What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

While not exactly the same scent, you might want to try Cartier Declration Dun Soir. This scent consist of rose, cedar, and pepper. Might want to try.

I want to but I have enough AS at the moment. If this is anything like the rest of the offerings from PAA, the quality and scent are sure to be superb.

$tumbleweed.gif

I agree with DaltonGang about the business ethics issues of HTGAM/Phoenix, however to answer your question in a general sense.

For a long time there have been pre-shave oils and somewhat later pre-shave soaps that are both designed to help soften the beard and hydrate the skin before lathering with soap or cream. Folks who use this approach, believe that they get a closer and more gentle shave.

I'm generally not one of those people. Occasionally, I will use a $2 glycerin soap from whole foods as a pre-shave, while I brush my teeth and build a lather in a bowl. I'm more likely to do this during the dryer winter months, but am not sure that it really does anything. Alternatively there used to be a thread on B&B discussing an old advertisement from the 1930's that suggested lathering shave cream on your face and then, you guessed it brushing your teeth and cleaning the tub, rinsing off that first lather and then build the first lather that you'd shave with.

Along the same line, some folks would use shave cream quickly finger lathered just to cover the face and then covered with a hot, wet towel for a few minutes.

However, I'm a big believer in YMMV, so if you want to give it a try you should go for it.

Save your money. I use Homemade Preshave Oil. It works better than the AOS stuff I used in the past.

75% Castor Oil
25% Olive Oil
Sandalwood(or other) essential oil to your liking.

This works great. Smooths the shave out, and hydrates the beard and skin. Leaving the face soft afterwards..

Very much YMMV. Generally just wash my face with a glycerin soap while in the shower. I've tried pre-shave oil, but it just wasn't my thing (not a fan of the oily sensation). So try a couple of the techniques listed above and see what you like.

I agree with DaltonGang about the business ethics issues of HTGAM/Phoenix, however to answer your question in a general sense.

For a long time there have been pre-shave oils and somewhat later pre-shave soaps that are both designed to help soften the beard and hydrate the skin before lathering with soap or cream. Folks who use this approach, believe that they get a closer and more gentle shave.

I'm generally not one of those people. Occasionally, I will use a $2 glycerin soap from whole foods as a pre-shave, while I brush my teeth and build a lather in a bowl. I'm more likely to do this during the dryer winter months, but am not sure that it really does anything. Alternatively there used to be a thread on B&B discussing an old advertisement from the 1930's that suggested lathering shave cream on your face and then, you guessed it brushing your teeth and cleaning the tub, rinsing off that first lather and then build the first lather that you'd shave with.

Along the same line, some folks would use shave cream quickly finger lathered just to cover the face and then covered with a hot, wet towel for a few minutes.

However, I'm a big believer in YMMV, so if you want to give it a try you should go for it.
Man, that 30's commercial is what I've been doing since my beginning days of wet shaving...with great results. Kind of neat they used to preach that practice, because I've always thought it was a little "against the grain," (pun intended) of me to do so. I don't think my face likes oils too much, so never had good luck using any. My naturally oily skin is plenty moist without a need of an oil, but I can see how it might help those with less natural oiliness.

Thanks for sharing!

Ryan

There are reasons I use the preshave oils. I naturally have dry skin and found the preshave oil greatly helps with irritation and ingrown hairs, as well as hydrating the skin.

I'm a fan of Noxzema as a face wash/pre-shave. I wash with it in the shower and then re-apply to let it sit while I prep the sink area and whatnot. Any and all drama aside, pre-shave products aren't important enough to me to warrant a stand-alone product. I'd rather save the room for more soaps.

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements (PAA) Gondolier is the one soap and aftershave from their website that I keep placing in my shopping basket and suddenly removing right before I place my order. It's probably the one PAA scent that seems to have the most mixed reviews. Some reviewers even have it as one their top scents. On my last order I was all set to purchase Frost Byte pre-shave and shaving soap along with Gondolier, but then I noticed the Magi AS/Cologne and it seemed really unusual, so Gondolier was removed.

I have it but haven't worn it yet. It smells ok from the bottle. Maybe a little generic "cologney"...That said I need to wear it for an official opinion.

I have been poking around Italian Barber creating a ridiculously large shopping cart full of things that I think I would like but probably won't buy because I'm in college still and don't make much money.

So I currently have about five aftershaves and one soap in my cart. I'm trying to pump up the soap number a little, but I'm feeling an aftershave AD coming on. I noticed this soap during my searching for things I can't actually buy. I did a quick search on here and only found one brief comment from a user that liked it pretty well. I tend to lurk in the soap forum because that is my current wet shaving obsession, but I have never seen this stuff pop up.

Does anyone know anything, have an opinion? I'm intrigued and curious. They have a few soaps and matching aftershaves.

Phoenix Accoutrements is a relatively new company that formed from a marriage between "How To Grow A Mustache" and "Petal Pusher Fancies." Good soaps, good scents, good prices. I'm sure you'll find plenty of info if you search by their previous names.

If they sold the best stuff on earth and were giving it away free I still would not use it! I don't support people like them

Top Bottom