What's new

Thinking about trying a slant

So I have tried a few types of razors. I've tried straight, DE, SE, injector, open comb, closed comb, adjustable, aggressive, mild, etc.

So far my favorite and most used is straight.

But, I have never tried a slant. I guess my curiosity is getting the better of me and in the pursuit of trying something new I am considering buying one. I just don't know where to start.

I was browsing Maggards this morning and the one that really caught my eye was the Merkur 39c. I really like the style of the handle and such.

I don't know why I am hesitant on buying one. I bought all sorts of straights and DE's to try out. I guess I'm looking to gather wisdom before buying 6 different slants to try.

Is the 39c a decent razor? Am I better off just getting a slant head to try and threading on of my bars on it to give it a test run?

Thanks for the feedback

I have used two. The RazoRock German 37 which is a Merkur clone. The second being a PAA Criature Slant. The German 37 is OK got decent shaves from it. The alignment of the blade needed some fiddling. The PAA was great, clamped the blade well and no alignment issues. If you want to try the German 37 I would send you the head to try. I am not using it.

So I have tried a few types of razors. I've tried straight, DE, SE, injector, open comb, closed comb, adjustable, aggressive, mild, etc.

But, I have never tried a slant. I guess my curiosity is getting the better of me and in the pursuit of trying something new I am considering buying one. I just don't know where to start.

I was browsing Maggards this morning and the one that really caught my eye was the Merkur 39c. I really like the style of the handle and such.

I don't know why I am hesitant on buying one. I bought all sorts of straights and DE's to try out. I guess I'm looking to gather wisdom before buying 6 different slants to try.

Is the 39c a decent razor? Am I better off just getting a slant head to try and threading on of my bars on it to give it a test run?

Thanks for the feedback
I’m looking at diving into slants too. In general, it seems like the Merkur 37c and 39c are great first options.

Thanks for the feedback
I have never tried a slant myself as well. Glad to read about your journey. I have read good things about Fatip slant.

I use the 39c quite a bit. I like it a lot but the knurling on the handle could be better. It's not super aggressive to me and gives a fine shave.

To put it in perspective, I have a drawer full of vintage razors I've collected for 25 years. On the countertop is the 39c and an SCS A-1 and they get all the use. Well, Trac II for the head but you get my point. ;)

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have a Yaqi DOC and a Fatip FOCS both are fine razors efficient and for me smooth. They won't break the bang if you decide a slant is not for you. My FOCS has a blade adjustment defect but it only takes around 30 seconds to properly align the blade so it's no big deal.

The Yaqi looks like will rip your head off with the blade exposure but it only takes a few shaves to get dialed in with no weepers or nicks.

Good luck in which ever razor you chose.

I use the 39c quite a bit. I like it a lot but the knurling on the handle could be better. It's not super aggressive to me and gives a fine shave.

To put it in perspective, I have a drawer full of vintage razors I've collected for 25 years. On the countertop is the 39c and an SCS A-1 and they get all the use. Well, Trac II for the head but you get my point. ;)
How do you like the longer handle on the 39c? I’ve always tended to gravitate towards shorter handles.

One razor you might want to consider is the Parker Semi-slant 55SL. Although reasonably priced, it is a well-built razor. It is solid brass, not plated Zamac.

The razor does not have as much slant as some other slant razors, so it is not quite as aggressive, but I find it to be very efficient. Parker recommends the razor for those with coarse beards and sensitive skin; that description fits me. While more aggressive slant razors might require an adjustment to your technique, the Semi-slant should not. Just use it like other safety razors and enjoy an increase in efficiency.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

You do actually know where to start. Right here! Good on ya.

Is the 39c a decent razor?

STQPOL (Saying The Quiet Part Out Loud): Slants are their own special thing, but not magic for all that. Treat it like another razor platform and learn its quirks. You'll be fine. The fact that you've used a diversity of platforms says you have developed a sense of how things work.

I used to have a 38C, the non-slanted Merkur long handle. I came to very much dislike the barberpole handle on that thing. So much so that I still refuse to buy a barberpole handle some years later. Unless I was obsessive about keeping my fingers and the handle absolutely dry it would screw itself down in my grip, which led to gripping tighter to control the razor, which led naturally to more nicks and weepers because I couldn't move the razor around in a smooth manner.

I very much prefer the shorter knurled handle, if one must have a Merkur. Both my 37 and my "Super Slant" have that handle and although it's slightly shorter than my preference it's not bad.

You're looking for a foot in the door. I suggest simply grabbing up a 37C. Or the RazoRock German 37 and use a handle you like. I note that some people say the G37 is more aggressive than the 37C; others say the opposite. I find them both to be about equal. What that tells me is that somebody -- and maybe two somebodies -- has some inconsistency in their production lines.

My preferences focus on stainless razors with close tolerances. The suggestion above to simply skip straight to the Rex Konsul is amusing but also has its core of reason. It's a darn good razor. I see they also now have a long-handle version, which isn't of real interest to me. The early Konsul I have is my most expensive razor (because I don't do straights) but is also at the top of a very tightly contested list of favourites. But I got to that after using a lot of other razors first.

O.H.

I have the Razorock German 37. They used to sell the head as a separate item, and that was quite a bargain. Now, I think you have to buy the head with a handle at a higher price. I would take the guy up on his offer, put the German 37 head on a handle you already have. That way, you can try it out without any risk.

The Merkur 37 is basically the slant version of the 34. Merkur used to sell a three piece version, but they are all two-piece now. So, the advantage with the Razorock German 37 is you can fit any handle you like to it.

I have used two. The RazoRock German 37 which is a Merkur clone. The second being a PAA Criature Slant. The German 37 is OK got decent shaves from it. The alignment of the blade needed some fiddling. The PAA was great, clamped the blade well and no alignment issues. If you want to try the German 37 I would send you the head to try. I am not using it.

A very generous offer I am tempted to take you up on!

The only slant I currently own is a Phoenix Shaving plastic model (The Filament) that I only use when flying with only a carry on. I may someday pick up a gold FOCS. But, I saw on Instagram that RazoRock is working on a stainless steel slant with multiple baseplate options!
C4B0E9C5-858B-499D-A0BC-680162EC91AB.jpeg

I'll be getting rid of merkur 37c and 39c.
They shave great, but I've recently added a vintage Pomco Slant to my collection.
Essentially the same razor, and it will be my only slant... aside from my Gillette Tech slant fashioned by another member at another forum.

Top Bottom