What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

I would think the blade choice should be up to you as it is your shave off, but would also suggest the same blade be used in every razor that you test. If its a Feather, it should be a Feather for all DE razors and so on...

Well that's what I normally do. I did Polsilvers in the original " US vs British Aristocrat Shave Off thread " because I wanted to be consistent throughout the Shave Off and with this one I have changed blades now and then but I always load both razors with the same blade. My thoughts are with you. For example I know that if I use one razor with a Feather and the other with a Astra and lets say both are very efficient razors there's a very good chance that the razor with the Feather is going to win just based on the blade in it. It also makes my life a little easier. LOL

Good post my friend! :a14:

Good suggestions @BigJ so I think I've come up with a plan. First I'll do is separate both the modern and the vintage into 2 categories. The more efficient ones that are known to be so whether modern or vintage will be placed in 1 categorie and then the rest in another. I'll focus on using the ones that are known to be less efficient first and get through them and then move that razor into the next category to compete with the other more efficient vintage and modern razors and then work my way through those. At the end we can have a championship round for the first place and also end up with a final ranking list.
How does that sound?

EXCELLENT!! :a29:

The point is to use information that we have already, rather like the NIH Basketball seeding.

Talking about Gibbs, my post office finally did their job and found Claudio's brass sleeves. Thank you @Clouds. They look great and I can't wait to use them.

Gibbs Brass sleeves.jpeg

Frank

Can I suggest one more that is in my opinion the smoothest of my razors?
A Mergress XL.

I own a Blackbird OC, Raw RS-10 with both plates and CG LvL2. My mergress is my smoothest. Not my most efficient but smoothest. Let me know if you would consider and I will lend it to the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated list of razors and some thoughts on setting them up:

So this is where we are as of today and we are almost finished.

Razors in the competition so far from my both den and some other members dens:
1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Gillette President
5. Gillette F4 Toggle
6. Gillette Fatboy
7. Gillette Slim
8. Fatip Grande
9. Gillette Red Tip
10. Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
11. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
12. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
13. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
14. Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
15. Paradigm 17 4
16. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate and efficient plate
17. Charcoal Goods Level 2
18. Gillette Fat handled Tech
19. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
20. Timeless .95 SB Titanium
21. Stahly
22. RR Gamechanger with both baseplates.
23. Edwin Jagger DE89
24. Merkur 34C
25. Karve with a variety of baseplates
26. Mergress adjustable.
27. RazoRock SLOC
28. RazoRock Mamba
29. Gibbs adjustable

NEEDED STILL: A Timeless .68 baseplate....Titanium if possible.

I'll keep updating till the list is finished.

Category suggestions: Here is something I put together but I'd like to hear from members on this. I'm thinking of splitting the razors in 2 or 3 categories. The categories can be set up however we want to so below are some suggestions and again I'd like feedback and suggestions from as many members as possible. Once we get this set up I can start the Shave Offs the next day.

1st category: All the adjustables - Let's compare them all and end up with the smoothest. One rule has to be a common right through this Shave Off. We can set up so that all the adjustables have to be set on their medium setting depending on their each individual number system. OR they all have to be set wide open and let's see which one maintains its smoothness OR the 3rd option is I start out on the highest setting for the 1st pass and then set it on the medium setting for the 2nd pass. WHAT DO YOU THINK?

2nd Category: Ok 2 ways we can do this category. One is take all the known to be very smooth razors and put them in what we can call the elite category ( price of razor means nothing ) and let them sit out until we go through all the rest of the razors that were not picked for the elite category. Then the winner of that category will move up into the elite category to take on those razors. The other was is pretty simple. All the vintage razors go together in one category and all the modern razors in another. Once we get through all the categories then those razors will have a go at it in the Championship rounds to see who wins the title of ' The smoothest razor " ...of course all this on based on how all these razors are on my face so results may be different for you.

Once we get this set up then I'll go over all the rules or maybe a better way of putting it is what I plan to use as far as blades, soaps etc throughout this Shave Off. Also I'll give a schedule together to explain how many Shave Offs I'll do in a week for example and some of the variables. One thing at a time first we got to arrange how we are going to set up the categories and then once set up we have to set up the first round match ups.

Like Mark just said a couple of posts ago. This Shave Off is going to be huge! The reality of what he said hit me this morning and although it's going to be a challenge I know I'll enjoy it and I hope all of you do to.

Great Shaves my friends!

DB

That is a great list of razors and it will take a while and be lots of fun to follow. I like the idea of 3 categories. I would vote to leave all the adjustable on middle setting. I also agree you should put the known very smooth aside and make the others prove they are smooth to have a chance at the title. I look forward to seeing some of the moderns vs vintage.
Happy shaves my friend
Jason

FWIW I have found the blade used can make a significant diference in how smooth a razor feels. A Feather in my R41 gives me the smoothest R41 shave, and a Derby Premium makes it a rough tuggy razor. The exact opposite is true in my Edwin Jagger DE89. Harsh and irritating with a feather, smooth as silk with a Derby. I don't know if it is practical for you to try several blades in each razor to see which one is smoothest for you and than compare that razor to another one? I can't think of any other way to find the "smoothest razor". I hope someone else has an idea to eliminate the 'blade effect'.

I think the idea to use different categories is great. Probably known smooth in the "winners bracket" and let the others compete to get there. The blade issue I think is best solved by using what is known to be smooth for the razor, or just pick your favorite blade and use for all. I don't think one blade gives each razor the best chance but may be the easiest plan. I think you had a good method with your shave offs in the past, so following the same plan for blades would work. We all know that everything is YMMV so it can be expected that different blades might give different results. There is no way to cover everything, but I think your methods work well and don't need to be changed much.

