What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Okay, I guess they are less. I just checked. Not sure why this model is more.

Yeah, you got me on that one. I'm just looking to get my feet wet with injectors and want to try to make the right choice before diving in. Just don't want to choose the wrong razor for the first go round. :)

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this razor?

View attachment 945270

I have one. I think it's the same as the Type L clone often sold with Chinese Schick blades. I opted for it due to price, and because the simple act of putting it into a special box might have an extra set of eyes on it. A B&B member bought one from PAA, had problems with the blade riding on the stops, and PAA made good on it.

These clones do not come with the blank blade like the new Schick injectors did back in the day, so you can count on sacrificing one blade. I initially had problems with a new blade (Chinese Schick, AKA Chick blade) riding up under the old, but this went away.

I find it on the mild side. The shave isn't as smooth as my Schick Adjustable, but not terrible, either. One day I might compare it to a real Type L to see how it fares. For me, it would make a good travel razor as I prefer injectors, and wouldn't be upset if I lost it. OTOH, TSA probably wouldn't like it any better than DE razors.

I just bought one of the PAA injectors and am testing it out with Chinese Schick blades for a 30-day round. I have had problems with blade alignment as the blade stops were not well or consistently finished. Specifically, the stop seems to have been finished with a slope to it and the blade rides up over time until it eventually sits on top of the stop and extends forwards. I have just now taken a file to the stops and flattened out their faces to see if that prevents the blade from moving and misaligning.

I really like the feel of the injector blade and want to try and make it work. I have spent the money and have the PAA in hand so I am going to try and adjust it (within reason) to see what I can do. I am off to Japan at the end of March for a 2 week trip and was going to try and pick up some twin blades while there. I have heard much about how the combination of the later Schick's and the twin blade give a great shave. So I won't give up until I have tried out this combination.

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably be patient and try to pick up an original.

I've never used any other injectors before to compare it to, but I'm loving it so far! There's definitely a learning curve involved after using DE razors for the past 3 years, but for a "mild" injector it definitely seems to mow down the hairs more efficiently than a "mild" DE. I was originally planning to get a Razorock Hawk, but they were sold out, and I knew that Schick Proline blades were available in the injector size as well as Artist Club size. I think the PAA clone is a good introduction to injectors for those who are unsure how to judge the condition of a vintage one.

Thank you everyone for the input. I think I may try to find an original Type L to start off with. I don't trust myself with having to fight to get a blade in the razor. I am going to look on the 'bay, but if anyone on here has one they would part with, I will see on the BST forum. Thank you gents for the help with this. :)

The new aqua aluminum one is crazy aggressive lol .I thought the doc red I have from then is aggressive but this one blows it out of the water .to be honest I have never felt a more aggressive razor .maybe I just need to get use to it .I must say though. I love the look and build quality is amazing

Strangely enough, I find most of the PAA scents to be "too sweet". Their "Twee" scent is no different: Very, very sweet. Not at all my thing. I guess that's just how my "scent tastes" are. I like their CaD; very, very classic manly smell. Women love it. But it's exactly the same as Fine American Blend, which gets the same scent reaction from me and from women as Cad.

I also own PAAs Oud Spice, which is weird for me. I like it in the bottle a lot. But then on my skin, as it dries down, it turns very, very spicy with notes of cinnamon or something else "sharp", which I don't really like. So I have a fairly premium product sitting in a bottle which I'll probably never finish.

Their discontinued scent "Lime Teatree Ginger" is FANTASTIC. Nice lime scent balanced really well by the ginger, which just tones the lime down and makes it more of a "soft lime". Apparently not popular though, as they discontinued it.

The other 15 or so scents of theirs I have tried (in 1mL sample tubes) are all overly sweet for me.

Sorry for long response. Just thought it might help explain my perspective a bit.

Brian.

Come to think of it, I agree. They do tend to be "sweet" I have the Sartorial scent and it is sweet when I compare it to the original. Perhaps that was intentional to differentiate the scents a little.

Still, I wish it was closer to the original as I'm a big fan of Sartorial.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
Any thoughts?
DSCF0004 - Edited (3).jpg

Pearl SSP-98СM | Britva11

Interesting. I do own a prismatic, although I don't use it and don't love the way it shaves. I actually believe they probably ripped off douglas at PAA , who admits to taking the razor head design from a company in France during WW2.

The Prismatic is based on/copied from/an homage to the razor made by Leresche for Kirby Beard. I have a Prismatic and it's a great razor, one of the few DEs to hit all my trouble spots without irritation. I wish more companies would clone some of the non-Gillette DEs like Leresche's OC design, Krect slants, Wardonia's "Gillette friendly" razors, etc.

I don't see the Pearl Kirby Beard clone on their website, is it upcoming or discontinued?

I just received four of the Stirling aftershave samples in the mail two days ago. They are Arkadia, Baker Street, Dunshire, and Pharaoh's Dreamsicle. Have any of you guys tried these? I like all four. What are some of your favorite's?

My fav of those is Baker St. I haven't tried Arkadia or Dunshire but I know what they are copies of and am not interested. PD is just basically a mellow orange frag, pleasant but not attention getting IMO. Baker St. is to me a classic old school British barbershop frag, but not as sweet as the typical barbershop rendering. I've already had a couple compliments on it and those are rare for me :a14:

i have the new aluminum flat bottom DOC. Two things though - handle was too light so i swapped with SS bulldog handle. The teeth were seriously sharp and at times i thought i was getting nicked by the blade when it was actually just the teeth. I buffed them slightly with super fine grit sandpaper to take the bite out of them. Huge difference . It's a bit aggressive, it's efficient. I have been getting amazing shaves with it. Glad i bought it.

Top Bottom