What's new

There're baaaack

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
There was a bounty on coyotes in the county that my Uncle's ranch is in, N.E. Oklahoma, many years ago. I forgot what is was, $2 a 'yote I think, maybe.

They had one in Saskatchewan too, $20 a piece. That thinned them out in a hurry, but they just bounce right back.

Saskatchewan’s bounty program nabs 18,000 coyotes in four months | The Western Producer

Theres so many around here they're a nuisance. Last winter I watched one trot right down the sidewalk in front of my house headed for the railway line at the end of the street.

The last year we hunted them we got $50 a pelt, but they had to be prime, washed and with no fang holes. We hunted with hounds.

This picture was 1980. Each pelt brought $150-$200.

Andy Al and Terry.JPG

This picture is 1990. $50 a pelt and I sewed a few that hound Cowboy killed.

Cowboy Feb 28th 1990.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
They had one in Saskatchewan too, $20 a piece. That thinned them out in a hurry, but they just bounce right back.

Saskatchewan’s bounty program nabs 18,000 coyotes in four months | The Western Producer

Theres so many around here they're a nuisance. Last winter I watched one trot right down the sidewalk in front of my house headed for the railway line at the end of the street.

The last year we hunted them we got $50 a pelt, but they had to be prime, washed and with no fang holes. We hunted with hounds.

This picture was 1980. Each pelt brought $150-$200.

View attachment 918658
This picture is 1990. $50 a pelt and I sewed a few that hound Cowboy killed.

View attachment 918659

Wow. That's one heck of a haul. A lot of work went in to skinning, fleshing, and drying that many. Uncle used to use dogs at night to hunt 'yotes. I remember he and his friends would also take the plastic, orange road warning cones, with the flange cut off, to put to their ears to magnify the sounds while the dogs were trailing the 'yotes.

I believe all they had to do was turn in the ears for the bounty. In today's currency the $2 would be about $15.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow. That's one heck of a haul. A lot of work went in to skinning, fleshing, and drying that many. Uncle used to use dogs at night to hunt 'yotes. I remember he and his friends would also take the plastic, orange road warning cones, with the flange cut off, to put to their ears to magnify the sounds while the dogs were trailing the 'yotes.

I believe all they had to do was turn in the ears for the bounty. In today's currency the $2 would be about $15.

My father kept hounds. First coon hounds and when the fur market fell out, fox and coyote hounds. Skinning foxes and coyotes is a lot easier than racoon, and a lot less scraping too lol.

I still have the paperwork from the big Hudson Bay fur sale for our last year coon hunting, 1981. Drum, my dads best hound, came off the tailgate barking treed one night. We shot 7 in one tree and 21 that night in the same bush. Average price on that lot was $119. The season opened Oct.15 if I remember right, and ran to Dec.31.

When a hound is chasing $100 bills up a tree its hard not to hunt them.

We hunted deer with hounds two years in a row. The guys we went with used beagles. They dont run them fast or far and the deer just keep circling back like a rabbit until someone gets a shot. My dad cut his big black and tan coyote hound loose, he liked chasing deer. Using his ear horn he listened to him run until he couldnt hear him anymore. We got him back the next day. Another group of hunters shot the buck in front of him 16 miles away lol.

That picture of Cowboy above, you cant see it in that picture, but theres a radio tracker on his collar. It was common to run a single coyote 15 miles or more.

I really miss listening to hounds working a track. I grew up with that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Is there a bounty on them?

I believe that, at one time, some landowners did give small bounties on hogs because they thought that's what they had to do to get hunters to show up. Some just let you keep the hog. However, the problem really isn't as terrible as many like to make it sound. Don't get me wrong, now--hogs are a large problem, but it's not so bad that everyone needs to pay hunters in order to entice them to come shoot. Rather, it's enough to support the cottage industry that's come up around them.

Also, some hunters were tearing up land worse than the hogs were. That put an end to a lot of free or dirt cheap hunting and certainly to any bounties that once existed.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I spent a lot of my late teens and early 20's coon hunting, 1980's before fur prices went to crap. I still miss doing that, just sitting back in the woods listening for the hounds is so peaceful.

Until one fateful night. Sorry to de-rail Mike, but I could not resist. :smile:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I believe that, at one time, some landowners did give small bounties on hogs because they thought that's what they had to do to get hunters to show up. Some just let you keep the hog. However, the problem really isn't as terrible as many like to make it sound. Don't get me wrong, now--hogs are a large problem, but it's not so bad that everyone needs to pay hunters in order to entice them to come shoot. Rather, it's enough to support the cottage industry that's come up around them.

When I first moved to southern Alberta, Warner, 15 miles north of the Montana border, we were looking for a place to deer hunt. We came across a farm that had a 1/4 sheet of plywood nailed to the fence, it said DEER HUNTERS WELCOME! The farmer was on the tractor and I remember his mustache lol. It was the old west style that covered his mouth and was half way down the face of his chin.

We go over and talk to him and he said sure, park down by the bridge and hunt upriver. Off we went. The bridge was over 5 miles down the road, he owned a lot of land. I shot my first buck in the Milk River Valley there in sight of The Sweet Grass Hills in Montana. On my way out one day I came over the ridge towards the road and I thought I heard something but I wasnt sure. The next thing I heard, was a helicopter coming over the ridge right behind me lol. The game warden hopped out and checked my tag, rifle and what not and I asked him just how many deer there were around here. He said there were 2000 Mule Deer per square mile. It was nothing to see herds of 500 and their trails were a foot deep in that hard ground. There might have been one buck per 500 deer, but there were some monsters in that river valley.

