What's new

There're baaaack

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Man, I SO need a single action!

I like the old 3 screw Blackhawk. It's on the lighter old .357 sized frame but chambered for the more potent .41 mag. I had a gunsmith take the trigger pull down to 2 1/2 pounds years ago...it shoots nice. And built like a tank. The new .41s and .357s are on the larger .44 frame now I think...I like the lighter old models.

I colored the front sight red for better visibility and have been meaning to put some range marks on the front sight in gold or white, but haven't shot it enough lately. Need to remedy that...that box of 230 grain bear loads could be of help.

And I just came back in...wouldn't you know it...you throw a party and nobody shows up. Not a sign of a hog anywhere.

Last edited:
I like the old 3 screw Blackhawk. It's on the lighter old .357 sized frame but chambered for the more potent .41 mag. I had a gunsmith take the trigger pull down to 2 1/2 pounds years ago...it shoots nice. And built like a tank. The new .41s and .357s are on the larger .44 frame now I think...I like the lighter old models.

I colored the front sight red for better visibility and have been meaning to put some range marks on the front sight in gold or white, but haven't shot it enough lately. Need to remedy that...that box of 230 grain bear loads could be of help.

And I just came back in...wouldn't you know it...you throw a party and nobody shows up. Not a sign of a hog anywhere.

I like the smaller lighter frames as well. Ruger is making a single-seven in .327 that using some aluminum in the frame, and XS is making the sights for it. It’s checking a lot of boxes for me!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like the smaller lighter frames as well. Ruger is making a single-seven in .327 that using some aluminum in the frame, and XS is making the sights for it. It’s checking a lot of boxes for me!

I like what I hear about the.327, but don't know if it has enough diameter to do the job on tough game animals if velocity is slowed down a bit by obstructions or distance, or a hollow point gets clogged, although I'm using heavy hard cast solids for tough stuff in the .41. Never even seen a .327 much less shot one, but it seems good from what I've heard.

Nammit...now I'm looking for a new holster for the Ruger. I got a cheap buscadero rig with the deal when I bought it, along with the Herrett's stocks and the factory stocks, and all but six rounds of factory 210 grain in a box of ammo for $75 years ago. I guess the guy shot six rounds through it and didn't like it. I converted the holster to crossdraw to fit on a pants belt so the 6 1/2 inch barrel wouldn't stick in the ground when I sat down. I don't wear buscadero rigs while woods walking.

I've been looking at one of these. El Paso does excellent work...I have some of their stuff. I'm leaning towards the button snap instead of the leather thong. I have an extra fancy floral carved pancake style one with the black, dyed background for my 1911, plus extra fancy floral carved mag. holder and cuff case, but for the Ruger I'll just get the plain leather.

1920 “Crossdraw” – 2″ to 7 1/2″ Barrels – El Paso Saddlery

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
@simon1 ,
Since the flood I haven’t been able to sneak out to the ranch. I am hoping not to miss another deer season but we shall see.
And boy do I ever miss hunting hogs. Actually I just miss the peace of just sitting in a blind.
I use Moultree feeder lights. Green LED that I have set to motion. The hogs get used to them coming on and don’t spook. They are good out to a couple hundred yards.

I like what I hear about the.327, but don't know if it has enough diameter to do the job on tough game animals if velocity is slowed down a bit by obstructions or distance, or a hollow point gets clogged, although I'm using heavy hard cast solids for tough stuff in the .41. Never even seen a .327 much less shot one, but it seems good from what I've heard.

Nammit...now I'm looking for a new holster for the Ruger. ,

The .327 for me is just fine being I live in Kansas. I'm not to sure I would want it as a primary to take up against a pig, but I know it'll do deer and anything KS might throw my way. The fact is, I'm not into caliber wars anymore. I mean I would pack it in Texas too if its what I had, because I know most things a handgun is called to do would have been better suited for a rifle. It's just packing a rifle is a real drag...

Speaking of packing. I am a firm believer in buying a good holster. I mean firm believer. I guess it helps that I carry, but there is just no place in my world for an uncomfortable rig - cuz then I will not pack it when I need it. Moreover, when it comes to maneuvering about, I'm not about my gun dropping and stuff. lol - so I spend the cash on good holsters. For me it's well worth it.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Speaking of packing. I am a firm believer in buying a good holster. I mean firm believer. I guess it helps that I carry, but there is just no place in my world for an uncomfortable rig - cuz then I will not pack it when I need it. Moreover, when it comes to maneuvering about, I'm not about my gun dropping and stuff. lol - so I spend the cash on good holsters. For me it's well worth it.

