What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Great list but it seems vintage heavy. Are any more of the lower priced readily available moderns to be included ? I know there are pleanty to choose from but lots of members love their Rockwells or GameChangers and it would be interesting to see how “smooth” they are compared to those vintages.

Yes, I agree with others that this new “shave off” will grow and keep @Dragonsbeard busy well into next year unless he just calls it quit now and hand over the championship to his favorite now ... wink wink nudge nudge, say no more :angel:

Though the list you have right now will keep you busy and us entertained, I too think the list is very vintage heavy and don't see why so many Gillette's are on it. I mean is there really that much of a difference between a 46/47 Aristocrat and a 48/50 Aristocrat? There are 5 Aristocrats listed total, is there really a need for 5 of them? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this... If I had something that could be used here that wasn't listed I would send it without a thought but I'm down to 2 Timeless 95's as nothing does the job for me like they do so everything else had to go...

I agree Karve , Gamechanger, Mamba, and Rockwell would all be good to be in but I have gotten rid of all these razors as my taste has changed. From someone who has used most of these Aristocrats I would say there is a significant difference between 46-47 and the Brits.

UPDATE: Smoothest Shaver Shave Off razor list.

Hi all.. Like I mentioned in a few posts I'm planning a couple of new Shave Offs and this one's up next. I think this will not only be fun to see what razor is named the " Smoothest Razor " but I'm sure it will be informative as well with members posting their own personal experiences with the razors that are in each Shave Off. Of course as always the outcome or the results are just one man's opinion like all the previous Shave Offs and each member can form their own opinion. Overall I think like all the Shave Offs this can help people who are looking to add a smooth shaving razor to their den to get a little insight into what and how these razors compare. I will be using both modern and vintage razors in this competition.

Scoring: The razors that are going to be in this competition are all going to be DE razors to stay within the boundaries of this section and maybe at the end we can possibly bring in a few SE's in for a comparison. We'll see. The razors are predominantly going to be scored on " Overall Smoothness " and it will count for up to 60% of the total points scored. Yes efficiency will be mentioned and part of the scoring because if for example 2 razors turn out to be just as smooth as the other but one is more efficient then obviously that would be the winner but if a razor is more efficient by not anywhere near as smooth as the razor it's up against then it would probably lose to the smoother razor. Also if a razor exhibits a perfect balance of efficiency & smoothness it will make up to 10% of the total scoring points. Also remember points can be 0 points if a razor fails in a certain area.

Here's the scoring chart I came up with and PLEASE NOTE: I"m open to any suggestions as this Shave Off won't start for a couple of weeks so we can make changes if we have to.
1. Overall smoothness = up to 60% of the total scoring points
2. Blade feel = up to 10% of the total score
3. Balance of smoothness & efficiency = up to 10% of the total score
4. Face feel = up to 10% of the total score
5. Softness = up to 5% of the total score
6. No drag = up to 5 % of the total score

Razor contributions: As I can only use razor that are in my den I'm limited to only so many fine smooth razors that are out there. I've already gotten confirmation of a few razors from a few members and I will keep adding to this list below as they come in. So if you don't see a razor on the list and you have one and want to see it in this Shave Off please message me and we can talk about shipping it to me etc. I'd like to have them at least a week or so before I use them so we can talk that over in private messages rather than in posts so we don't clutter them up.

Rules for adjustables: All adjustables will be set on medium settings so for example if a Fatboy has 9 setting it will be set on the nearest to medium on the low side so if it's a clicker dial it would be set on 4.

Razors in the competition so far from my both den and some other members dens:
1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
10. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
11. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
12. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
13. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
14. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
15. Paradigm 17 4
16. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
17. Charcoal Goods Level 2
18. Gillette Fat handled Tech
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
20. Timeless .95 SB Titanium
21. Stahly

NOTE: Like I mentioned if anyone has any suggestions for razors that should be on the list please mention it as maybe a member will see your post and contribute that razor or if you have one that you'd like to see in this competition please pm me and we can make arrangements to get the razor into the Shave Off and not have it tied up for weeks.

Thank you all and looking forward to all your thoughts and suggestions!

DB

GREAT LIST!! Will follow this tournament closely! :a21:

My only question is single or double elimination??

Hello and welcome to the thread!

I would include it but I don’t have one in my den so hopefully a member will send one in to be added to the list.

Thank you for your sugg

That Shave Off is alrady on my list to do in the first couple of rounds.
I did use the Red Tip vs the Fatboy with the Fatboy wide open to 9 setting and while the Red Tip was smoother the Fatboy was more efficient so with the new rules for Adjustables we revisit that Shave Off for sure as smoothness is top priority.

"It isn't true, is it, Joe"

"On September 29, The New York Times reported that when Shoeless Joe Jackson left the grand jury room the previous day, “a crowd of small boys gathered round their idol and asked: ‘It isn’t true, is it, Joe?’ Shoeless Joe replied: ‘Yes, boys, I’m afraid it is.’ "
Say It Ain’t So, Joe! | AMERICAN HERITAGE

Thanks BigJ

I’m going to be shaving with 2 razors always and so one gets eliminated with each Shave Off.