Deer, even in those numbers are gentle compared to pigs.

I've heard outfitters have since tied up all that land and on one of our last hunts there my brother in law hit a buck in the front leg and we couldnt get it before dark. We went back the next day and the group from Leupold Optics Division had that buck in their camp. We already had 7 hanging in the garage so we left it with them.

I spent a lot of my late teens and early 20's coon hunting, 1980's before fur prices went to crap. I still miss doing that, just sitting back in the woods listening for the hounds is so peaceful.

I remember many nights sitting around a campfire with my dad and his friends just listening to the hounds running. He started taking me when I was 7 or 8 years old. Its something I really miss.

If there was any derailing done, I think I did it! haha. I'll go read the other thread now lol.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

No problem, Scott...Bigfoot rules!

I believe.

But back to pigs and BBQ...gee, this thread is covering The Great Outdoors, Shooting Sports, and the Thin Blue Smoke areas. How much more versatile than that can you get? I love it!

Anyways...SWMBO is leaving tomorrow for Memphis. Her, her daughter, and sister are going to spend a full day in Memphis on Friday, then drive to Nashville and spend a day there on Saturday, going to the Grand Ole Opry and catch about seven different acts. She's going to see if she can find some local BBQ sauce to bring back. Maybe by the time she gets back I can nail a wild hog.

I believe.

But back to pigs and BBQ...gee, this thread is covering The Great Outdoors, Shooting Sports, and the Thin Blue Smoke areas. How much more versatile than that can you get? I love it!

Anyways...SWMBO is leaving tomorrow for Memphis. Her, her daughter, and sister are going to spend a full day in Memphis on Friday, then drive to Nashville and spend a day there on Saturday, going to the Grand Ole Opry and catch about seven different acts. She's going to see if she can find some local BBQ sauce to bring back. Maybe by the time she gets back I can nail a wild hog.

GOOD LUCK!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?

I believe.

I know there’s a place there that sells pig’s ears on a biscuit!
That’s good eating

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I know there’s a place there that sells pig’s ears on a biscuit!
That’s good eating

I remember scraping pig's ears when I worked at a packing house, and also washing out tripe, for people that would come asking for them. Sometimes you need to get over your food aversion. Like Mountain Oysters. Aunt used to call Mountain Oystars calf ears when we were kids so we didn't know what they were and would eat them.

Anyways, went out by the pond, while keeping an eye out for pigs, and had a bowl of Sutliff Great Outdoors in a little billiard.

(I thought I'd use this post to segue into The Brown Leaf section. :biggrin1:)

DSC_0010 (2).JPG

martym

I love mountain oysters!!!
Tripas are great!!
I love pig’s feet!

I cannot stand to even look at Alfredo sauce!!
Don’t bring Machacado into my house.

My wife says I am weird!!

martym

That’s a framing and wall hanging quality photo.
Well done!

I remember scraping pig's ears when I worked at a packing house, and also washing out tripe, for people that would come asking for them. Sometimes you need to get over your food aversion. Like Mountain Oysters. Aunt used to call Mountain Oystars calf ears when we were kids so we didn't know what they were and would eat them.

Anyways, went out by the pond, while keeping an eye out for pigs, and had a bowl of Sutliff Great Outdoors in a little billiard.

(I thought I'd use this post to segue into The Brown Leaf section. :biggrin1:)

View attachment 918929

My father kept hounds. First coon hounds and when the fur market fell out, fox and coyote hounds. Skinning foxes and coyotes is a lot easier than racoon, and a lot less scraping too lol.

I still have the paperwork from the big Hudson Bay fur sale for our last year coon hunting, 1981. Drum, my dads best hound, came off the tailgate barking treed one night. We shot 7 in one tree and 21 that night in the same bush. Average price on that lot was $119. The season opened Oct.15 if I remember right, and ran to Dec.31.

When a hound is chasing $100 bills up a tree its hard not to hunt them.

We hunted deer with hounds two years in a row. The guys we went with used beagles. They dont run them fast or far and the deer just keep circling back like a rabbit until someone gets a shot. My dad cut his big black and tan coyote hound loose, he liked chasing deer. Using his ear horn he listened to him run until he couldnt hear him anymore. We got him back the next day. Another group of hunters shot the buck in front of him 16 miles away lol.

That picture of Cowboy above, you cant see it in that picture, but theres a radio tracker on his collar. It was common to run a single coyote 15 miles or more.

I really miss listening to hounds working a track. I grew up with that.
Ha, last year I averaged less than 20 on coon. My best hotel was $55 though. All trapped, no hounds. Cool pictures.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ha, last year I averaged less than 20 on coon. My best hotel was $55 though. All trapped, no hounds. Cool pictures.

My father trapped too, mostly Muskrats, but the odd fox too.

I havent talked to a fur buyer since about 1995 and he was paying $20 a pelt then.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I still have two coon pelts in the freezer. They were only bringing about $10 when I got them so I held onto them for awhile. My trapping license has long expired though so I can't legally sell them. I may look at tanning them and making something out of them.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I still have two coon pelts in the freezer. They were only bringing about $10 when I got them so I held onto them for awhile. My trapping license has long expired though so I can't legally sell them. I may look at tanning them and making something out of them.

I'm not sure fur would work for a brush knot, but if it was packed densely enough it might lol. It would sure be soft though.

Coon hides are tough, you can do a lot with them.

Top Bottom