What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

The Mk1 Fatip cap was ~18mm wide and the Mk2 ~19mm wide. Recently there's been quite a lot of variance in the Mk2 cap widths, from ~19mm to ~19.6mm. I love my Mk1 and Mk2 Fatips but I've PIFd some more recent ones which went over the 19mm mark because it made them too mild with insufficient blade exposure (for me). I'm wondering if the Mk2 you used was one of the "wider than it should be" models, Frank.

It's easy enough to check. Even if you don't have a caliper, just sit the cap on a mm ruler to check its width.

What a ghastly idea (IMO) les24preludes! I've done lots of experimenting with handles and I always come back to my old beloved 14lb sledge hammer analogy. "The handle should be the correct length and width for maximum maneuverability, and light, so that the operators focus is on the head (where it needs to be)." The heavy handled DE razor makes me think of a 14lb sledge hammer with a 28lb handle... pretty damned unwieldy.

Here's a pic of my 2013 R41 and Fatip OC Mk2:
View attachment 949511

Both are sporting 75mm long acrylic handles (with nickel plated brass nut inserts). 70mm to 75mm is my preferred handle length, for maneuverability. Anything longer just gets in the way.

My R41 weighs 47.9g loaded (including its 15.6g handle). My Fatip weighs 47g loaded (including its 15.8g handle).

I consider shaving to be a precision job so there's no way I'll be slapping another plate onto my dumbbell/handle.

That's just my two cents, and opinion, you understand. Obviously your mileage varies. :wink2: [emoji23]
You're contending that a light handle is more maneuverable than one which balances at the grip point?? I have to say that makes no sense to me Cal. Head heavy razors like the Gillette New with Common Bar Handle drive me nuts and are the opposite of maneuverable. The Gibbs Reglable is massively improved by the mod which moves the balance point to the traditional grip point.

Last edited:
I’d love to do a head to head using the Claymore vs the RX. I have the RX so if you want to send the Claymore I’d be glad to do a Shave Off with the 2 of them.
Message me if you do.

Thanks and when I get home from work I want to read your shave offs

Thank you sir!
And thank you!
I’m in UK and to be quite honest I don’t want to risk posting my Claymore v2 since it would be very difficult to ever get a replacement...
... but please keep up the good work :)

You're contending that a light handle is more maneuverable than one which balances at the grip point??
I am. :001_smile
I have to say that makes no sense to me Cal.
It's good that we're all different, no?
Head heavy razors like the Gillette New with Common Bar Handle drive me nuts and are the opposite of maneuverable.
upload_2019-2-4_21-37-45.png

For me, just right. :001_smile :001_tt2:

@Dragonsbeard Sorry but with this crazy weekend I’m just reading your recent SE shave off and would like to add my slightly different opinions. I prefer efficient razors and shave daily. I find both the Paradigm SE and Asylum Rx using prolines easily daily shavers very similar to ATT Windsor H plate. The Titanium Paradigm SE is smoother than the Asylum Rx which is marginally more efficient but I would never compare it to the more efficient DEs out there like a iTech. The Asylum Tx is good and efficient but I need 2 passes and touch ups to be satisfied. As always variety is the spice of life and YMMV.

And I know some of you may disagree but a shimmed Vector (you need to use a grinder and wear eye protection) is quite efficient. Too bad that you can’t fit a shim into the Paradigm or Asylum Rx (really not enough height on the guard - yes I tried).

Best of luck AJ

UPDATE: Smoothest Shaver Shave Off razor list.

Hi all.. Like I mentioned in a few posts I'm planning a couple of new Shave Offs and this one's up next. I think this will not only be fun to see what razor is named the " Smoothest Razor " but I'm sure it will be informative as well with members posting their own personal experiences with the razors that are in each Shave Off. Of course as always the outcome or the results are just one man's opinion like all the previous Shave Offs and each member can form their own opinion. Overall I think like all the Shave Offs this can help people who are looking to add a smooth shaving razor to their den to get a little insight into what and how these razors compare. I will be using both modern and vintage razors in this competition.