One thing I thought of is I can ask any member who is sending me a razor what blade does he think gives him the smoothest shave with that razor and all the rest of them that I know very well from my own den I can just go with what I know works best. This may be the best option.
I'm sure if you asked 10 different members that use the same razor you will get probably 6+ different answers so I'm not sure asking would be the best...
The only other thing I was thinking of is pick a mid level blade like a Astra and use it in every razor but the more I think about it the more I like the first option better.
With all the razors you've used I'm sure there is usually 1 particular blade that comes to mind that seemed to work in most every razor you have done a shave off with... I would assume with the experience you've gained since becoming a member, there is maybe 1 blade that "you" favor over most others and that most likely would be the one I would go with if it were me... That, I think, would give the most fair results.

I'm sure if you asked 10 different members that use the same razor you will get probably 6+ different answers so I'm not sure asking would be the best...

With all the razors you've used I'm sure there is usually 1 particular blade that comes to mind that seemed to work in most every razor you have done a shave off with... I would assume with the experience you've gained since becoming a member, there is maybe 1 blade that "you" favor over most others and that most likely would be the one I would go with if it were me... That, I think, would give the most fair results.

All good points and like I said about 80% of the razors in the Shave Off are mine and a couple are from my good friend Mark @Shavemd and he and I pretty much agree on the blades we use in the razors he's sending me. Also some of the razors that are being sent to me by other members I've used before like you mentioned. I've even owned a couple of them and since sold them so I'm good with picking out a blade to use in those. Really only one member was specific on me trying one razor with a blade I don't normally use and I'll give it a try but my thoughts on blades is basically yours. I'll pick out the blade I think will give me the smoothest shave in a razor ( not necessarily the most efficient ) in each razor. My main 4 blades I use almost exclusively are Feather, Polsilver, Kai and Astra. I do throw and different blade in a razor now and then just for a change but those 4 are my go to's in DE razors. So what your saying is where I'm at with picking out the right blade for the razor.
Thanks again for your thoughts. It's very much appreciated my friend! :thumbup1:

My main 4 blades I use almost exclusively are Feather, Polsilver, Kai and Astra. I do throw and different blade in a razor now and then just for a change but those 4 are my go to's in DE razors. So what your saying is where I'm at with picking out the right blade for the razor.
My suggestion would be to pick "a" razor from those 4 and use that brand in every razor for the shave off's... At least thats what I was trying to convey!!

The only problem with that is for example. With my Timeless is super smooth when I use a Kai and less if I use a Feather. With the Wolfman it's the exact opposite. The Feather is very noticeably smoother. Since I'm going for smoothness and not efficiency If I know for sure one blade is smoother in that razor I'll use that. Another noticeable difference is in my Charcoal Goods Astras are very smooth and not quite as smooth but more efficient is a Polsilver. Same goes for some of the Vintage razors. I'll figure it out and try to make things as fair as possible. That's all I can do is go with what I've experienced in the past or with my gut.
Thanks again for the input!
I certainly know what your getting at and from the onset I mentioned this would be tough for you to do subjectively and why I mentioned what I did. Like you with your Timeless, mine favors Shark SC's so I get it... It will be tough regardless of what you do. You still sure you want to do this?

Well, Frank, I think you should get a hundred pack blade sampler. Then you could use a Kai and run all the razors through a Shaveoff. Then an Astra. Then a Derby. Well, maybe you could skip the Derby. And so on. This Shaveoff could take decades!

UPDATE:
So I've separated the razors into 3 categories.

I'm planning on starting the Shave Off this coming weekend so I want to make sure all is in place for the 1st rounds. I thought to make it more interesting I'd start with either the category 1 which I'm calling " Adjustables " or the 2nd category I'm referring to as the " Contenders " and do a Shave Off with the 2 razors we pick for the first Shave Off. Then move to the to the other category and do a Shave Off with 2 of those and then back again to the other category. Eventually as razors get eliminated and we will be left with 2 razors from each category and then those 4 razors will be added to the what I'm calling the " Favorites " category which are the razors both modern and Vintage that have the reputation for being super smooth and that category will go last.

I'd like to put together the matchups so before I start this weekend so I'd like to hear some feedback and suggestions as to what razors go at it in the 1st rounds so tell me what you think. If you believe that some of the razors should be in different categories lets hear your thoughts and we can discuss it. I've done my best to put these razors in the proper categories based on either my own personal experiences shaving with them
( some from memory since it's been a while ) or from members who have sent them and have given me their opinions.

So Gentlemen I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this set up I've put together.

Category 1 - Adjustables:

1.Gillette F4 Toggle
2.Gillette Fatboy
3.Gillette Slim
4. Mergress adjustable.
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande
3. Gillette Red Tip
5. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
6. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
7. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
8. Charcoal Goods Level 2
9. RR Gamechanger with both baseplates.
10. Edwin Jagger DE89
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
2.Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
3.Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
4.Paradigm 17 4
5. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
7. Timeless .95 SB Titanium ( .68 plate will be used if we can get one )
8. Stahly
8. Karve with a variety of baseplates which I will use the milder E, C or D plate.
9. Gillette Fat handled Tech

At this point I'm not proud I STILL NEED a Timeless .68 baseplate....Titanium if possible.

Thanks all!

DB

Top Bottom