons you will hear about higher-quality watches being 'calibrated in six positions'.

I hadn't heard of this. Thanks for the info.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

Hard to believe, but very true. My Invicta gains about a minute a week if I leave it sitting face up when not wearing it. It will lose time face down. I generally leave it face up, but it is not really a big deal. I generally don't wear my watch on my days off anymore, so it gets reset on my first day back to work.

Legion

Staff member

Yes. Read about how they do the tests to give a watch chronometer certification. It is quite interesting, and one of the reasons why high end watches are so expensive.

It will lose time face down. I generally leave it face up,

I have been letting the watch run all the way down so it has set face up over night and it gained 45 seconds by morning. I never thought about watches before. Sorry to keep posting but I find this fascinating.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have been letting the watch run all the way down so it has set face up over night and it gained 45 seconds by morning. I never thought about watches before. Sorry to keep posting but I find this fascinating.

That is what we are here for- post away.

The automatic movement is fairly accurate (for an automatic) but needs a few days to settle in, after a few days, take the watch off and let it run down until it stops. Reset it and get it running again and it should keep fairly good time to within a few seconds per day.
If you haven't worn the watch in a while, a few shakes should get it running, but after you've finished setting it, wind it manually to give the power reserve a boost. When fully wound, it should run for about 30 hours - ample if you take it off at night

Well I let it run all the way down and put it back on last night (Friday around 8:00 pm) When I set it it was running +2 sec faster than Time.gov. We'll see what happens this week.

On a side note, I really like this watch. It is very comfortable and I love the looks of it. It is very different than every other watch out there.

Top Bottom