What's new

Thinking about making a wooden razor case. . .

(photos borrowed from fellow B&Bers)

Really like the look of the old Big Fellow cases, and am considering making a similar one but with a cork interior.

full

However I've noticed that a lot, if not most, of the older cases were designed to keep a razor in pieces, similar to this one:

full

The only reason I can think of to go for the second type of case is that it makes it more compact for travel.

Can anyone think of another reason, besides the size of the case, where it would be better to have the second type of case? (assuming wood shell, no lining and cork interior)

Which would you go for?

I personally would go for the first one, just because the difference on size wouldn't be much to matter, but that's just me, I rarely travel by plane, and if I do travel, with my family most of the time, the baggage is large enough I could fit my entire shaving supply and nobody would notice the difference, besides if I am not traveling, still a nice piece to display the razor on my den (I take my guest on bathroom tours, yea I am weird like that)

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Make one of each then take a trip with 2 razors and see which one suits your needs.:001_tt2:

Thanks guys.

I think its more practical to leave the razor assembled as I do at home.

Was wondering if I had not thought of and missed an advantage to the second type of case, besides the size. Looks like size is the only thing going for it.

Well, my original travel case is an original Tech slim handle bakelite case, I like this very much, even carries an RFB head also just in case I feel for an OC. This way I can store two razors in a small space, and those old bakelite cases are just plain cool!

And then I have also built a dual inlay for a wood Big Fellow case, also works really nice, and this even holds 2 TTO’s and other razors not taken apart. This is my current go-to for travel.

Lots of options :001_tt1:

89DEC482-58F5-4E8D-B25D-0D4F5D1CBB04.jpeg
55A4E8D4-C103-4F19-A58A-372D362E242D.jpeg
08407C94-A2C5-43E2-9834-E1574C329FB7.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, my original travel case is an original Tech slim handle bakelite case, I like this very much, even carries an RFB head also just in case I feel for an OC. This way I can store two razors in a small space, and those old bakelite cases are just plain cool!

And then I have also built a dual inlay for a wood Big Fellow case, also works really nice, and this even holds 2 TTO’s and other razors not taken apart. This is my current go-to for travel.

Lots of options :001_tt1:

View attachment 912505 View attachment 912506 View attachment 912507
Those cases are cool!

Northstonehill, you are lucky, those are some pretty neat cases.

The only razor I have that came with a case is a Feather Popular. It is very basic, but very functional. That is the reason I'd like to make some for my other razors.

Those cases are cool!

Thank you, sir - appreciate it!

Northstonehill, you are lucky, those are some pretty neat cases.

The only razor I have that came with a case is a Feather Popular. It is very basic, but very functional. That is the reason I'd like to make some for my other razors.

Thanks! - Well, empty cases are actually not impossible to come by, especially the bakelite ones. I keep a lookout on the bay and found these cases without razor and they weren’t too expensive. The wooden one though is a bit more rare but I was lucky to find this in bad shape but restorable.

Since I am really a case nut I never see a small container without picturing it holding a razor :). Here are a couple more that I restored for razor use, though more for display than for travel.

9EE2DAE4-0615-4213-8079-1B15AE7E7BCF.jpeg
9CC5D9A5-4E2A-428B-94E9-FD6E58EC40DD.jpeg
5E8FA83B-2728-459A-BA2D-6289172A852E.jpeg
AEF904E3-6900-48E2-8D08-2F0674BA2F66.jpeg

My travel case is an old Weshi plastic clam shell.

I don't worry about it and it protects the 37c slant I prefer for travel.

proxy.php

Here are a couple more that I restored for razor use, though more for display than for travel.

The hydrometer case is especially nice, though as you said, a bit big for travel.

I'm hoping to come up with a one-size-fits-all that will be easily stackable for storage (I don't display my razors) and small enough for travel.​

My travel case is an old Weshi plastic clam shell.

Those are perfectly serviceable, I really wish cases like those came standard.​

Thread bump as I wanted to share my latest “creation”. I found a Richwood case which had lost the interior piece and thus also the interior latch piece. Ended up building the below, with great guidance from Adam (@romsitsa). Inside pieces are simple wood cutouts covered in some lively Liberty fabric.

Have to underline though, that the crude hook closing was my idea, Adam would never have built such a crude solution. He is an absolute wizard in tooling out great solutions. Sadly I am not. My chosen closing is far from ideal but it will work sufficiently. I probably should have used magnets instead but I am impatient and already have other ideas for the next case design :)

BEFORE:
30467508-61B7-4915-8DC7-3F5FBFB0D130.jpeg

AFTER:
418A5D00-FF6E-4134-9190-8CA0DF25882D.jpeg
66DC6A23-B816-424A-B57C-6CEAB7388E21.jpeg
1ED89F3D-942A-4CBF-A463-4E2DE7135A79.jpeg

Interesting, David, very curious to know what you want to do. The left rugged one will look great once given a couple of new layers of varnish :thumbup1:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The wood boxes are indeed classy, and cool vintage Gillettes deserve such treatment!

With there was an easier solution; like some throw-away product in a similar wood box ...

The Altoids tin is good for travel, though.

AA

Top Bottom