Good quality leather is an asset. EPS makes good stuff...I may call them and see if they have one in crossdraw that will fit the smaller framed old model Ruger. Ninety bucks is not bad for a good holster. The carved stuff is a bit higher though...much higher.

proxy.php

203a-jpg.475127

@simon1 ,
Since the flood I haven’t been able to sneak out to the ranch. I am hoping not to miss another deer season but we shall see.
And boy do I ever miss hunting hogs. Actually I just miss the peace of just sitting in a blind.
I use Moultree feeder lights. Green LED that I have set to motion. The hogs get used to them coming on and don’t spook. They are good out to a couple hundred yards.

Hope you are able to get out and pop a few pigs once you get the house straightened up.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
It's Bigfoot Mike? I didn't know they named them now. Mike seems like an inappropriate name...should be Harry. :biggrin1:

I tend to neglect punctuation on my phone. Leaving it out sure changes how a sentence reads.

I think its Bigfoot, Mike (Or Harry). A lot of activity in the Hill Country lately. :w00t:

martym

For some strange reason it reminded me of a scene from Spies Like Us.
The one where they parachuted into the woods and it was quiet and there’s a noise!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
In Texas hogs are shoot on sight...daytime, nighttime, and with firearms, archery, knives, pitchforks, what ever. The feral hogs have overrun things. They have destroyed so much that the State says...shoot on sight.

I wish we could here, but not many piggies running around on the loose where I am.

This guys gettin er done lol.

With my little Nitecore P12, 1000 lumen LED with a single 18650 Lithium battery, I could easily shoot at 100 yards open sights or scope, and it can be barrel mounted. It will reach to 200 or so, but you need good glass to gather enough light at that range. I've had it three years now and its a fantastic little light. Its so bright everything I've shone it on has just stopped dead in its tracks, blinded.

Some guys are using lights like these to shoot in excess of 800 yards at yotes at night.

Olight SR52-UT Intimidator KIT, $149.95

TN42 LED Searchlight

Flashlight technology is really picking up quickly.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I wish we could here, but not many piggies running around on the loose where I am.

This guys gettin er done lol.

With my little Nitecore P12, 1000 lumen LED with a single 18650 Lithium battery, I could easily shoot at 100 yards open sights or scope, and it can be barrel mounted. It will reach to 200 or so, but you need good glass to gather enough light at that range. I've had it three years now and its a fantastic little light. Its so bright everything I've shone it on has just stopped dead in its tracks, blinded.

Some guys are using lights like these to shoot in excess of 800 yards at yotes at night.

Olight SR52-UT Intimidator KIT, $149.95

TN42 LED Searchlight

Flashlight technology is really picking up quickly.

That looks like fun, and it would be very effective. There's one that does that in Commerce, but it's $2,000 an hour but you can split it between two people. Commerce is exactly an hour from my house...went to A&M there and also a bit at the College Station campus.

Helicopter Feral Pig Hunting in Texas - Skyhunter Outfitters

There's also regular ground hunts about an hour-and-a-half from me, but why pay when I can go out in the
backyard.

hog hunting north texas - Google Search

The people at the ranch next to me shoot them all the time, but they have more land they can access than I do.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
That looks like fun, and it would be very effective. There's one that does that in Commerce, but it's $2,000 an hour but you can split it between two people. Commerce is exactly an hour from my house...went to A&M there and also a bit at the College Station campus.

Helicopter Feral Pig Hunting in Texas - Skyhunter Outfitters

There's also regular ground hunts about an hour-and-a-half from me, but why pay when I can go out in the
backyard.

hog hunting north texas - Google Search

The people at the ranch next to me shoot them all the time, but they have more land they can access than I do.

I hadnt even thought about helicopter outfitters lol. That would make for an expensive hour. How many rounds per minute again? lol

I wish we had shooting like that here. I'd be out everyday and loading every night. Is there a bounty on them?

martym

Weird thing is that even though they are destroying everything the almighty dollar took over!!
They charge outrageous money to hunt hogs here in Texas

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Is there a bounty on them?

Not that I know of...you can just get rid of them anytime, day or night, with whatever you want to use. There was a bounty on coyotes in the county that my Uncle's ranch is in, N.E. Oklahoma, many years ago. I forgot what is was, $2 a 'yote I think, maybe.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Weird thing is that even though they are destroying everything the almighty dollar took over!!
They charge outrageous money to hunt hogs here in Texas

You got that right...opportunity to make a buck at some places. Around here some places will let you hunt them just to try and get rid of them.

Top Bottom