What's new

Thin vs Thick Razor Head?

My daily razor is a Jagger 89 with an iKon bulldog handle. Works great. Recently shaved with a late 40s era Gillette tech, the razor I started with fifty years ago. One huge difference I note is how thin the head is on the ball end tech. I know it is nickel coated brass. So, my question, for those who know more about razors, manufacturing, and metal is...how come thin is out, and thick is in? Demand? Engineering restraints?

Who is making thin heads? I think iKon and maybe the Feather, right?

Shed some light, please, if you can. Thanks!

how come thin is out
"Thin" is mass produced in the east. Here's a pic of my Rapira Platinum Lux head (from Russia with love and available from Maggard's, if you're interested in an aggressive beast :devil:).
upload_2017-7-12_2-15-49.png

Just a guess, but the Tech baseplate was punched and formed out of sheet metal. I'm guessing the cap also, or at least partially. No idea how they added threads. Your EJ is probably MIM, or Metal Injection Molding.

The other part is the market. Extra weight usually translates as greater perceived value.

Just a guess, but the Tech baseplate was punched and formed out of sheet metal. I'm guessing the cap also, or at least partially. No idea how they added threads. Your EJ is probably MIM, or Metal Injection Molding.

The other part is the market. Extra weight usually translates as greater perceived value.

I thought the 1940s tech was coated brass; is that considered sheet metal?

Old Gillette razors are Nickel plated stamped steel, current production razors are cast metal (MIM) with zinc coating.

Old Gillette razors are Nickel plated stamped steel, current production razors are cast metal (MIM) with zinc coating.

My understanding is that Gillette did use steel for some of its razors, usually when other materials were in short supply because of conflict, but mostly plated brass was used. Nickel was often the plating material, but gold (often a very thin wash), rhodium (on luxury models) and silver were also employed. I've seen any number of Old and New Improved razors with silver plating. I believe many of the later Techs had cast zamak (zinc alloy) heads.
I think chrome is the most common plating material these days. Zinc would not be a good choice for this purpose.
As for the increased thickness of most razor heads, that might be partly down to the modern preference for models with a bit more weight than the old ones.

My understanding is that Gillette did use steel for some of its razors, usually when other materials were in short supply because of conflict, but mostly plated brass was used. Nickel was often the plating material, but gold (often a very thin wash), rhodium (on luxury models) and silver were also employed. I've seen any number of Old and New Improved razors with silver plating. I believe many of the later Techs had cast zamak (zinc alloy) heads.
I think chrome is the most common plating material these days. Zinc would not be a good choice for this purpose.
As for the increased thickness of most razor heads, that might be partly down to the modern preference for models with a bit more weight than the old ones.

Yep, most Gillette razors are brass, some razors made during war years used zinc alloy, steel, Bakelite, or aluminum parts. Gillettes were plated in gold, silver, nickel, rhodium, chrome, and black stuff that may or may not be paint. Late Techs and possibly other Gillettes used some zinc alloy and aluminum parts.
Many modern razors are zinc alloy with chrome plating

Unless I misread the responses thus far, we seem to have drifted from the original question. Whether the head is thick or thin, the most important thing is the comfort, nimbleness, and the balance of the razor, and the closeness of the shave. Either head can be fine, though thin in theory is better when shaving N to S under the nose.

Who is making thin heads? I think iKon and maybe the Feather, right?

I thought the 1940s tech was coated brass; is that considered sheet metal?

Yep, most Gillette razors are brass, some razors made during war years used zinc alloy, steel, Bakelite, or aluminum parts. Gillettes were plated in gold, silver, nickel, rhodium, chrome, and black stuff that may or may not be paint. Late Techs and possibly other Gillettes used some zinc alloy and aluminum parts.
Many modern razors are zinc alloy with chrome plating

The Tech baseplates are made of stamped sheet. Some during war years were steel, there are also some that are aluminum. Yes, I would call it sheet metal.

Unless I misread the responses thus far, we seem to have drifted from the original question.

Follow the thread, it has direction.

Rephrasing: If you could buy a new razor, let's say stainless, that looked like a Gillette tech head with a knurled stainless handle, would you? Would you prefer it to today's thicker head, i.e., Rockwell, ATT etc?

IOW, are thin heads out as a matter of style preference-- or is the real issue one of manufacturing limitations?

Mac

Rephrasing: If you could buy a new razor, let's say stainless, that looked like a Gillette tech head with a knurled stainless handle, would you? Would you prefer it to today's thicker head, i.e., Rockwell, ATT etc?

IOW, are thin heads out as a matter of style preference-- or is the real issue one of manufacturing limitations?

Mac
Who knows? As you suggest, these things are determined by consumer preferences and by manufacturing propensities. Both conditions can be fickle at time. Consumers don't always know what they want. And manufacturers don't always understand what consumers think they want.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.

Mac

Unless it was cheap enough to become an impulse purchase, say under fifty dollars, I doubt I would buy it. But I also wouldn't and haven't bought anything from Rockwell or ATT (although I did buy a Feather AS-D2 and while it is nice, it is not better than my Techs).

BUT I do prefer thinner heads and lighter razors to thicker heads and heavier razors.

I have tried some new razors and in general they have been nice but none so far have been more pleasant than the razors from the heyday of safety razors. I find most of the new razors sit in their boxes and it's the old Gillettes and GEMs that are daily users.

One possible exception is the AC blade format razors. They seem to get used at least once a week.

Top Bottom