Glad your followering!
:a14:

In other words, single elimination.

This is great unless you wish to establish a ranking list. For example, the best razor of say 8 beats the second best in the first round. That means that the #2 razor does not get to prove that it is better than the #7 razor (which beat the #8 razor) because of the luck of the draw. Some tournaments deal with this issue by allowing an entrant to lose more than once before they are done.

Because you are looking at ‘everyday’ shavers, the ranking may prove very important to folks.

Last edited:
Very good points!

1. So true and blade feel is for some a positive and for some a negative so the more I think of it blade feel can be both a positive if is just the right amount and it can be a negative if there is so much that it affects the smoothness so I agree I should eliminated from the scoring list.

2. Well blade chatter is many times caused by using the wrong blade in the razor or sometimes you get a dud blade which can do cause it also. If a razor has blade chatter even when using a good blade then I'd have to deduct points so I think I'll add it to the score list with a 5% minus or plus but I'd imagine not to many razors will have this issue.

3. I unfortunately don't have a .68 baseplate and I wish I did as I'd add it to the list for sure. I will say this from experience the Timeless .95 SB in Titanium is very smooth so that's why I added it to the list. If someone contributes a .68 baseplate then I'll add it to the list.
4. I had a Rockwell 6c for a few months but I only used it a few times. It never had what I call " Mojo ' that I look for in a razor so I sold it not that long ago. Again if someone wants to see it in this smoothness Shave Off they can send one and I'll be glad to put it on the list.

Thank you for your feedback and input it's much appreciated my friend! :a14:

Thanks for the response. I think this is going to be a great shave off.

I'd offer to send a 0.68 OC baseplate but not sure it's worth the $20-25 each way shipping from Canada. I suspect that the Ti Timeless 0.95 will be close enough and perhaps edge out the 0.68 in efficiency.

My personal list would include the RS-10. The aggressive reminds me a lot of the 17-4 and the mild is the smoothest razor I've ever experienced. The mild has zero blade feel for me, but is shockingly efficient. Not as efficient as more aggressive razors. The RS-10 isn't exactly affordable but is cheaper than a few on the list.

I know someone else mentioned the GameChanger. I have the 0.84 if you'd like to add it. I am confident it wouldn't win the shave off in my den, but I see the appeal to see how the affordable razor stacks up.

Noticed you only had the Wolfman 0.95 WR2 on the list. Is this from your experience that the WR2 is smoother than the WR1? I guess for smoothness the 0.95 gap may be good. May sacrifice on efficiency.

I know the Rocwell 6S was suggested as well. I choose the Karve Christopher Bradley over it. I find it extremely smooth over the original baseplates. The E and F plates are a little less smooth. But if people wish for affordable razors in the shave off, I'll ship it to you.

What about the BlackBird?

The last one I have that I would throw out as a recommendation is the iKon Open Comb Deluxe.

I welcome any input. Just let me know.

Wow BigJ

Now I’ve got to think this over! Originally I was going to have 2 categories. Vintage and Modern and eventually name the winner of each category and then have a final Shave Off between the 2 winners. Maybe I should start thinking about going back to that.

I’m glad that you and other members are making suggestions so when I start to actually do the Shave Offs I’ll be more organized. Any other thoughts please post them up!

Thank you my friend! :a14:

To continue a theme, for discussion only.

Think about the NCAA Basketball Tournament. The top four seeds are each distributed to different regions. Then in the first round, the top seed in each region plays the lowest seed in that region, etc. This is based on a lot of thought and statistical argument before the tournament starts. The idea is that if the pre-Tournament seeding is accurate, then the top teams should meet in the Final Four.

You might compare this to something like the World Cup ‘Football’ Tournament, where the rules are more complicated. Another example would be the Baseball Playoffs, which allow a good team to lose the first game or two, but still to prove themselves superior.

The idea is the same, to have the best teams get further in the tournament!

Single elimination with random pairings will establish a winner but you don’t lean much about the losers.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Should the same blade brand be used for all the shaves , If you are going to give out the title
of smoothest Razor . Some razors as you know give better shaves with certain blades over other razors with the same blade.. So how does one determine which blade is best for said razor over the other ?

How about the losers go into a separate round and get tried against each other in that path, getting a second chance. So if you have 16, after the first round, 8 go into the loser bracket and get tried against another from that bracket, and if they lose then they get eliminated.

Scott don’t you have the CG Level 3?
I find the blade is not rigid in it but for face shaving ( don’t shave my face ) it is not an issue and I find it more efficient than either 2013 R41 or Fatip. If you are looking for efficiency and a rigid blade aside from the obvious ones you already own a .94 WR1 would probably be an immediate love it razor for you. More efficient than the CG L3 and it holds the blade very rigid!

Message me!
I found the OC CGL3 more efficient than the SB version of the WR1 .94 but the Wolfman was smoother. I've not compared SB to SB or OC to OC. Both razors were borrowed. This experience had an impact. Ordered my own CGL3 in the SB variety, hoping to combine the best of both. It arrived today so will take it for a first run tomorrow. Hope it works out according to plan.

