What's new

Any coyote hunters out there?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
There is getting to be a major coyote problem here...been missing cats on a regular basis.

I was wondering what type of light you use. Have been shining a 600 lumen light about 150 yards away and don't see an eye reflection, and they are still in the same spot and I can't see anything. I've heard a good light with some red gift basket wrapping as a filter works, but I need to get them close enough to see them.

For the last several years it seems like they start running from the creek about a quarter mile from the house, then go about two-three hundred yards behind the house and used to come back of a morning about 200 yards in front of the house just across the road (my house is about 150 yards from the road). Now they are running in the front of the house, across the road, on their way out, and are there quite a bit.

I've been shooting a .22 into the ground in the front yard as a noise maker the last few nights, but they just ignore it. Tonight I put a full clip through the .22...twice...no effect. Then heard several shots about a quarter of a mile away down by the next house...no effect.

Apparently they have learned that the noise makers won't hurt them now. They are smart dogs. I think it is the pair along with their kits from last spring...about 4 to 8 total. They are starting to split up during the night to cover more territory for hunting.

I guess I need to call the rancher that owns the property across the road and see if I can go over there to try and get some shots at them with a .270...with a good backstop for the shot of course. I'm about ready to call the local Game Ranger and ask for a bit of help.

As an aside...when we first moved here about 20 years ago the house had sat vacant for a few months. The coyotes would come up in the front yard about 10 yards from the front porch. I just waded out into about a pack of five a few times and they ran off. Then some kits would come up in the tree line about 40 yards behind the house and the .22 noise maker trained them to not do that.

The noise maker is not working now.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never hunted them but I'm pretty sure Coyote season is a year round thing here in TN. There are a few rodents and small game you can hunt year round plus Coyote and no bag limit.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've not hunted 'yotes yet but they are beginning to infringe on the urban/ semi rural areas in S.E. Louisiana. Although surrounded by woods, my home is still too urban for anything other than a suppressed .22 LR. I recently lost one of my chickens to either a fox or a coyote, I didn't see which. Although your .270 would do the trick, I'd be more inclined to use a .223 or other varmint caliber with a light weight expanding bullet.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I hate the cat-eaters. They become bold with time, and will work closer and closer to your home.

Not a predator hunter, but here's some unconventional advice: scoped .22 semiauto, (since they're not afraid of it), loaded with Remington subsonic HPs. Keep it very handy and when one gets careless and close, hose it- shoot it/them and keep shooting. Not an ideal caliber, but low noise and lower possibility of damage to neighbor/hood.

We had a cocky pair of broad-daylight yotes on my street; boy up the hill shot the one with a .300 Blackout- the other hasn't been back. They learn.

AA

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Jason, there's no season on them here. You can take them all year round and any time of the day or night...kinda like feral hogs. If they have been killing livestock or pets you don't even need a hunting license...you do need a license if you just hunt them for sport.

A .270 is the smallest centerfire rifle I have , John...except for a lever action .30-30. The manager of the ranch next to us carries a Remington .30-06 in the truck. Wallyworld has the plain jane Mossberg 500 for about $266.00, but I don't want to buy another firearm just for this...I'd rather put that money towards another handgun. And I'm not real excited about sitting in a blind all night in 25 degree weather. :biggrin1: A night vision scope would be good but that would cost more than another gun. With night vision I could probably spot them from the front porch when I hear them start running. I've never hunted the wiley dogs, but I may get on some hunting forums and see what is used mostly as far as lights go.

I may call the Game Warden and see if the State contracts with any predator hunters to deal with problem animals. That wouldn't cost me anything besides the taxes I already pay.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a 10/22 Ad, but there is still the problem of seeing them at night. The closest I've seen any during the day has been at about 150-200 yards away. The ranch manager kept a couple of horses in my pasture until recently. Charlie, the palomino, hated coyotes. If a 'yote was foolish enough to come into the pasture he'd drop his head with his chin about 6 inches off the ground and take after them. I've seen him almost trample one. The coyotes do seem to be getting bolder now that the horses are not here.

My coyote problem is not on the same magnitude as yours and my environment is also different. I live in a densely populated area of single family homes where some neighbors actually leave food out for the coyotes and other neighbors complain about the sound of discharged firearms and have a small dog. As a result, my dog lives in constant danger and I have limited options available to protect him. I settled on a .177 Gamo Whisper Fusion Pro pellet gun (also available in .22) and have been very pleased. It's a break barrel action and thus single shot (it's main drawback) but the muzzle velocity is something like 1400fps when used with certain ammo and extremely quiet. No noise complaints so far and two felled coyotes, however, the effective range for accuracy is only about 50 yds. This works fine for me because I live at the end of a box canyon so most of my shots are 20-50yd uphill shots. If you live in an area where you can legally fire a gun and/or your neighbors won't complain - you should definitely consider something less specialized.

I've never done it, but they are a huge problem in SC too. The season is year round as well.

My brother in law has experience hunting them. I'll pick his brain when he is back from vacation next week.

