What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Shave Off Complete!

Paradigm 17 4 vs Timeless Titanium DC .95 using the SB side only.

I waited to report this Shave Off as I did a late night shave and the end results were so close shave wise that I wanted to give it at least 12 to 15 hrs before reporting so maybe I'd get a better read on the shave I got from both of them and I"m glad I did which I'll explain in this post. So first up is the Paradigm 17 4 which to me the first modern razor that defined what a almost perfect balance of both efficiency and smoothness in one razor is. The first time I used it I was very surprised by it as another friend had told me what he had experienced with it and I'm like ok I"ve got to get one as I was going back and forth because of the handle which again at the time I wasn't sure I'd like which btw I now very much enjoy. Anyway to me it was trendsetter that was followed by other razors that provided the same balance & smoothness that the 17 4 did and maybe even surpassed it ( I'll leave those comments till later on ) anyway the razor is built like a freaking tank! It even feels like a substanale razor in hand that could last 5 lifetimes. Fit and finish is very good and it has a different tone to it than many other high polished razors I have and I'm assuming it's the 17 4 steel that's responsible for that but I may be wrong. It's a great razor and I'll leave it at that. On to the high polished Timeless Titanium .95 DC. Was at the Maggard shave meet where Timeless first announced it and had a prototype to show and I was smitten immediately and knew I had to have one as I have been a fan of not only my SS Timeless .95 DC but the company, it's owners and the excellent quality service they provide. Weighing in at 74 grams on my scale it is lighter than the 17 4 which comes in at an even 100 grams I had no issues adjusting to either razor when in hand so that was not a factor at all in determining the outcome of this Shave Off. The Timeless fit and finish is also excellent and aside from a high polished Wolfman and maybe a RS 10 ( have to put the 3 of them side by side ) well it's very good so I'm sure you get the drift. I have to say also I've never put these two razors side by side in a Shave Off so going into this Shave Off I had no clue which one would preval and take this Shave Off. I know some members chimed in and predicted the 17 4 would emerge the winner but I said going into this Shave Off to stay focused and call it like it I saw it or should I say felt it. Anyway I used two brand new Polsilver blades, DG Bandwagon Shave Soap and aftershave splash and my Paladin two band badger shave brush.

Decided to do my normal WTG and ATG 2 pass shave on 2 days growth and of course using my SSSST and a nice hot shower for prep. Sectioned my face in the normal 4 sections to make things fair.

Gear used:

Timeless Titanium .95 DC
Paradigm 17 4 SS
Polsilver blades
DG Bandwagon Shave soap & aftershave
Paladin two band shave brush

1st pass WTG - I wanted to start out with the Paradigm on my right side face and give the Timeless my right side neck. Both difficult to shave but the right side neck is the worst with my nasty swirling cowlick and weird beard growth pattern on my neck from right under my ear all along my jawline and eventually meeting up with my cowlick which is just right of my Adams apple. With Paradigm in hand I began my N to S pass and decided to stick to my normal 3 movement short buffing like stroke to get the most out of these two razors with a good skin stretch about 2 inches behind the razor head. Well the Paradigm and Polsilver went to work immediately taking down my growth and my beard offered no resistance to this combo as it took it down with some blade feel and audible feedback was very soft. The razor has its own unique feel to it and really doesn't have any noticeable shaving flaws in my opinion. No issues getting under my nose or around my mouth and my kind of difficult to shave chin didn't offer a whole lot of resistance but after passing over it I knew by feel than there was some stubble left to deal with on the next pass even though it had taken a good amount off on this pass. So an excellent pass from the Paradigm! Continuing downward on my neck with the Timeless the first thing you feel is the weight difference and your first instinct is to apply some pressure but it is not needed as the razor is plenty efficient to take down 2 days growth without using any. What was surprising was the Timeless was even quieter and had less blade feel than the Paradigm which really surprised me! Again remember I only used the SB side but I did at that moment turn the razor around and took two strokes just to compare the SB side to the OC side and there was a noticeable although subtle difference between the OC and SB but not as much as I've noticed the difference in the SS model. Just thought I'd throw that info in. Anyway this razor is very nimble and I feel like I'm driving a sports car around a track. A J hook with this razor is so easy to do and feels so natural I couldn't resist doing two on my cowlick. Wonderful! The pass went quickly even using the short strokes I almost felt like I hit the fast forward button on my TV. So an excellent pass from the Timeless Ti. With it in hand I went directly over to my left side and started my N to S pass right under my sideburn and like the 17 4 the stubble offered no resistance and was quickly taken down. Even though the head on the Timeless is got a higher profile I had no issues whatsoever getting under my nose and around my mouth the razor excelled. Very smooth take down on my chin whiskers and I was done with this section of my face and once again another excellent pass from the Ti. Picked up the 17 4 and with my much more predictable growth on my left side this pass was not long lasting and the Paradigm displayed it's balance of efficiency & Smoothness on this section and it was over in no time with excellent results. I did a quick rinse after finishing the WTG pass and relathered and btw the DG soap offered some nice slickness and I felt it also had enough residual slickness that if I had wanted to do a Reverse Skin Stretch on the last pass it would have been no problem and a note on the scent. When I first got it I wasn't sure if I liked it and was thinking of selling it but didn't and over time it has grown on me and I can say I like it. So I lathered up my face again ready for the ATG pass.

