What's new

Thinking about trying a slant

Does a slant feel and work differently than a regular blade being drawn across the face at an angle? I noted this morning that, other than WTG strokes from the edge of the sideburns and the stroke down the middle of lip, chin, and neck, most strokes have some degree of angle. If slants do feel and work differently, what is it, the torquing of the blade? The variable gap?
Short version, yes. Note that the gap should be consistent, the cutting action is different in that (especially with the helical, like Fasan, Wunderbar, etc.,) you are slicing hair, not chopping it. Think of the difference between pushing a large knife through a loaf of bread, top to bottom, vs. slicing. That is the essential difference. You would probably be able to feel the difference, particularly ATG.

Your experience with one is dependant on hair growth patterns, coarseness, and the style of slant. I prefer the helical designs, as the blade is more rigid and the draw stroke is more effective for me. Some may find a slanted head, ala NeioGam, NeoRas, ATT, better for their shaving style.

A PAA Fasan copy and/or. German 37 are good economical entries to both styles. ATT, in the AC format, is it's own game.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Short version, yes. Note that the gap should be consistent, the cutting action is different in that (especially with the helical, like Fasan, Wunderbar, etc.,) you are slicing hair, not chopping it. Think of the difference between pushing a large knife through a loaf of bread, top to bottom, vs. slicing. That is the essential difference. You would probably be able to feel the difference, particularly ATG.

Your experience with one is dependant on hair growth patterns, coarseness, and the style of slant. I prefer the helical designs, as the blade is more rigid and the draw stroke is more effective for me. Some may find a slanted head, ala NeioGam, NeoRas, ATT, better for their shaving style.

A PAA Fasan copy and/or. German 37 are good economical entries to both styles. ATT, in the AC format, is it's own game.
I certainly understand the slicing versus chopping thing, but it cannot be explained too often and your explanation is excellent. The real question I have is whether a Gillette slide, which places the edge at an angle and results in a slicing posture, feels or performs differently than a slant. Logically, the result should be similar, but the large group (here) of slant devotees makes me question my logic and wonder if I am missing something. I noted that except for the straight up and down ATG and WTG strokes in the center of throat and chin, virtually every other stroke has at least a modicum of angularity, some more than others. Even the XTG on the jaw has a bit of angle. If I consciously keep it perpendicular to the stroke it does not shave quite as close or as smoothly. So there is clearly benefit in slanting.

I purchased the Merkur 37C a while back and was so blown away I followed it with a Razorock German 37 just to have a 3 piece option once in awhile. These work for me fantastically. The smoothest shaves every time. I have skin prone to irritation and a tricky trouble spot on the left side of my neck. Not an issue with these bad boys. Slants all the way for me.

Oh, and my success with slants also caused me to experiment further with open combs. After years with two razors, one brush, and one brand of soap I’ve really been racking up quite the shaving bill.

I certainly understand the slicing versus chopping thing, but it cannot be explained too often and your explanation is excellent. The real question I have is whether a Gillette slide, which places the edge at an angle and results in a slicing posture, feels or performs differently than a slant. Logically, the result should be similar, but the large group (here) of slant devotees makes me question my logic and wonder if I am missing something. I noted that except for the straight up and down ATG and WTG strokes in the center of throat and chin, virtually every other stroke has at least a modicum of angularity, some more than others. Even the XTG on the jaw has a bit of angle. If I consciously keep it perpendicular to the stroke it does not shave quite as close or as smoothly. So there is clearly benefit in slanting.
You've identified the difference- consistency. With a purpose-designed slant, every stroke performs that way, no changing blade exposure, no change in depth of cut, etc..😉

Ive always wanted to try a new slant.
A new slant on life that is!
> Who knows? You might get used to this slant on things (but if you did, you'd never be able to view the world again without holding your head out of true.) - Author: Haruki Murakami
> I could live with one butt cheek - just sit at a slant for the rest of my life, not worry about how baggy the seat of my blue jeans looked, get used to the nickname Halfass - but I couldn't live with my brains blown out.
- Author: Dean Koontz

Top Bottom