The best coyote deterrent is a Mule.....but not a lot of folks don't have the means. Keeps the coyotes and other pesky no goods away from the chicken house and from the livestock.

Big dogs don't hurt either. My inlaws own 17 acres in the country. A good portion of their land is cleared in the middle, where the house and barn are. They have chickens and goats who have not been messed with yet. They have an 80lb Airedale. who runs the property all day. He is put in at night, but his scent seems to be enough of a deterrent for now. Their chicken coop is smack in the middle of the cleared area too, and there is at least 50-75 yards in every direction to the tree line. I dont think the Coyotes fancy crossing that uncovered distance.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you live in an area where you can legally fire a gun and/or your neighbors won't complain - you should definitely consider something less specialized.

Gunfire is a normal occurrence around here. Someone that has only lived in an urban area would have a heart attack hearing all the firearms that go off from time to time. :biggrin1:

The best coyote deterrent is a Mule.....but not a lot of folks don't have the means. Keeps the coyotes and other pesky no goods away from the chicken house and from the livestock.

I wish the horses were back, but they're both in Wyoming working for a hunting guide outfit.

The guy down the road has several coon dogs...the coyotes just go up and harass them.

Something like this may be an option, but it looks like it would be pushing the effective range limits of the red lights. I'd have to make sure it fit the 30mm tube of the scope on my .270. The scope has a 52mm objective lens so it should do okay for nighttime...I bought it off of the SWAT sniper when he upgraded. I'll see what the Game Warden suggests.

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/wic...-hunting-marksman-kit-with-red-led-w400mmred/

http://nighteyeslights.com/LED-gun-lights?product_id=66

Last edited:
$image.jpeg

Bring it on!!!!

Seriously, a .270 is a pretty hefty rifle for Coyotes. Sure, it will work fine..just be mindful of the loads you will be using. Ton of information available on line pertaining to what round may be best for your application.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Seriously, a .270 is a pretty hefty rifle for Coyotes. Sure, it will work fine..just be mindful of the loads you will be using. Ton of information available on line pertaining to what round may be best for your application.

.270 is the smallest I have. I was thinking about maybe a 100 grain hollowpoint that would break up easy. If it would turn 4-5 inch groups at 200 yards that should work.

Attached is a photo of the preferred angle...the heavy woods should stop any misses and there is not another house in that direction for a looooong ways . They seem to be making a pass every night about the edge of the tree line that's a touch over 150 yards away (and yeah, the camera makes it look like it is further away than it really is). Some other angles would be workable if I got in an elevated position...say on top of the house or carport.

Okay.

proxy.php

proxy.php

:lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• $IMG_0008.jpg
    $IMG_0008.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 104
Lots of good talk about a 90 gr. Sierra in a lower velocity round. I'm not a hand loader so maybe one or those guys will jump in here.

Decent set up from right inside the 2nd fence line. Put up a small blind and I'd say you're pretty good to go.

Good killing field. Hell I've got that shot in my bag....

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
There is getting to be a major coyote problem here...been missing cats on a regular basis.

Mike, I've done coyote hunting quite a bit. To bring them in close to our hunting cabin we would use a rabbit distress call. They couldn't refuse the sound. It drove them very close. Use the call with the lights off in the house then pop your spot light on (or whatever) for a close shot. Even in the day you could get some action with a rabbit distress call.

youtube has quite a few examples.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
View attachment 629837

I am always so much help in these threads.

I will gladly pay you next Tuesday for your Wile E. Coyote services today.

Lots of good talk about a 90 gr. Sierra in a lower velocity round. I'm not a hand loader so maybe one or those guys will jump in here.

Decent set up from right inside the 2nd fence line. Put up a small blind and I'd say you're pretty good to go.

Good killing field. Hell I've got that shot in my bag....

I don't have the dies for the .270. I'll see what's available for ammo locally, or may have to order some. Would have to sight it in again as it's sighted for 130 grains.

I'm not going to set up a blind...I'm just staying inside by the heater until I hear them running. :biggrin1:

I may try Dad's old dying rabbit call, or a sacrificial cat. Just catch one of the barn cats (canvas coat and leather gloves required) and stuff it into the pet porter and put it about the middle of the front part of the pasture. Just don't hit the pet porter!

I still need a good light to light 'em up.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I live in the suburbs of Southwest Austin. Last night around 10PM I could here packs of coyotes barking and howling in the green belt next to our neighborhood. [MENTION=27468]simon1[/MENTION].

Make sure and check your game laws before spotlighting them. I've never checked but something makes me think hunting them with a light is illegal in my state. Could be wrong though.

I settled on a .177 Gamo Whisper Fusion Pro pellet gun (also available in .22) and have been very pleased.

I got the Gamo Silent Cat for the same purpose. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out yet, but my neighbor swears by it. He's bagged a few coyotes that way. I'm just afraid to do too much practice shooting in the backyard. The back neighbor has little kids, and even though they're 150+ yards away (obviously I'm not thinking about shooting when they're in the yard), I'm not fond of the idea of accidentally flinging pellets into their yard if I miss my target.

Last edited:
Top Bottom