2nd Pass ATG - With the Timeless in hand at the base of my neck I gave my skin a good stretch and started my journey North and on this pass if there were any stubble left over from the first pass the TI was having not going to let them see any daylight as it sent them down below my skin level and I could feel them disappear. Another very quick excellent pass with this nimble razor and I'm in a grove and didn't want to lose it so picked up the 17 4 and continued upward and this razor was taking no prisoners either sending my stubble to their temporary grave. When I got to my mouth and under my lips I slowed down a bit as the weight of the razor came into play a tiny bit and I found it not as nimble around my mouth or under my nose as the Timeless on the ATG pass but had no problem with my chin. So a very good pass. With it in hand I headed over to the base of my neck on my left side and started my S to N pass and this pass was maybe the best for the Paradigm as it just scooted through the remaining stubble like it wasn't there! So an excellent pass for the 17 4! Grabbed the Ti and started up my face with a good skin stretch and wowser this razor just seems overall better than my SS .95 in every way. Can't explain it but smoother, more nimble and equal in efficiency. I think Timeless hit a winner with this razor. I loved the way it was on this ATG pass not only on my face but I didn't feel the need to slow down one bit under my nose or around my mouth and I just for the heck of it took a stroke or two right onto the top of my lips right from my chin going upward I had so much confidence in this razor. So another excellent pass from the Timeless Ti and this Shave Off is in the books.

Post Shave summary:

Ok I put this in because after the Shave Off with these two I did a face feel with my hands and also backed it up with a cotton pad and you guessed it.. dead even on beard reduction so I'm like I better wait at least 12 hrs as they both gave me a very solid level 2 BBS before using the scoring system. Ok as I'm writing this it's been over 24 hrs and I'm not only glad I waited to report this Shave Off but I've got a clear winner here using the scoring system.

Scoring system:

Paradigm 17 4

1. Smoothness = 56 points
2. Efficiency = 15 points
3. Balance = 4 points
4. Maneuverability = 4 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

Timeless Titanium .95 DC

1. Smoothness = 56 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 15 points
3. Balance = 4 points
4. Maneuverability = 5 points.
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 85 points

So an upset happened based on some of the predictions by some of the members and I can assure you I have no bias in this Shave Off nor did I have any pre - perception of who I felt would take this one as like I mentioned I've never done a side by side with these two razors before. The Paradigm set the standard for a razor that offered both efficiency & smoothness and the Timeless matched it in efficiency and surpassed it slightly in smoothness and also was more nimble with a tad bit better balance which gave it a better score and I'd say this razor is a serious contender for the finial 4 and the overall champion. Don't get me wrong the Paradigm is an awesome razor and I have a lot of respect for it and you could not go wrong adding one to your collection but they are somewhat hard to get your hands on and command about $400 to $500 on the secondary market. The Timeless is easily obtained and offers a 30 day trial period and less expensive so take all that into consideration when choosing.

