What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

if we're talking a soap to aftershave combo, one of the finest is Captains Choice Bay Rum. The soap is outstanding, the aftershave is earthy yet sweet and they complement each other quite well. I cant remember what I paid for it, though.

Just wondering if any of you fine gentlemen (and ladies) have tried this shave soap from PAA. I am intrigued by it as I wasn't born until 12 years after it was already discontinued. I find the classic scents the best.

I am torn between this and Sacre Bleu. I'd like to buy both, but I am trying to purchase soaps from a bunch of different suppliers so I can try them all.

Yup, they peform very well. Can't say you'll like the scent though, it's really subjective. I find the Crown King formula to be a bit cremier than the PAA formula but both are good.

I have Sacre Bleu soap and aftershave. It's a nice soap and scent. I have never had any issues with PAA or Crown King soaps, so I'm sure you'll do fine with either choice.
Supposedly the B&M Reserve Classic is supposed to be a take on the Sun Up scent as well.

If a person were to choose only one between the PAA BOCS or the PAA BAES, what would be the recommendation?
In particular for someone who doesnt own a slant.

If a person were to choose only one between the PAA BOCS or the PAA BAES, what would be the recommendation?

Well the BOCS has been my daily driver for many months now and every time I use a different razor I always end up wishing I had picked the bocs up instead. I do not have experience with the BAES.... Yet (said after submitting an order for one)

I have both and enjoy shaving with both. If it is the first slant for someone, I would highly recommend the BAES. The BOSC is mid to aggressive and does require special handling to seat the blade correctly. It gives a more efficient shave, however that sometimes come at the price of reduced comfort. The BAES does not torque the blade (though it bows the blade to the extreme like the Merkur 45 and RR Baby Smooth), and it does it's slant thing mostly by having the head sit diagonally. The funny shaped top cap helps to find the proper angle very easily and the shave comfort is very close to a regular DE. It is also very efficient and mid to mild as a shaver goes.

Hey gvw755, how DO you load the blade in the Bakelite Open Comb Slant? I've watched the video that PAA/Douglas Smythe posted, but mine seems to load cockeyed since the first 2 shaves.

Hey gvw755, how DO you load the blade in the Bakelite Open Comb Slant? I've watched the video that PAA/Douglas Smythe posted, but mine seems to load cockeyed since the first 2 shaves.
Okay I had to watch the video so we are both on the same page. Essentially, what he tells you to not do is what you should do. Put the top cap down on a flat surface, put the blade on, use your thumb and index finger on the blade between the screw post and the guide post on each side and press down until the blade fits the curve of the top cap. This should leave the blade bowed a bit. Put on the base plate and as you are screwing on the handle, press both sides of the base plate down until it is tightened (can press the outer edges or between the holes as in the first part). hold the razor upright and hold the ends of the head and do that last quarter turn. You should hear the blade make a bunch of creaking and bending noises, but that's what it is supposed to do. When you look from the top, if the blade looks crooked, you got it right as the edge aligns with the base plate edge, and not with the top cap.

Okay I had to watch the video so we are both on the same page. Essentially, what he tells you to not do is what you should do. Put the top cap down on a flat surface, put the blade on, use your thumb and index finger on the blade between the screw post and the guide post on each side and press down until the blade fits the curve of the top cap. This should leave the blade bowed a bit. Put on the base plate and as you are screwing on the handle, press both sides of the base plate down until it is tightened (can press the outer edges or between the holes as in the first part). hold the razor upright and hold the ends of the head and do that last quarter turn. You should hear the blade make a bunch of creaking and bending noises, but that's what it is supposed to do. When you look from the top, if the blade looks crooked, you got it right as the edge aligns with the base plate edge, and not with the top cap.
Thanks! I'll give this a whirl. Those first 2 shaves with the BOCS were glorious. Since then, not so much.

I found the first few times I used it I did have to seat it "by hand" but it quickly worked itself in and now it loads perfectly on it's own every time

Havent tried Sun Down, but much prefer the lather from Ck than PAA. It is more creamy and dense rather than the lather I get from PAA soaps. Their scents are amazing and well blended, so if it sounds like a scent you would like then go for it.

I had the shampoo bar. I loved the scent. I'm young enough I have no recollection of the original, but if the soap and aftershave smell the same as the shampoo bar I used, it's a winner.

I have the Lo Haiku Crown King soap. It is based on Hai Karate, and smells excellent. Sundown in on my Cart at PAA. When I order from them again, I will get it.

Anyone else find PAA to be overly powerful? I've never used aftershave that much, and when I do it's generally Proraso green. Lately I've been using it more and more and so I decided to start branching out. Of course B&B is the first place I came to for ideas on what to try. I wound up ordering 10 or so of the small samples from PAA. The first one I tried, Sangre de DRAGO, I shook out a litttle and rubbed it on my face just as I do the Proraso and nearly drove my wife and daughter out of the house. Wife said "God that's horrible!" I found it to be quite overwhelming myself. A couple days later I tried the same scent, but like a cologne - I only put a little bit on my neck and wrists. Wife loved it - "That's way better than the one you tried the other day!" Lol. Anyway, I see folks posting on here about putting these on their whole face (as an aftershave should be) and was wondering if anyone else found them to be that overwhelming? I like the scents so far, but will be using them very sparingly as a cologne.

B

Top Bottom