What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

Hey Frank I see you used the Gibbs with its original short stubby plastic handle but I know you have a longer custom brass extension handle. If you used the Tibam handle on the RFB then why not use the custom Gibbs brass extension ? IMO the brass extension handle balances the Gibbs which allows an even better shave. Might as well enhance all the contenders.

Hey AJ - I'm with you on that but I would be more inclined to use a Standard Length brass handle.
It can take the Balance from a 4 to a 5. It is going to need it when it competes against the RS10 or the Timeless!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope we all realize how blessed we are and I am thankful to God for sending his Son to die for my sins so I don't have to go to hell.
Thank you LORD.
Happy shaves
Jason

I'm thinking if it hasn't been used in any of the shave off's to date it wouldn't be right to change it up for the next one, would it?

I don't see why not. Just look at any sport, its done all the time.
It would also mean that you can't change the setting on any adjustable razor, and that is not what adjustable razors are about.

I don't see why not. Just look at any sport, its done all the time.
It would also mean that you can't change the setting on any adjustable razor, and that is not what adjustable razors are about.

Hi @Clouds / Claudio

I see your point and @muzichead as I did change the adjustment on the Gibbs in this last Shave Off. With that said I understand changing the physical aspect of the razor that may give it an advantage especially when we are down to the final 4 like we are. Trying to compare an adjustable to a 3 piece razor like in the last Shave Off is not easy and in that case I had to keep turning the Gibbs down as it was noticeably more efficient on setting # 5 than the RFB and I did it to keep it kind of close so that the Gibbs would not dominate in efficiency and get a maximum score in the actual final scoring system. The Shave Off is much more about smoothness so it represents a much bigger percentage of the final score but it is followed by efficiency so it can affect the score enough to turn the tide the razor that's more efficient if both razors are very close in smoothness. So a difficult choice on my part and that's why I consulted a couple of members to get their opinion on which setting I would use vs the RFB to try and make things as fair as possible. I see your point in the fact I don't see the handle having anything to do with how smooth the razor is but when I weighted everything up I decided to just keep everything as it is for the rest of the Shave Off. Plus I'm very comfortable using the stock handle so I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other for this Shave Off. I just picked the next two contestants which I'll post below and so that leaves the Gibbs to face the only other razor in the hat and that's the Timeless Ti .95 SB so now I have to give thought as to what setting to use on the Gibbs again. I've thought about it and since this Shave Off began and looking back I've used setting 4.5 on every Shave Off with the exception of this last one where I started with setting #5 then went down to # 4.5 and eventually down to setting #4 so I want to avoid having to do that again. So I'm going to keep things consistent in the next rounds. If this were an efficiency Shave Off I'd have the Gibbs on max setting all the way through until it either won or lost out to another razor and was eliminated. I have the same delmia with the RS 10 when if it has to go up against the Gibbs or the Timeless as I stated in the beginning that the RS 10 was signed up with the Mild plate and I know from using it that as far as efficiency goes it is not as efficient at either the Timeless .95 or the Gibbs and would compete much better in that area with the aggressive plate on ( hate that name LOL ) and not get a lopsided score in efficiency even though I know it's butter smooth with the mild plate on and would be able to compete with any razor in that area. So maybe I made a mistake at the beginning of the Shave Off by not allowing razor that are adjustable or have more than one baseplate to be able to change settings or baseplates to be able to compete with another razor that is more efficient by a noticeable amount before a Shave Off even begins to keep things fair. An in this final 4 I have a diversity in efficiency from the less efficient President up to the Gibbs and Timeless.

The only saving grace here is I'm doing these next Shave Offs on no more than 36 hrs growth and I know from experience that any of the 4 remaining razors are capable of giving me a great 2 pass shave with 36 hrs growth. This way I can stay laser focused on " Smoothness " which is what is most important in this particular Shave Off.

I've got an idea for the next Shave Off which will be totally about Efficiency & Smoothness but more about that after this one is finished.

Thank both of you for your input it is very much appreciated! I'm only one man and I've got to make some hard decisions sometimes that others may not always agree with which I totally understand but all I can do is my best to try to keep things as fair as possible.

Take care and great shaves!

:thumbup1:

So thank you for bringing that to my attention! :thumbup1:
:thumbup:
I just picked the next two contestants which I'll post below and so that leaves the Gibbs to face the only other razor in the hat and that's the Timeless Ti .95 SB so now I have to give thought as to what setting to use on the Gibbs again.
So does this mean the other shave off will be the President against the RS-10? Those should've been in the hat as well...

Another chance!! (Like getting the ‘wild card’ in the NFL!!)

My picks:
Final 3: President, Timeless, RS 10
Final 2: President, Timeless
Winner: Timeless!!

Thanks for the second chance!! :ouch1::ouch1::ouch1:

Wild card picks:

Final Three:
1. Gibbs Adjustable
2. Timeless Ti DC
3. Raw Shaving RS 10

Death Match:

1. Timeless
2. RS RS 10

Winner:
RS RS 10

I’m still in with my original picks

Finals: Gibbs, Timeless, RS10
Championship: Timeless vs RS10
Sexy Smoothest: RS10

And yes I’m still bummed out about the 17-4 getting eliminated but that’s what makes these posts so interesting

Top Bottom