What's new

Any coyote hunters out there?

Saw a road runner a couple weeks ago. First time since I was a kid. But there was no coyote chasing it... [emoji1]

I got the Gamo Silent Cat for the same purpose. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet, but my neighbor swears by it. He's bagged a few coyotes that way. I'm just afraid to do too much practice shooting in the backyard. The back neighbor has little kids, and even though they're 150+ yards away (obviously I'm not thinking about shooting when they're in the yard), I'm not fond of the idea of accidentally flinging pellets into their yard if I miss my target.
I've got similar issues with one neighbor but my other neighbor actually puts food out for the coyotes.

I can't imagine being very happy with a neighbor who was enticing the varmints to come even closer to our houses. They're already bold enough that they'll come within 30' of us during daylight hours, and they aren't scared off by our loud noises. I'm already paranoid about a bold coyote going after the wife's little ankle biter dogs or the indoor/outdoor cats.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The problem may be getting a bit resolved with community effort. Besides the several shots I heard about 1/4 mile to the west of me the other night, after I had emptied two full magazines, I heard SEVERAL rifle shots about a 1/2 a mile to a mile to the east Friday and Saturday morning a bit before daylight.

I didn't hear them running last night but I'll pay more attention tonight. I still need a good light that will pick them up out to about 200 yards. Some good night vision would be good...I love those things.

Love blowing up coyotes with my 30-06. Want a 338 lapua to get them at 1000+ yards. I dispatch numerous coyotes in west texas on our deer lease. I am in Southeast texas and if you need any help with them, please ask.

As far as predator lights go you can spend $80-???. I like a green light as it will no spook them, and it makes theirs glow bright, a red light will do the same.

Here are a few options to look up:

Wicked Light
ND5
Coyote Reaper
O2 Beam iProtect (Academy $80)

There are a lot of good options out there, just need to research the one that fits your needs best.

In Coastal SC, hunting for coyotes is legal year round. At least one visits my yard and surprised my wife last week while walking our two Corgies who chased the coyote into the marsh. We knew he was here last year as a game camera took several pictures. We also had a bobcat family that we saw on our walks. The local Game Warden said to shoot them or pay a critter management person to trap or shoot them. He also said that 99% of coyotes, Bobcats, and fox had rabies just like the many raccoon we have.

My my personal bias is to use enough fire power including 12 gauge shotguns if close enough with buck shot. A pellet gun or even 22 ga is too small for me. Also, I've heard plantation guides and game managers say that the wounded rabbit recordings do work but do not know how to play them loudly. When I bailed hay late afternoon the coyotes would run in front of my running tractor trying to get the huge flock of cattle egrets. Doug

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for all the help and advise...keep it coming.

I think they have been thinned out a little from the rifle fire I heard just before daylight awhile back; I heard them after that but not as many. They were pretty quiet for a few days.

I heard a couple yesterday just before daylight about a 100-150 yards behind the house, but of course they were behind the tree line and out of sight. I guess I need to start trying to call them into range...and get a light. They pretty much stay away from my fence lines but I can't keep the barn cats from wandering out.

As far as predator lights go you can spend $80-???. I like a green light as it will no spook them, and it makes theirs glow bright, a red light will do the same.

Here are a few options to look up:

Wicked Light
ND5
Coyote Reaper
O2 Beam iProtect (Academy $80)

There are a lot of good options out there, just need to research the one that fits your needs best.

Thanks Tom...I've been looking at red filter lights but if the 'yotes don't get where I can see 'em....

I've looked at Wicked Light and looks good. But this situation is just hearing them and trying to get a shot at them from the house instead of hunting them. And get a shot where I can see and not hit livestock that may be in the cone of fire. I'm not gonna shoot at the sound. Dad taught me better than that. I may need to try the rabbit call to bring them in view.

Love blowing up coyotes with my 30-06. Want a 338 lapua to get them at 1000+ yards. I dispatch numerous coyotes in west texas on our deer lease. I am in Southeast texas and if you need any help with them, please ask.

Nice offer! But I don't think it would be worth your gas money to come up here. :001_smile

Since it's been in the mid 70s today the windows were open...didn't hear anything tonight...but I'm not holding my breath.

They stay just out of sight.

Have you considered trapping? My brother in law is currently working in Kansas, and, he's pretty effective.

$12391865_1078681248808907_316344862770248581_n.jpg

If trying to scare them off isn't having the desired effect, you may need to be more proactive and get them where you want them then dispose of them on the spot. I won't link directly, but his name is Lesel Reuwsaat. He has his own line of lures and baits. They seem to work ok. :001_cool:

Yes, trapping is by far the most efficient way of reducing coyote numbers. It's fun and not real difficult. Make sure you are careful to follow all laws and learn how to make the sets very coyote specific to limit accidental wandering dog catches.

You ou may be able to find a buyer for the animals in the whole if you wanted to make a couple bucks.

good luck.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have the appropriate sized traps and pan covers, but I'd need to get some fresh lure. And then there are the local dogs that wander around from time to time.

Just how would you make a set that would exclude a neighbor's roaming dog?

Nice haul for your BIL there Steve...and the siamese in the pic. is a cute touch. :biggrin1:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You have to admire and respect the coyote for his intelligence and adaptability. They are very clever animals. I have never hunted them but if I had to, with touchy neighbors in the picture, I would go with a high powered air rifle or a subsonic .22 for short range, and a .22LR with scope for longer ranges, and try to lure them in close with scent and sound. I like the idea of using feral or semi-feral cats as live bait, as long as the cat is not harmed. They help a lot in keeping smaller varmints under control.

Trapping sounds like a good idea to me. I would consider a live trap, so if a pet or other animal is caught that does not need to be dead, it can simply be released. A live trap would work best with solitary coyotes, and not pairs or packs. If one of a pair is caught, the other one will probably take the lesson to heart, and be much harder to trap.

Be mindful of diseases that could be a hazard to you or your animals. Be sure your dogs have their shots up to date. And you, too, if you will be handling dead or maybe not so dead coyotes. http://www.who.int/ith/vaccines/rabies/en/. Wash hands thoroughly after handling any carcases. Gloves would be a good idea.

I have the appropriate sized traps and pan covers, but I'd need to get some fresh lure. And then there are the local dogs that wander around from time to time.

Just how would you make a set that would exclude a neighbor's roaming dog?

Nice haul for your BIL there Steve...and the siamese in the pic. is a cute touch. :biggrin1:
There are certain lures made that are supposed to be attractive to coyotes but not as much to pet dogs. Using smaller traps will often grab a coyote but not a big pet dog.... If you're looking at snares, the ones that do not choke make it so you can release and may be the only legal ones. Location for the set is a factor in many cases. Daily morning check is good and probably the law in many places. Not putting sets where passing people might see a trapped yote is a good idea too.

It wont hurt a dog to get pinched, but people think it does. Seeing one in a trap usually means a call to the conservation officer. Not necessarily a bad thing, but a pain.

pm me if you would like some resources.

Top Bottom