My personal list would include the RS-10. The aggressive reminds me a lot of the 17-4 and the mild is the smoothest razor I've ever experienced. The mild has zero blade feel for me, but is shockingly efficient. Not as efficient as more aggressive razors. The RS-10 isn't exactly affordable but is cheaper than a few on the list.

I know someone else mentioned the GameChanger. I have the 0.84 if you'd like to add it. I am confident it wouldn't win the shave off in my den, but I see the appeal to see how the affordable razor stacks up.

Noticed you only had the Wolfman 0.95 WR2 on the list. Is this from your experience that the WR2 is smoother than the WR1? I guess for smoothness the 0.95 gap may be good. May sacrifice on efficiency.

I know the Rocwell 6S was suggested as well. I choose the Karve Christopher Bradley over it. I find it extremely smooth over the original baseplates. The E and F plates are a little less smooth. But if people wish for affordable razors in the shave off, I'll ship it to you.

What about the BlackBird?

The last one I have that I would throw out as a recommendation is the iKon Open Comb Deluxe.

I welcome any input. Just let me know.

Hello my friend and sorry it's taken so long to respond but I've been swamped at work morning till night so I see all the posts but haven't had time to properly answer. I'm off work today so I've got the time.

So on the RS 10 I was actually planning on adding the more efficient plate and I'm waiting on confirmation on getting one for myself but I haven't been able to get a hold of Avi but if I don't get it I'll let you know.

I think I have a Gamechanger being sent to me so I'm good there But I'd take the Karve for sure as I'm missing that one for this Shave Off. Rockwell 6S is fairly smooth. I had one and the 6c both sold them both as they just lacked Mojo for me but if someone wants one of them in this I'm ok with it I just know it has no chance up against some other razors on the list. Blackbird with the SB could go up against the Paradigm 17 4 or the Charcoal Goods Level 2 I suppose. Oh and I'd love to try the Ikon Open Comb Deluxe as I know it was Ikons take on the New Deluxe which I have on the list and it would be interesting to see how close Ikon came to the real thing.

Ok the final question on the WR1 and WR2. I've done a couple of Shave Offs with both .61 DC vs the WR2 Standard gap and it was very clear the WR2 was definitely more efficient and smoother than the WR1 .61 DC. Now with that said things change as the gaps go up.

So yeah Jared whatever you want to send my way I'd be glad to add to the list.

Thank you so much for your generosity you are a big part of what makes this thread special my friend! :a14:

DB

Looks like this going to be a lot of fun for us and a lot of work for you. Thanks for all you do for this little comunaty.
Happy shaves
Jason

Should the same blade brand be used for all the shaves , If you are going to give out the title
of smoothest Razor . Some razors as you know give better shaves with certain blades over other razors with the same blade.. So how does one determine which blade is best for said razor over the other ?

Boy thats a tuff one to call and I agree with you that some blades work better in certain razors than in others and because this is about smoothness I can in some cases use blades that the owners suggest when they send me a razor out of their den. For example I just got a confirmation that a member is sending me his DJ 89 and he is also sending me some Derby Premiums which is his suggestion for that particular razor. Now for me it may be a different blade. Normally when I do these Shave Offs I use one blade pretty much most of the time. Either Feather, Polsilver, Kai or now and then an Astra.

So I'm not sure how to approach this other than I either pick a blade and just go with it or if it's a razor that a member is sending who is suggesting a blade go with that one. So it can get a little sticky.

Updated list of razor:

So this is where we are as of today.

Razors in the competition so far from my both den and some other members dens:
1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
10. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
11. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
12. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
13. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
14. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
15. Paradigm 17 4
16. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate and efficient plate
17. Charcoal Goods Level 2
18. Gillette Fat handled Tech
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
20. Timeless .95 SB Titanium
21. Stahly
22. RR Gamechanger with both baseplates.
23. Edwin Jagger DE89
24. Merkur 34C

NEED a Timeless .68 baseplate....Titanium if possible.
I've got a Karve D plate coming I just need the razor.

I'll keep updating till the list is finished.

Thanks all

Boy thats a tuff one to call and I agree with you that some blades work better in certain razors than in others and because this is about smoothness I can in some cases use blades that the owners suggest when they send me a razor out of their den. For example I just got a confirmation that a member is sending me his DJ 89 and he is also sending me some Derby Premiums which is his suggestion for that particular razor. Now for me it may be a different blade. Normally when I do these Shave Offs I use one blade pretty much most of the time. Either Feather, Polsilver, Kai or now and then an Astra.

So I'm not sure how to approach this other than I either pick a blade and just go with it or if it's a razor that a member is sending who is suggesting a blade go with that one. So it can get a little sticky.
I would think the blade choice should be up to you as it is your shave off, but would also suggest the same blade be used in every razor that you test. If its a Feather, it should be a Feather for all DE razors and so on...

Top Bottom