With that said I would recommend either razor in a NY heartbeat! Some of you may have had different results using these 2 razors but I can only give you my opinion on every razor I shave with and every Shave Off I do when comparing and doing a review.

Great Shaves my friends!

View attachment 1035174
Not surprised with the results. The timeless is only one of 3 DE's I own because it's THAT good.
Great write-up Frank!

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE:

Current List of of razors left in the " Smoothest Razor " Shave Off

So there are 6 Razors left and only two that haven't completed this round and those are the Gillette President and the Gillette 1st Gen British Aristocrat so these two will meet up in the last Shave Off in this round and then we will move into the next round where all the names get put back in the hat and we will start all over again! I have a feeling the next round will go fast and then we will be moving into the semi final round and then the Championship final Shave Off to determine the winner!

1. Gillette RFB

2. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
3. Gillette President
4. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
5. Gibbs adjustable

6.Timeless Titanium .95 DC SB side

So here's the Challenge and a special prize for a member:

You have to pick the final 3 razors that will go into the semi finals and also pick the two razors that will meet in the Shave Off that will be for the championship and you have to pick which razor wins the " Smoothest Razor " title. For those that do get everything right your names will be put into a hat and and I'm going to bring the hat to my workplace and have a coworker pick a name out of the hat as I don't want to be the one to do it. The person whose name gets picked out of the hat will get a brand new never used Gillette Heritage
DE razor that was just released and shown in the photos below along with another special seacret prize that will come in the mail along with the razor. So start getting your predictions in and I will enter them on to the list and write them all on a slip of paper, then fold them and put them in the hat. We will announce the winner at the end of the final Shave Off after we've crowned the winning razor. This should make for a fun time and I can't wait to see the predictions come in.

E135EAAD-C1FA-45E5-BD55-DB4BA59D0961.jpeg

81ABF0FB-7162-4BE6-AD5D-66F31BF82D2E.jpeg

695BBF0F-C9EA-4393-8A9A-A2C12003500D.jpeg

Last edited:
Tough Competition!!

Here are my choices:

pick the final 3 razors that will go into the semi finals

RFB
Gibbs
Timeless

pick the two razors that will meet in the Shave Off that will be for the championship

RFB
Timeless

pick which razor wins the " Smoothest Razor " title

RFB

Go RFB!! :a45: :a45:

@Dragonsbeard Well Frank with the 17-4 getting eliminated you blew up my bracket. Is the fix in :001_tt2: ? I want a recount :mad3: but until then I’ll have to rethink a new set although I still believe the RS10 will be the overall champion.

Regarding my recent made-to-order WR2 Ti 145 it is very efficient and smooth resulting in an easy non irritating 2 pass BBS. There are smoother razors but not many as efficient. I’m not sure where it fits apart from putting it in the same group with Charcoal Goods L3, Timeless Ti95 (less efficient) or Paradigm Ti (smoother) as a rough approximation.

That's a great write up for the Paradigm vs Timeless. Bit shocked based on what I've read about the Paradigm.

This is a great little fun competition :) Here are my guesses:

Top three in the semis: Gillette RFB, RS 10, Timeless Ti
Finals: RS 10 vs Timeless Ti
Winner: Timeless Ti

Ohh this is interesting, having never used a 17-4 I’ve heard nothing but praise. Chasing the best razor is probably why we all have so many. Given that you’re also looking for efficiency with smoothness.
Semis
Gibbs
Aristocrat
Timeless
Final
Gibbs
Timeless
Winner
Timeless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so here’s the next Shave Off competitors

Gillette 1st Gen British Aristocrat OC vs Gillette President.

I’ll be using them in tomorrow mornings Shave Off

790E07FB-9AA1-4090-9DFF-907B4C1751A2.jpeg

FINALISTS
RS10
Gibbs
Timeless Ti :a21:

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
RS10 vs Timeless Ti :a45:

CHAMPION
RS10 :thumbup1:

Yes I am still bummed out the 17-4 was eliminated :cursing:

UPDATE: Shave Off Complete

Gillette President vs 1st Gen British Aristocrat OC

This was a very good one and I'll report on it later on tonight as I want to let it marinate for a while and see if my regrowth tells me anything beyond what I already observed.

