What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

Good technique and a light touch makes this razor an excellent 2 pass razor with 1 days growth or a months worth of Jeremiah Johnson's stubble. The R41(post 2011) is a great razor as is the Ikon Tech (most aggressive feeling), but the DOC EVO SS gives me almost a smooth a feeling shave as the R41 combined with just a a tiny bit less blade feel than the Tech. Yet it's more stable a platform than the both of them combined. Can you say Zero blade chatter? That can't be said about the other 2. Especially under heavy growth or super thick hair formation.

For a more experienced shaver that has their technique down from a Gillette Tech to a Wade & Butcher 17/16 Wedge, the EVO SS would be an excellent addition to that shave den. It looks intimidating, but is far from it in my experience.

Let me put it to you this way. I see double, perhaps even triple on postings for the Muhle R41 & Ikon Tech (exception the 11' R41) on the B/S/T forums than for an EVO. I can't even remember the last time I saw an EVO SS listed on any B/S/T forum. That alone should tell you something right there. When you shave with one, you don't give it up. It's a rare razor and a hell of a good one imo. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for a select few......

Cheers
Good technique and a light touch makes this razor an excellent 2 pass razor with 1 days growth or a months worth of Jeremiah Johnson's stubble. The R41(post 2011) is a great razor as is the Ikon Tech (most aggressive feeling), but the DOC EVO SS gives me almost a smooth a feeling shave as the R41 combined with just a a tiny bit less blade feel than the Tech. Yet it's more stable a platform than the both of them combined. Can you say Zero blade chatter? That can't be said about the other 2. Especially under heavy growth or super thick hair formation.

For a more experienced shaver that has their technique down from a Gillette Tech to a Wade & Butcher 17/16 Wedge, the EVO SS would be an excellent addition to that shave den. It looks intimidating, but is far from it in my experience.

Let me put it to you this way. I see double, perhaps even triple on postings for the Muhle R41 & Ikon Tech (exception the 11' R41) on the B/S/T forums than for an EVO. I can't even remember the last time I saw an EVO SS listed on any B/S/T forum. That alone should tell you something right there. When you shave with one, you don't give it up. It's a rare razor and a hell of a good one imo. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly for a select few......

Cheers

Cheers

This is spot on, Gus. My stainless DOC Evo won’t be living in my travel kit any longer. Nothing I own is more efficient. Some are more “aggressive,” i.e., more fear-inducing, and just as efficient (such as the Ikon Tech), but only the DOC Evo and Charcoal Goods Level 3 open comb truly combine efficiency, blade-forwardness and ease of use optimally for my face. The 17-4 is a joy to use, but is much less blade-forward in my hand.

P.S. Sorry about multiple quotes. Darn iPad.

I have read post most people agree PAA aftershave strengths are strong and long lived.
I have some sample vials coming and would like to know how much to use.
Is one sample vial considered one aftershave application?
Or do you prefer less?

They almost all last for hours, at least the ones I tried. I didn’t find them anywhere near as nice as as even bargain edt’s, so I stopped trying them. If you find one you like you will smell it for hours with a minimal application. Good luck and I am looking forward to your reviews.

One member said he used like a slash and his wife didn't like it.
He used the same aftershave the next day and applied it like a cologne ( a few dabs) , and she liked it.Of course she didn't know it was the same product.
Statements like that make me wonder how much of this PAA I want to slap on.

I've probably got a dozen bottles of PAA aftershave. It's one of my favorite AS brands, as it lasts a really, really long time (and it's got tremendous face feel). Especially long-lasting are Cavendish, Sk8shop, Sangre de Drago and Malbolge, in my den.

To try to address the OP's question, I use less PAA in my daily splash than any of my others (except Chatillon Lux). I don't know how large the samples are, but I use a bit more than a half-teaspoon.

He used the same aftershave the next day and applied it like a cologne ( a few dabs) , and she liked it.Of course she didn't know it was the same product.

