What's new

The Worst Blade?

VDH and their razors aren't much better. The first shave wasn't terrible with the VDH blade but the NEXT day it couldn't even remove the shadow on my face without causing EXTREME discomfort.

I actually get pretty decent shaves with Derbys and Sharks, even though they seem to be panned around here. However, I have a thin beard so that might be a factor.

On my first day of using, I thought the Merkur was pretty bad. But, I kept at it and got great shaves on day 2-7. Go figure.

Obviously nobody has tried the Van Der Hagen blades from walmart. Pure garbage. Its worse than those disposables they give out at motel rooms. They wont even cut through melted butter.

For me it's the Derby and Med Prep in an R41. I actually like both blades in different razors, but for some reason, when combined with the R41 they don't work at all for me.

Only in the game a while but the worst blade I've ever had the misfortune to use was the Muhle blade that came with my R89, it felt bad, performed worse and caused major irritation. Once as they say was enough.

I can't stand Bic or Astra SP.
On the flip side Derbys work well for me... Based on this thread I should try dorco
I really like the Dorco Prime Platinums. To me they feel like the 7 O'Clock Blacks, but retain their edge about one shave longer.

But this is a worst blade thread, so I nominate the Derby Extra. Granted, my experience with blades is limited, but out of the five I've tried so far, this is the one in last place. It's mediocre, even for a mediocre blade.

I am relatively new to shaving, but i have been fortunate enough to go through a couple of different brands. The worst experience so far has been the LORD PLATINUM CLASS. I am a head shaver as well, i completed two passes on my head, and when i got to my face the blade refused to cut. I had to replace it to finish my shave. Before that experience, Treet Silver was my previous worst, at least i could get a full session completed with those.

Derbys are the worst for me. Of course I haven't used every available blade out there, so there could still be worst out there.

I think that if Merkur put an average blade with their razors we would have twice as many wet shavers! Thank God I did not get discouraged when I used a Merkur blade for the first time. It was indescribable, and now that I know a lil something about the DE game and have tried a couple dozen different blades I do not think there is anything worse than Merkur (with the exception of an unmarked blade I found inside of a hospital). Obviously everyone's faces are different but I could not imagine shaving with a Merkur blade again, three times was enough.

I am convinced that whatever their value as blades, Merkurs are the worst-marketed.

To me, including a Merkur blade sample with razors recommended for new shavers is nearly suicidal.

They're going to be blamed for the poor first shave that new shavers often get. It took me nearly two years to try a Timor, which are rumored to be the same blade with different packaging. I like Timors, but am reluctant to ever try a Merkur again.

+50

I got a Merkur blade with the 34C HD I purchased recently. I put it aside as I knew I wanted to try it again after nearly 2 years of DE shaving. I had purchased 300 Astra SPs with the 34C and was happy to use those. Well, today being Sunday, I could spend some time stopping any severe bleeding if any occurred by using a Merkur so I popped that blade into the 34C.

Proper facial prep, Proraso Green brushed on thick and foamy. First pull and I felt that familiar pulling that I felt the first time I tried shaving with a DE (used the Merkur blade that came with my 33C "Classic") and stopped for a second to make sure the blade was in properly and straight. So proceeding, making sure my angle on the blade was as accurate and correct as I could, I proceeded through the first pass. It wasn't the most uncomfortable shave I've had: that falls upon Viet-made Dorco blades by a LONG shot. But rinsing the first pass, the cheeks and 'stache areas are quite smooth. Under the chin and along the neck was definitely in need of a second pass. Second lather and careful pass, it wasn't as pulling and left me with just a minor bit of final cleanup needed. Clean the brush of foam and slide that on my chin and the area where the neck transitions to "under-chin" and carefully clean up the last little bit.

A pretty danged good shave. It lacked in comfort, but the sharpness was definitely there. I will definitely leave the blade in for a second day. Merkur should absolutely work on that smoothness a little..even if it sacrifices the sharpness in a minor way. I think if I had a strop, I could have taken some of that away for the first shave and enjoyed the experience. As it was, not the most uncomfortable shave, but one of the closer shaves I've had. Irritation negligible (due to my improved technique) and no blood at all.

Would I order these in bulk? NO! But are they as bad as I thought from my first shave? Nope. I can name a few blades I've tried that irritated my skin more, let some blood and didn't even shave that close. But I WILL say that Merkur could improve the blades and would absolutely need to drop the price a LOT before they'd become recommended by many people. And including them as sample blades for new shavers IS marketing suicide. A newb will hate the shave, maybe stop DE shaving immediately and will long remember their negative Merkur experience.

Merkur blades: Not so terrible. But definitely not anywhere near recommendable. Unless it's to someone you would like to leave you alone.

For me it is easily Merkur blades. They're just awful in every way. Contrary to what a lot of guys feel, I actually like Derby blades. They aren't the sharpest blades, but they work pretty well for me.

Top Bottom