Great Shaves and thanks Gents

:a21: :a21: :a21:

Last edited by a moderator:
Shave Off report:

Gillette President vs 1st Gen British Aristocrat OC

Well this was another excellent Shave Off. So much so I wanted to wait to see if I had a revelation or a strong sign that one of these 2 fine razors dominated the other in this latest Shave Off and honestly at this point I see these Shave Offs being so close that sometimes I'm going to have to really take my time reporting on the results but I doubt it as all the remaining razors are great shavers.. In this case two vintage razors that are both in excellent working order which like I've explained really does make a difference with a 60 plus year old razor. The President came to me via a purchase I made on a international site and I remember when I got it I showed it to Chris aka Captain Murphy as he has done a bunch of razors for me over the years and I his words upon seeing it were get a shrink wrap and just put it away it's perfect. Well I did put it away as I had another that I'd call in mint condition that Cap went over and made sure it was clean inside and out and also checked the alignment etc and I used that for a few years while this one sit in its case until I decided to cut my collection down by a good amount so this one has been used a few time now and it's a pleasure to shave with. The 1st Gen British Aristocrat came to me in pretty much the same fashion and it did go out to Cap along with about 5 other Aristocrats, a Toggle and my Fatboy for a tune up and Cap told me this razor needed nothing as it was like in brand new conditon so I got lucky on these two razors and honestly I don't see myself sending these two to another home. In fact after doing this Shave Off I had to ask myself do I need as many modern razors as I have when some of my vintage razors give as good and in many cases an even better total shaving experience.. as I've stated before, there are some razors that just have what I call " Mojo " and these two razors have a lot of it. I mean do I have razors that are more efficient? Yes I do but these two gave me a 2 pass BBS Shave and a wonderful total shave experience so what more can you ask for! Example I enjoyed shaving with the RR Gamechanger .84 when I had it for a brief time but for me it was just lacking the " Mojo " same with the Karve. Good razor but no great shave experience with that one either so razors that have that special something I'm keeping and any that don't I'll need to find a new home for. Lately I'm being much more selective on any new razors I bring into my den. Anyway enough on that subject and on to this Shave Off.

Weight and balance on both these razors are similar and both in my opinion excel in both areas not to mention how maneuverable they both are. The handle on the 1st Gen Brit is my absolute favorite barberpole handle of any out there past or present and I was talking to a razor maker recently and expressed that to him when he asked me what my favorite handle was and I " Hint, Hint " said it would be nice if someone made one just like it that could be put on just about any razor and also mentioned how good one would look on his razors.

I decided to use my once used Polsilver blades in both the razors and for a shave soap I woke up wanting to use my MDC Vetiver and pair it with a recent purchase from a friend of Creed Original Vetiver cologne as my stash of the scent was running low. MDC is a soap manufacture that I highly respect and absolutely one of my favorites as they are a family own business with many, many years of soap making experience and I've talked to them on two occasions and what a nice family they are. The formula is a simple one if you look at the ingredients but it's a triple milled soap that gets cured for 6 months! Yep 6 months and that along with years of experience on making a perfect blend of simple ingredients produces a great shave soap. In fact my friend Will over at B&M said it best..many have tried to copy it and all have failed and I'd say he's spot on in his analysis and I'll leave it at that. Creed's version of Vetiver has been criticized as not being a true Vetiver and guess what that's what I like about it. Oh yes it's certainly got Vetiver in it but comparing it to the more traditional Vetiver colognes out their like Guerlain which I'm not fond of it works for me and also works well with the MDC Vetiver and my Saponificio Varesino Felce Aromatica which is a Fern scent. Used my combo Wolf Whiskers/ Maggard HD knot shave brush and for me it's a very good shave brush.

Decided to just stick to my formula of doing a two pass shave going WTG and ATG for this entire " Smoothest Razor
" Shave Off to keep things consistent. Technique was my usual SSSST but I threw in some X pattern strokes on my cheeks and neck for this one and I've been using it more and more lately as I really like the results I'm getting using it.

