What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

The sets (matches) are dead on. The only thing is I believe the a/s are superior to the soaps. I'm not the hugest fan of the consistency. They work excellent, lather pretty well but are just a gooey mess. That's with my hard water

Takes about 3 tubs to match the longevity of a bottle of a/s

Stay tuned for a proper review of this oxblood beauty...
IMG_20170918_183019.jpg
IMG_20170918_183032.jpg
IMG_20170918_183143.jpg
IMG_20170918_183158.jpg
IMG_20170918_183225.jpg
IMG_20170918_183233.jpg

Well, I own the PAA Bakelite OC Slant (in white) and I absolutely love it (thanks @1Cal!). When they started offering it in oxblood, I began twitching because as much as I wanted to own it in a different color, it made no sense to buy it again. One of the most attractive things about the OC Slant is that it's modeled after a vintage Fasan, so when I saw this (in oxblood, no less), my eyes lit up and I saw an opportunity to own yet another very cool 'vintage-esque' bakelite slant. I'm about to have a go with it this morning. One MAJOR difference I noticed immediately, is that the Ecliptic Slant is tooled way better than the OC. There are no rough edges like the OC. It's smooth and looks to be of the highest quality one can expect from a bakelite production. I'm also very pleased with the design, being that I can change the direction of the slant by turning the razor around in my hand (as opposed to the OC, which, by design, is the same angle on both sides). Very promising! Can't wait for the girl to get out of the bathroom!

Can't wait to read your report on it!

With the way that head is shaped, do you just lay it flat against your skin and let 'er rip? Hmm, maybe not the best choice in words...

You ride the topcap with this razor: the humpback is leading. This is not the loudest position but the easiest and smoothest shaving.
In my experience, having used the bakelite and aluminium versions of the Alpha Ecliptic as wel as the bakelite 1930's original, this is a terrific razor. One of the best slants presently available.
proxy.php

It is indeed a fine razor, gentlemen. Yep, it seems to work best when you use the cap as a guide. This thing is light and aggressive. It takes very little tightening at all and contrary to what I read about the aluminum version (granted), I had no blade alignment issues whatsoever. One aspect I was really impressed with was how smooth this thing shaves below the jaw. My neck was irritation free, despite the aggressiveness and the old (months old, with 25+ shaves on it) Crown blade I used to test it. I was tempted to use quick strokes with some slight pressure since I am accustomed to doing so with the PAA OC Slant, but I QUICKLY discovered that it behaves much differently. It requires no pressure at all and in fact it seemed that a nice steady, slow pace (like you'd take with a brass or SS razor) was its preferred style. So I did three passes for a BBS shave. It was also forgiving around my ears, lips and chin, though I did experience some slight discomfort on the back of my head, which was undoubtedly caused by my technique, having taken me a couple minutes to adjust to this new hardware. I was very pleased with the ability to rotate the handle and control the direction of the slant. Very nice feature of its design. The handle feels a taaaad bit longer than the OC Slant, though I did not get a chance to directly compare them. The razor is well balanced and feels great in my hand. Angle is just dead simple to find and keep. Blade exposure is perfect. This razor is a winner. A real winner. So glad I snagged one.

You need to compare it to the Fine Slant when you get it. I mailed it today and you have it by Friday.
I will! I've heard both great and terrible things about the Fine Superlite, which of course, just makes it that much more desirable to me. Time to pitch a tent next to the mailbox :D

I have all 3 colors of the PAA Bakelite slant and just ordered the Alpha Ecliptic Bakelite slant. I also have the Merkur Bakelite. I have not gone for any of the old Bakelite razors from the 1920 through WW2 eras as Bakelite does get brittle with age and some of the prices are a bit much IMO. I find it interesting that PAA is reviving the Bakelite DE razors.

Did any maker ever do a Gem blade SE Bakelite razor? I do not recall seeing one.

I bought this Alpha Ecliptic slant razor, and just can't bond with it. Yes, I ride the top cap with it. It does not work well for me. The blade does load evenly, every time, but I found it a rough shaver.

The BOCS didn't work for me either. I did get some great shaves from it, but it dropped off quickly, and now I can't get a decent shave from it.

I will re-visit these razors again in the future. For now, they are both a no-go for me.

I have both of the PAA bakelite slants and I get great shaves from both of them. These razors have changed my opinion about the value of bakelite razors.

I bought this Alpha Ecliptic slant razor, and just can't bond with it. Yes, I ride the top cap with it. It does not work well for me. The blade does load evenly, every time, but I found it a rough shaver.

The BOCS didn't work for me either. I did get some great shaves from it, but it dropped off quickly, and now I can't get a decent shave from it.

I will re-visit these razors again in the future. For now, they are both a no-go for me.
This is understandable, as we get used to the weight of a brass or stainless DE. I find that if I'm not careful, the bakelites will 'chatter' on me. I have to treat them appropriately. But definitely give them another try!

I have the BOCS and really like it--it's always a clean, irritation free shave. Knowing how much I spent on some of my razors I sometimes feel guilty that I like an $18 razor so much.

Having said that, I've been hesitant to buy the Alpha because it's such an unusual shape. I think you've changed my mind and I may pick one of these up.

Top Bottom