What's new

Thinking about straights

So I'm thinking about starting up with straights, and I've got a few questions.

First, would you recommend starting with the whippeddog starter kit and one of their $30-ish razors, or assembling a kit on your own from the BST?

Second, how much of a difference is there between something that you'd get off of whippeddog vs. buying a nicer new razor like a dovo or TI and having it honed professionally? would i likely notice, or is it something that a newbie wouldn't feel?

Third, is there anything I'm neglecting?

One nice thing about getting started with a kit from Wippeddog; you don't have a lot invested if you find straights are not your thing.

So I'm thinking about starting up with straights, and I've got a few questions.

First, would you recommend starting with the whippeddog starter kit and one of their $30-ish razors, or assembling a kit on your own from the BST?

Second, how much of a difference is there between something that you'd get off of whippeddog vs. buying a nicer new razor like a dovo or TI and having it honed professionally? would i likely notice, or is it something that a newbie wouldn't feel?

Third, is there anything I'm neglecting?

I think getting either a kit from whippeddog or putting your own together from BST is good. I wouldn't buy a new Dovo or TI because straight shaving isn't for everyone and it's a fair outlay to start with. As a beginner, a good shave ready straight from Larry or off BST will shave you just as well as a Dovo or TI professionally honed.

I like Larry's approach. He seems sincerely interested in each new shaver's success. He'll put together a set of tools that will work for you without breaking the bank and will also provide a lot of support. There are certainly more beautiful razors but what you'll get from Larry is something that may not be beautiful but that will actually work well enough to determine if you like shaving with a straight or not.

What are y'alls views on getting the whipped dog strop kit vs. something like a RupRazor filly? What would you recommend?

Last edited:
You can assemble your kit from the BST, but Larry is the one-stop-shop for newbies. It's your choice. Personally I wouldn't want to search through the BST, waiting for deals, when what I want is already available in front of me.

I don't know how a Dovo or TI compares to a whippeddog razor, but my whippeddog razors are giving me nice shaves, and, right now, that's all that matters.

If you plan on getting your razor from whippeddog then I would also get the strop there as well because if you get the strop from Ruprazor you are then paying extra shipping and you actually get 2 strops (balsa and hanging ) at whipped for a great price to start out.

The differences are going to be one of aesthetics, and that is it. The Dovo/TI will be super shiny. Many here would argue that the steel, and build quality of vintage razors are vastly superior to the razors produced today.

When everyone was using a straight razor, quality would have mattered more, and the individual companies would have been held to a much higher standard.

By the way, razors from whippeddog are considered to be honed professionally. I have never heard anyone speak badly of Larry's honing skills.

+1 one for a vintage razor featuring an 'edge by Larry'

With a cheap strop and some pastes on balsa you'll be good to go for quite a while.

Since I am WhippedDog, my statements are obviously biased. But trying to avoid that trap, many guys buy from me. Not many guys buy their second razor or strop from me! But, it is not because they aren't satisfied. It is because of my modus operandi.

I cut every corner I can except the corners that affect the actual shave. I buy off Ebay for $15 average, hone for $15, add $3 postage which gives you a $33 selling price. Basically, I sell straights for the price of honing.

Obviously, I'm not going to spend much time buffing and polishing the razor.

Everything I do, razors or strop or hones, are sold in the same way. Ugly at times, but totally functional. I do not believe anything I sell is less functional either than the best equipment out there.

But, it is nice using something nice! And, that is why most of you guys have moved on from my "poor man" gear to more aesthetically pleasing gear. I would too! :)

The Filly strop is an apple, and the Poor Man strop kit is an orange not to be compared exactly. I include a strop that is simply a piece of leather cut in a way that you can attach it, and includes a piece of balsa with abrasives. It is a kit. The Filly strop is very nice! And, for $20 I don't know how he does it.

In my opinion, the Filly strop is a great deal! I don't have any problem recommending it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You can certainly get started on the cheap. I started with some inexpensive, almost new razors that were in the $15-20 range (admittedly, that was a few years ago), and they remain some of my favorite shavers. It's all about the edge.

Be careful, though. Before you know it, you may turn into johnmrson. :lol:

Just shaved with my second razor from Whipped Dog. This is a great way to start. I've acquired a selection of Ebay razors and a coticule as well, and I am learning to sharpen and maintain my own blades while using Larry's razors as a standard and good edge for learning the technique of shaving. After a month I felt I'd made my original WD straight, um, somewhat less than shave ready :blushing: so I traded it in for a different style and a shave ready edge.

I've been using his leather and balsa strop kit and shredded the leather during my learning, so now that I think straight shaving has real potential for me I'm investing in more upscale gear, but Larry's starter kit got me everything I needed for no compromise starting and the razors aren't too bad on the eyes either notwithstanding the entry level price.

His service is outstanding and he is a great guy, he provides an entry level approach that allows you to try this out without breaking the bank and removes variables that might otherwise discourage you.

Another voice in favor of Larry. I just received my second straight from him, my tenth or so in total. His razors are very functional, sharp and smooth, and if you check over the course of several days he has the occasional looker. Plus, he's just a fantastic guy to work with, and he sends all kinds of info with your kit. Additionally, he's great about advice, questions, etc if you have them. I cannot recommend Larry highly enough for the newbie. I still shave with the straight I bought from him months ago, and it's one of my favorites.

I do not have any new razors except for a no name solingen which was too cheap to pass up but it is by no means my favorite. I might treat myself to a new one sometime in the future but for now it is enough to hunt for vintage ones in jumble sales and such.

The important thing is to get a razor that has been honed by an expert and learning to maintain the edge with a strop. Then of course you need to learn to shave with it and before you have acquired the skill and know you want to keep straight shaving in one form or another, it is rather pointless to fork out a lot of money on a new TI or DOVO. In the meantime if you feel you really must have a TI or DOVO, check out the BST for a good bargain, chances are it will already be properly honed.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Top Bottom