Gear used:

Gillette President
1st Gen British Aristocrat OC
Once used Polsilver blades
MDC Vetiver Shave soap

Creed Original Vetiver Cologne
Wolf Whiskers handle & Maggard HD knot Shaving brush

1st Pass WTG - I started my N to S pass using the President on my 2 day growth and from the first couple of strokes it was confirmed on what a smooth shaver yet stealthy efficient razor this is and I like the combo of Polsilver and President. This razor excelled around my mouth and especially when I was basically touching my lips. On my chin it also did a good job of taking down a decent amount of beard growth but I knew after the pass in that area I had more work to do and would give my skin an even more aggressive stretch in that area on the ATG pass. Finished the pass and in terms of smoothness it's excellent. In terms of efficiency it needs a good technique, a sharp blade and a lot of skin stretching to bring it up to it' maximum performance potential and I believe we achieved that in this shave. I'll say it now. If your a daily shaver this razor would be a good one to add to your den. I picked up the 1st Gen Brit to continue my journey down my neck on my more difficult right side and within a stroke or two it's apparent that this razor is another level up in efficiency and maybe two as it moved through my growth like it was on a mission. There is a bit more blade feel than the President has and the audible feedback is also a bit louder but make no mistake it's still a smooth shaver or it wouldn't be in this competition. I was thinking Paradigm 17 4 balance of smoothness & efficiency in this rather hard to find razor. Using the X pattern on my neck with a hardy skin stretch I finished up this pass quickly and it was an awesome pass and if I were just going to work I could have stopped there as I was at a solid DFS after this pass. So over to the other side on my face and the N to S pass and yeah confirmed this razor is probably one of the best shaving vintage razors I've ever shaved with. It's that good! I slowed down just a bit around my mouth as I didn't feel like getting cocky like I did with the President where I pretty much shaved on the edges of my lips..one test I use to measure smoothness. This razor just needs a slight touch more focus on that area but is more than capable of doing what the President does so easily just gotta slow down a bit. So finished the pass and again a solid DFS result and there were a coupe spots that may have even been close to a BBS like on my upper cheeks where the hair is both finer and thinner. Last WTG pass with the President on my left side neck and again pretty similar results. Very smooth with just a tad of stubble left in some areas that I'm sure it will clean up on the ATG pass. A quick excellent pass! I rinsed my face and lathered up again for the ATG pass which I was really looking forward to.

2nd Pass ATG - I go to the base of my neck on my right side with the 1st Gen Brit and start heading North but before I do I give my skin an aggressive stretch cause I'm going for the closest shave I can get in 2 passes from these two razors and the #15 didn't disappoint but rather excelled as it sent any remaining stubble underneath my skin and I could tell from experience that this was happening. My nasty cowlick surrendered to this razor as I again used the X pattern and it was like I was wiping off what little stubble was left from the WTG pass. This was an excellent pass for the Brit! Continuing upward with the President again I got aggressive with my SSSST and shorted up my strokes with the buffing type 3 movement strokes and I was in a rhythm on this pass and this razor was working hard but excellently for me on this pass. So smooth with blade feel being noticeably down from the first pass and once again I felt like I could do no wrong that would lead to a weeper or nick. Back around my lips under my nose was non stop ATG strokes all around my mouth ( well half my mouth ) the MDC soap was giving me the residual slickness I require for these type of strokes and skin stretching so it gets a plus for that. This was the best pass for the President as it cleaned up any remaining stubble like a champ! With it still in hand I headed to the base of my neck over on my left side and began my S to N ATG pass and I just repeated what I was doing on my face in the last pass only I used the same X pattern as I did with the Brit on the other side and the President with little blade feel and I could also feel my stubble take a dive under my skins surface on this pass. So another excellent pass from the Pres! Ok onto the last pass of this Shave Off with the #15 British Crat and what can I say other than any remaining stubble was quickly took a dive under my skins surface! I again slowed down around my lips but removed any stubble in those areas without any issues whatsoever. It just takes a little more focus. Finished the pass and I know it gets boring saying it but just another excellent pass from the Brit!