Scoring: The razors that are going to be in this competition are all going to be DE razors to stay within the boundaries of this section and maybe at the end we can possibly bring in a few SE's in for a comparison. We'll see. The razors are predominantly going to be scored on " Overall Smoothness " and it will count for up to 60% of the total points scored. Yes efficiency will be mentioned and part of the scoring because if for example 2 razors turn out to be just as smooth as the other but one is more efficient then obviously that would be the winner but if a razor is more efficient by not anywhere near as smooth as the razor it's up against then it would probably lose to the smoother razor. Also if a razor exhibits a perfect balance of efficiency & smoothness it will make up to 10% of the total scoring points. Also remember points can be 0 points if a razor fails in a certain area.

Here's the scoring chart I came up with and PLEASE NOTE: I"m open to any suggestions as this Shave Off won't start for a couple of weeks so we can make changes if we have to.
1. Overall smoothness = up to 60% of the total scoring points
2. Blade feel = up to 10% of the total score
3. Balance of smoothness & efficiency = up to 10% of the total score
4. Face feel = up to 10% of the total score
5. Softness = up to 5% of the total score
6. No drag = up to 5 % of the total score

Razor contributions: As I can only use razor that are in my den I'm limited to only so many fine smooth razors that are out there. I've already gotten confirmation of a few razors from a few members and I will keep adding to this list below as they come in. So if you don't see a razor on the list and you have one and want to see it in this Shave Off please message me and we can talk about shipping it to me etc. I'd like to have them at least a week or so before I use them so we can talk that over in private messages rather than in posts so we don't clutter them up.

Rules for adjustables: All adjustables will be set on medium settings so for example if a Fatboy has 9 setting it will be set on the nearest to medium on the low side so if it's a clicker dial it would be set on 4.

Razors in the competition so far from my both den and some other members dens:
1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
10. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
11. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
12. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
13. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
14. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
15. Paradigm 17 4
16. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
17. Charcoal Goods Level 2
18. Gillette Fat handled Tech
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
20. Timeless .95 SB Titanium
21. Stahly

NOTE: Like I mentioned if anyone has any suggestions for razors that should be on the list please mention it as maybe a member will see your post and contribute that razor or if you have one that you'd like to see in this competition please pm me and we can make arrangements to get the razor into the Shave Off and not have it tied up for weeks.

Thank you all and looking forward to all your thoughts and suggestions!

DB

How can you have a Smoothest Shaver Shave Off without the Gibbs Adjustable?

Hi all.. Like I mentioned in a few posts I'm planning a couple of new Shave Offs and this one's up next. I think this will not only be fun to see what razor is named the " Smoothest Razor " but I'm sure it will be informative as well with members posting their own personal experiences with the razors that are in each Shave Off. Of course as always the outcome or the results are just one man's opinion like all the previous Shave Offs and each member can form their own opinion. Overall I think like all the Shave Offs this can help people who are looking to add a smooth shaving razor to their den to get a little insight into what and how these razors compare. I will be using both modern and vintage razors in this competition.

Scoring: The razors that are going to be in this competition are all going to be DE razors to stay within the boundaries of this section and maybe at the end we can possibly bring in a few SE's in for a comparison. We'll see. The razors are predominantly going to be scored on " Overall Smoothness " and it will count for up to 60% of the total points scored. Yes efficiency will be mentioned and part of the scoring because if for example 2 razors turn out to be just as smooth as the other but one is more efficient then obviously that would be the winner but if a razor is more efficient by not anywhere near as smooth as the razor it's up against then it would probably lose to the smoother razor. Also if a razor exhibits a perfect balance of efficiency & smoothness it will make up to 10% of the total scoring points. Also remember points can be 0 points if a razor fails in a certain area.

