What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Haven't tried the newer ones, but the older PAA splashes that contained alum were the very best I've tried (gave my face a smooth matte feel rather than greasy drug store aftershave feel). Sadly he stopped putting alum in the splashes, but many find them just as good!

These are excellent splashes and worth the up charge in my opinion. Like Jim, Atomic Age Bay Rum is my all time favorite bay rum scent. All have great skin food and my face really likes them.

Pro Tip: They have a sample section, so you can try them all for like a buck each.

I'm a big fan of the SunDown.

They're actually all pretty good, albeit a tad pricy. The glass bottles are really nice though, FWIW.

I've got 2 or 3 more splashes to use up, then I intend to grab some PAA offerings. Their Creosote and Lilac & Fig scents sound really different and unusual. I like that in a company.
Anybody with experience on these two?

76B2E57F-90F3-456E-84CA-E6DEF57DA86E.jpeg
197B9CB1-045F-47D1-A35C-2F4DC665D06A.jpeg
I’ve been fortunate to sample the PAA Copalli before it is released to the public as part of a pass around

This is my first try with the CK-6 formula and in this shaver’s humble opinion, it lives up to the hype.

As you can see, it easily whips up a thick and slick lather. I’ve had slicker soaps on my face, but perhaps its the fact I didn’t dial it in with my first time shaving.

I used a simplified post shave: cold water rinse, alum and the PAA Copalli aftershave. The post shave is PHENOMENAL. As good as anything I’ve used.

In terms of the scent, it’s as described, woody, resin and a bit dark. It’s not exactly my cup of tea, but it’s not offensive either. Lovers or woody, smoky scents will love it.

I’m truly impressed by this soap and aftershave.

Gents, we are truly fortunate to have such a bounty of fantastic products, and by the generosity of others to share in this bizarre ritual of wet shaving.

Well today I received my sample of PAA Sundown. After reading the reviews I was tempted to buy the full bottle, I am glad I did not. The scent, to my nose, is nowhere near SunUp. While not a bad scent at all it is heavier and more cloying than Sunup. Even the dry down leaves what seems to be a more musky smell. I am disappointed but not really surprised, as clones are seldom as nice as the original. All of this being said, Sundown may be fine for a night at the bar or something but it is certainly NOT something one would wear to the office. I suppose YMMV with aftershaves as well but...this one is not for me. Gonna have to go find some more SunUp damnitall! :)

I've got 2 or 3 more splashes to use up, then I intend to grab some PAA offerings. Their Creosote and Lilac & Fig scents sound really different and unusual. I like that in a company.
Anybody with experience on these two?

I've never tried these two, but they sound like they have lots of potential.
I've tried their Sandalwood (which is very deep, and rich, and awesome) and their Planet 9 (which is a Neroli bomb, and I highly recommend it if you are a neroli fan).
Let us know how what you get.

Have you tried Barrister and Mann's Reserve Classic? I believe it is also supposed to be a "clone" of Sun Up. They have samples also.

I have never used PAA shaving soaps before, so I was wondering how they are. Do they last long? how many shaves can you get out of the tub? I noticed they have a new line of shaving soaps called ck-6. They also sell their regular non ck'-6 shave soaps. are there any big differences between the two? I know the non ck-6 shave soaps are obviously cheaper than the ck-6 ones. Has anyone tried any of their shave soaps ck-6 or non ck-6? anyone use the atomic age bay rum PAA soap? how is the scent strength on that one?

this have something to do with their "lineage"? Just found them, then did a search here...seems like good products, however...someone reassure me that 2014-5 is long in the past
That's all water under the bridge. PAA is a good company to buy from. Doug and Fran are good people.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

I just used a sample of their CK-6 line of soap and I must say it performs very well. It lathers up really nice, almost like a cream. It has excellent glide and residual slickness and feels luxurious. Post shave feel was very good to the point that I didn't need to apply post shave balm.

The only con (as with all soaps with high residual slickness soaps that I have tried) is that they leave a residue behind on your razor which takes more effort to rinse off. It is also your face, but it feels more like a balm on your face.

Overall it is definitely worth a try. When I finish with my A&E tub, I will most likely pick up a jar for those really dry days.

I'm currently in love with barrister and mann seville which PAA scents are close to this I've been hearing a lot about paa and i want to try them out

Top Bottom