Post Shave:

I rinsed my face with warm then cold water and splashed on some Thayers unscented Witch hazel out of the fridge and proceeded to clean up these two beauties while it dried. After that I gave my face a good feel with my hands and wow I had myself a complete BBS shave in all areas. I pulled out the cotton ball and made a pad out of it and checked all areas and yep a level 2 BBS in only 2 passes! Again what more could you ask for. I'm honestly not sure this level of shave could be achieved with my beard type in 2 passes if I were to use a more traditional long stroke no skin stretch, no pressure technique. Maybe in 3 passes with the #15 but I'll say it I believe the technique makes all the difference in the world in getting the absolute most performance out of these two razors and in fact any razor I can think of. I get more and more very positive feedback from people now using the technique or a form of it saying it's made a big difference in their shaves which makes me happy and thankful I stumbled on that video of the old Italian barber using a STR8 razor on a customer that inspired me to develop the SSSST. I still watch that video at least once a month as I also marvel at his lather building technique. A true master barber.

So after letting the results of this Shave Off marinate for 24 hrs I knew I had to go to the scoring system to find out who the winner was as the #15 Brit got me a little bit longer lasting BBS shave while the President was a bit smoother in achieving the same BBS initially but not lasting as long. So if there were such a thing as a tie in this Shave Off this may have been one without the scoring system which thankfully was put in place to break any tiebreakers so the Shave Off doesn't have to be repeated.

Scoring system:

Gillette President

1. Smoothness = 56 1/2 points
2. Efficiency = 13 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 5 points
5. Glide = 4 1/2 points

Total score = 83 1/2 points

1st Gen British Aristocrat OC

1. Smoothness = 55 points
2. Efficiency = 14 points
3. Balance = 5 points
4. Maneuverability = 5 points.
5. Glide = 4 points

Total score = 83 points

So we have a winner by a hair! The President took this one only by me using the scoring system. If this were an efficiency Shave Off the roles would be reversed. This Shave Off was one of the closest since starting this Shave Off and I have a feeling it's going to be the norm from here on end to the final Showdown for the Championship.

Thanks all and Great Shaves!

DB

fullsizeoutput_302c.jpeg

UPDATE: list of razors left in the Smoothest Razor Shave Off.

This would be a good tine to make any changes to your already posted predictions or if you haven’t posted up your predictions yet. To be eligible to win the prizes please read the challenge below

1. Gillette RFB
2. Gillette President
3. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
4. Gibbs adjustable
5. Timeless Titanium .95

Challenge:

So here's the Challenge and a special prize for a member:

You have to pick the final 3 razors that will go into the semi finals and also pick the two razors that will meet in the Shave Off that will be for the championship. have to pick which razor wins the " Smoothest Razor " title. For those that do get everything right your names will be put into a hat and and I'm going to bring the hat to my workplace and have a coworker pick a name out of the hat as I don't want to be the one to do it. The person whose name gets picked out of the hat will get a brand new never used Gillette HeritageDE razor that was just released and shown in the photos below along with another special seacret prize that will come in the mail along with the razor. So start getting your predictions in and I will enter them on to the list and write them all on a slip of paper, then fold them and put them in the hat. We will announce the winner at the end of the final Shave Off after we've crowned the winning razor. This should make for a fun time and I can't wait to see the predictions come in.

NOTICE:

If no one gets all 3 picks correctly then we will go to the next group of people who got 2 out of 3 and enter there names for the drawing. If no one gets 2 picks correctly then we will take the names of those that picked the winner and draw from the names and announce the final winner!
Like I mentioned above if you’ve already picked your favorites for the final 3 and you’d like to change them consider changing your picks now. If you haven’t made predictions for the final 3, 2 and the winner now would be a good time to get them in.

Here’s the prize and there’s also a secret surprise as well that will be shipped with the new Gillette Heritage DE razor.

E14503BE-3E35-4CEF-A519-08A74309E772.jpeg

Good luck everyone!

Top Bottom