That is very interesting as it happened to me last night. My wife likes the smell of Lime Ginger teatree and sometimes dabs a little on her wrists. I have worn it before and she liked it, but she wasnt around when I shaved so it had been several hours. Last nigh I used my GEM G-Bar on a five day growth and really slathered on the aftershave. Her reaction was "Oh my god! What is that??? It's horrible! It smells like an industrial cleaner or Pledge." I told her it was the one she likes....Lime, Ginger, Teatree. Im sure it was the teatree oil. It fades down and the remaining scent is very nice.

You'll definitely get more than one application from a sample vial. They are pretty generous samples. Probably a third of the vial is sufficient for one application.

I find they work best if I pour out a bit in the palm of my hand and then rub my hands together for 2 seconds before applying to my face.

I was also concerned that these PAA aftershaves would become cloying to people around me but once I tried them I've been pleasantly surprised. Many of them have very good longevity however it seems to me they remain close to the skin which is how I like it. I can smell it when I cup my hands to my face but not really if I don't.

Coconut Bay with Lime

I don't have a whole lot to say about this one. I usually avoid Bay Rums because they tend to irritate my skin. This one is really nice. Their original Bay Rum is very nice because it is made with essential oils and contains no clove, which I suspect is what irritates me with most Bay Rums. So this one is basically their Bay Rum with the addition of coconut and lime. I like the fact that the lime lingers and does not fade away immediately, and the coconut adds to the tropical vibe. Actually this is a very nice scent. It is long lasting and is not cloying or overpowering. So if you like Bay Rum, and Coconut and Lime this is really nice. The coconut is not too sweet smelling or overpowering of the other scents, which is a big PLUS in my book. The face feel is wonderful, as usual. I found it quite unique and it makes me want to dig out one of my vintage Hawaiian shirts and have a Barrel of Rum at the Mai-Kai restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale.

You'll definitely get more than one application from a sample vial. They are pretty generous samples. Probably a third of the vial is sufficient for one application.

I find they work best if I pour out a bit in the palm of my hand and then rub my hands together for 2 seconds before applying to my face.

I was also concerned that these PAA aftershaves would become cloying to people around me but once I tried them I've been pleasantly surprised. Many of them have very good longevity however it seems to me they remain close to the skin which is how I like it. I can smell it when I cup my hands to my face but not really if I don't.

I have many PAA aftershaves and agree with this whole post...pretty much spot on.

My guess is that this mans wife smelled him JUST after applying a large amount. If you apply it like that it will take a few minutes to absorb into the skin, but once that happens the smell changes to what it should be and remains close to the skin. I imagine this is true with about any aftershave though.

I really love their aftershave products. Feels great on the face and they have some really great scents. I have about 30 sample vials and I would say you can stretch the amount within a vial into about 3 applications.

I have noticed, though they are all long lasting, some have much less of an overpowering impact and settle down relatively quickly. Coconut Bay with Lime being one of them. Its there, but doesn't have the 500 watt PA system projection of Porthos, for example.lol Very nice scent, by the way.

Mine arrived yesterday and my first shave was a real disappointment. My first pass was so uncomfortable that I switched to my Merkur 37C.
I will give it another try tomorrow, and hopefully this is simply a learning curve thing.

I found it too aggressive to use. Unless you are real careful it will rip your face up. I gave mine away. It was the worst experience in shaving I've ever had.

It's on par with a Muhle R41 but I didn't have any problems with either one. I just didn't find them to be exciting compared to my others razors. Both were sold, consequently.

It's on par with a Muhle R41 but I didn't have any problems with either one. I just didn't find them to be exciting compared to my others razors. Both were sold, consequently.
Yup, and I bought it from ZigZiglar....two nice weepers on the first shave...and struggled to keep the head flat on my face...didn't feel the love. Will try it again this week, then, if magic does not happen, I may PIF it. Let's see.

I actually think this type of slant is perfect for neck shaving. It gives me the angle I need on both sides (since you can change the angle by simply turning this slant around). I liked it almost as much as the PAA OC Slant. They just require a light touch. I don't recall ever being bitten by either one. What blades are you using?

Top Bottom