What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I got my PAA Ascension yesterday and shaved with it this morning. I used a Feather blade and tightened it all the way and then did a 1/4 turn backwards to give it a slightly larger gap. I own the GC .84 and the Ascension is a much better razor in my opinion. I had an incredibly smooth shave and I tend to like more aggressive razors with a bit more blade feel. My favorites right now
are the Karve F plate, Charcoal L3 DC, Rex Ambassador on 5 setting and many many others in my vast collection. The Ascension is machined extremely well and it is a beauty to behold. I was very impressed with the smooth shave that was slightly aggressive but still smooth and extremely efficient. I own the DOC Evolution and it is extremely aggressive and I would never use a Feather blade in that one. PAA did a great job on the new version. Bravo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the new plates. They hold the blades much better than the V1 plates which had considerable blade chatter for me, and lifted the blade above the small guards making it easy to scratch my face on the sides of the blade. V2 plates make this a real smooth shave plus it's great to choose safety bar or open comb.

I got my PAA Ascension yesterday and shaved with it this morning. I used a Feather blade and tightened it all the way and then did a 1/4 turn backwards to give it a slightly larger gap. I own the GC .84 and the Ascension is a much better razor in my opinion. I had an incredibly smooth shave and I tend to like more aggressive razors with a bit more blade feel. My favorites right now
are the Karve F plate, Charcoal L3 DC, Rex Ambassador on 5 setting and many many others in my vast collection. The Ascension is machined extremely well and it is a beauty to behold. I was very impressed with the smooth shave that was slightly aggressive but still smooth and extremely efficient. I own the DOC Evolution and it is extremely aggressive and I would never use a Feather blade in that one. PAA did a great job on the new version. Bravo!!

Thanks for the comparison. I agree the Ascension is a superior razor. I have think the Ascension will be my new daily driver.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Wow that is something , I have the GC .84 and .68 plus The Karve with the C-plate and the D-plate
both Razors Give Me a wonderful BBS shave every time .
Now You guy's are going to make Me buy The PAA Ascension Too .

They are all unique, capable, and well priced. Happy to have all three.
Wow that is something , I have the GC .84 and .68 plus The Karve with the C-plate and the D-plate
both Razors Give Me a wonderful BBS shave every time .
Now You guy's are going to make Me buy The PAA Ascension Too .

Attention Moderators.

If you're going to merge a thread, at least do so into one with a clear/properly spelled title. I don't know what half of that title even means, but I'm pretty sure whatever braniac thought it would be cute to substitute Zeros for the Letter "O" didn't realize that such a substitution would only reduce thread traffic from searches by title for the very items he's trying to discuss. Please fix this thread's title to correct this (likely deliberate) error. Thank you.

~Kai

I understand your frustration your thread was consolidated with a thread which began in 2013! On what planet does that make sense? It really is a shame because the Ascension, is an amazing razor, which deserves much more love than it is currently getting. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with Doug's "checkered past".

1945. Beautiful handle and nice photo.

I recently purchased the Ascension SS twist because of some reviews I read. I have always liked the 1930's design of this lather catcher self-lubricating design,..

proxy.php

Thanks. I originally created a thread for this razor, a few hours later when I came back to the thread it was gone. I didn't understand why, so I created a 2nd thread and again when I came back to the thread the 2nd was also gone.

So I contacted B&B and asked why, was it something I did, did I violate a rule. I was told 5that the thread was moved over to this thread. So that is why my post comes up twice. I do believe this razor needs it own conversation with its own title.

I'm just not buying it. I don't mean to knock anyone's opinion, but whenever a new razor hits the market we hear the same thing - it's more efficient than laser hair removal yet smoother than a kitten's fur. I understand that YMMV but this sounds too much like deja vu. Just MHO, and I haven't tried the Ascension.

M

member 119848

@yellowgiallo, I have a bunch of these (unused) razors in my shaving supplies, so I was able to check a few new ones to see if your condition is normal.
I confirm: the posts will have material taken away as you tighten a first blade into it. For that matter, you may take a used blade for the first time as it will also take some torsion stress.
The cap threads have bakelite at their base (just like yours) that seems normal on new razors.
Like new shoes, this razor might need to be broken through at the beginning. Now, if the blade bends like you showed us, like it happended to me too, don´t be afraid to tighten the razor further more, all the way through. Don´t be afraid, this razor is strong and it won´t break that way!
If necessary, repeat the process with another (used) blade, as the posts are being worn again, less force will be necessary to tighten the razor.
I hope it helps.

@yellowgiallo, I have a bunch of these (unused) razors in my shaving supplies, so I was able to check a few new ones to see if your condition is normal.
I confirm: the posts will have material taken away as you tighten a first blade into it. For that matter, you may take a used blade for the first time as it will also take some torsion stress.
The cap threads have bakelite at their base (just like yours) that seems normal on new razors.
Like new shoes, this razor might need to be broken through at the beginning. Now, if the blade bends like you showed us, like it happended to me too, don´t be afraid to tighten the razor further more, all the way through. Don´t be afraid, this razor is strong and it won´t break that way!
If necessary, repeat the process with another (used) blade, as the posts are being worn again, less force will be necessary to tighten the razor.
I hope it helps.

Thanks, I have tightened it extremely tight. I got a lot of the bakelite out of the threads but its too thick at the bottom. My new cap will be here monday.

I'm just not buying it. I don't mean to knock anyone's opinion, but whenever a new razor hits the market we hear the same thing - it's more efficient than laser hair removal yet smoother than a kitten's fur. I understand that YMMV but this sounds too much like deja vu. Just MHO, and I haven't tried the Ascension.

That's fair. Thankfully enough people did buy the aluminum model, which lead him to produce the stainless steel model which many of us are currently enjoying [emoji6].

Have tried the PAA Ascension tightened all the way? How does it compare to the .84 GC then? Is it still more efficient in your opinion? When loosening the handle 1/4 or 1/2 turn, does the head feel tight still, or somewhat loose?

Sorry for all the questions.

I found the Ascension to get a bit rough beyond 1/4..it's super efficient at 1/8 and hardly worth the decrease in smoothness much beyond that.
Have tried the PAA Ascension tightened all the way? How does it compare to the .84 GC then? Is it still more efficient in your opinion? When loosening the handle 1/4 or 1/2 turn, does the head feel tight still, or somewhat loose?

No prob. I have not tried it tightened all the way yet. The head does still feel somewhat tight when loosening the handle to change the blade gap.

This is what I used yesterday.
proxy.php

I swapped the handle for a polished Mongoose handle that I had laying around. Great combination!!

Top Bottom