Here's the scoring chart I came up with and PLEASE NOTE: I"m open to any suggestions as this Shave Off won't start for a couple of weeks so we can make changes if we have to.

Razor contributions: As I can only use razor that are in my den I'm limited to only so many fine smooth razors that are out there. I've already gotten confirmation of a few razors from a few members and I will keep adding to this list below as they come in. So if you don't see a razor on the list and you have one and want to see it in this Shave Off please message me and we can talk about shipping it to me etc. I'd like to have them at least a week or so before I use them so we can talk that over in private messages rather than in posts so we don't clutter them up.

Rules for adjustables: All adjustables will be set on medium settings so for example if a Fatboy has 9 setting it will be set on the nearest to medium on the low side so if it's a clicker dial it would be set on 4.

1. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
15. Paradigm 17 4
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
21. Stahly

NOTE: Like I mentioned if anyone has any suggestions for razors that should be on the list please mention it as maybe a member will see your post and contribute that razor or if you have one that you'd like to see in this competition please pm me and we can make arrangements to get the razor into the Shave Off and not have it tied up for weeks.

DB

This sounds great! looking forward to it.

Couple comments.
1. The blade feel: some like it, some don't. Is a full score lots of feel or less. I'd consider defining this or removing as to each their own.
2. Rigidity and blade chatter? is this covered in the smoothness? I'm not a huge fan of chatter but can live with it if the shave is great.
3. The Timeless 0.68 I find more smooth than the 0.95, might want to consider adding it into the mix. Thoughts?
4. Rockwell 6S. People say it's smooth, I'm not a fan but should it be considered?

Thanks!

This sounds great! looking forward to it.

Couple comments.
1. The blade feel: some like it, some don't. Is a full score lots of feel or less. I'd consider defining this or removing as to each their own.
2. Rigidity and blade chatter? is this covered in the smoothness? I'm not a huge fan of chatter but can live with it if the shave is great.
3. The Timeless 0.68 I find more smooth than the 0.95, might want to consider adding it into the mix. Thoughts?
4. Rockwell 6S. People say it's smooth, I'm not a fan but should it be considered?

Thanks!

Very good points!

1. So true and blade feel is for some a positive and for some a negative so the more I think of it blade feel can be both a positive if is just the right amount and it can be a negative if there is so much that it affects the smoothness so I agree I should eliminated from the scoring list.

2. Well blade chatter is many times caused by using the wrong blade in the razor or sometimes you get a dud blade which can do cause it also. If a razor has blade chatter even when using a good blade then I'd have to deduct points so I think I'll add it to the score list with a 5% minus or plus but I'd imagine not to many razors will have this issue.

3. I unfortunately don't have a .68 baseplate and I wish I did as I'd add it to the list for sure. I will say this from experience the Timeless .95 SB in Titanium is very smooth so that's why I added it to the list. If someone contributes a .68 baseplate then I'll add it to the list.
4. I had a Rockwell 6c for a few months but I only used it a few times. It never had what I call " Mojo ' that I look for in a razor so I sold it not that long ago. Again if someone wants to see it in this smoothness Shave Off they can send one and I'll be glad to put it on the list.

Thank you for your feedback and input it's much appreciated my friend! :a14:

1. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
15. Paradigm 17 4
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
21. Stahly

DB
Please include the Edwin Jagger/Muhle DE 89, I find nothing shaves smoother, especially with a Derby Blade, Regular or Premium.

Good to hear the evaluation is going to begin. I am particularly interested in how the Red Tip Compares to the Fat Boy since the adjustable type followed the colored tipped Gillette's of the mid '50's

Last edited:
For those who want razors put in, they will need to private message @Dragonsbeard to arrange sending him the razor, we have put together the razors on the original list from our collection as we did with the previous shave off, but by no means do we have an all inclusive collection. I think the suggestions are good ones, however, Frank will need to get these razors from other members. Keep up the great work Frank, and this community for all the support.

Top Bottom