What's new

The World Shave Off Showdown

OMG I'm just confused :001_07: with the number of razors especially in these odd number brackets of 5, 15 & 9. I am use to sports brackets like 4, 8, 16. Even a single elimination competition will be challenging. It seems more balanced with the vintages vs moderns at this point.

FWIW have all adjustables anything goes from the shaver's standpoint and if you are not familiar with that razor let the owner tell you what works best for them regarding smoothness. I'd same the same thing for what blade you use as in use the blade you are most familiar with to achieve a smooth result or get the owner's views - just make sure we know the whys which I am sure you will.

I guess out March Madness :a11: starts in February :a14:

Best of luck AJ

Thanks for clearing that up my friend! I'd imagine it would be smoother. Maybe not as efficient as the .70 but this Shave Off is all about smoothness and if it combines efficiency then that's good for extra points.
As typical of mild razors of this configuration maximizing efficiency requires more attention to angle and pressure than razors with more gap and/or exposure. I find this is even more the case with the Mamba than most.

UPDATE:

So I've separated the razors into 3 categories.

I'm planning on starting the Shave Off this coming weekend so I want to make sure all is in place for the 1st rounds. I thought to make it more interesting I'd start with either the category 1 which I'm calling " Adjustables " or the 2nd category which I'm referring to as the "Contenders " and do a Shave Off with the 2 razors we pick out for the first Shave Off. Then move to the to the other category and do a Shave Off with 2 of those razors and then back again to the other category and keep going that way until we finish the 2 categories. Eventually as the razors get eliminated we will be left with 2 razors from each category and then those 4 razors will be added to the what I'm calling the " Favorites " category which are the razors both modern and Vintage that have the reputation for being super smooth and that category will go last.

I'd like to put together the matchups before I start the Shave off this weekend. I'd like to hear some feedback and suggestions as to what category and which 2 razors go with for 1st round so let me know what your pick. If you believe that some of the razors should be in different categories lets hear your thoughts and we can discuss it. I've done my best to put these razors in the proper categories based on either my own personal experiences shaving with them ( some from memory since it's been a while ) or from members who have sent them to me for this Shave Off and have given me their opinions.

So Gentlemen I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this set up I've put together.

Category 1 - Adjustables:

1.Gillette F4 Toggle
2.Gillette Fatboy
3.Gillette Slim
4. Mergress adjustable.
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC
2. Gillette New Deluxe Big Boy
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande
3. Gillette Red Tip
5. Gillette 46/47 Aristocrat
6. Gillette 1st Gen 15 OC Aristocrat
7. Gillette 2nd Gen SB Aristocrat
8. Charcoal Goods Level 2
9. RR Gamechanger with both baseplates.
10. Edwin Jagger DE89
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
2.Gillette 1934 Aristocrat
3.Gillette 48/50 Aristocrat
4.Paradigm 17 4
5. Raw Shaving RS 10 Mild plate
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
7. Timeless .95 SB Titanium ( .68 plate will be used if we can get one )
8. Stahly
8. Karve with a variety of baseplates which I will use the milder E, C or D plate.
9. Gillette Fat handled Tech

At this point I'm not proud I STILL NEED a Timeless .68 baseplate....Titanium if possible.

Thanks all!

DB

I support however you want to categorize, Frank. All I know is that, based on my den, the 17-4 is going to win this war. I used it again this morning, and given the efficiency:smoothness ratio, it wins every time. I might have a few more efficient razors, but none that are as efficient and smooth, both.

I look forward to reading this monumental undertaking!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
UPDATE:

I'm planning on starting the Shave Off this coming weekend so I want to make sure all is in place for the 1st rounds. I thought to make it more interesting I'd start with either the category 1 which I'm calling " Adjustables " or the 2nd category which I'm referring to as the "Contenders " and do a Shave Off with the 2 razors we pick out for the first Shave Off. Then move to the to the other category and do a Shave Off with 2 of those razors and then back again to the other category and keep going that way until we finish the 2 categories. Eventually as the razors get eliminated we will be left with 2 razors from each category and then those 4 razors will be added to the what I'm calling the " Favorites " category which are the razors both modern and Vintage that have the reputation for being super smooth and that category will go last.

I'd like to put together the matchups before I start the Shave off this weekend. I'd like to hear some feedback and suggestions as to what category and which 2 razors go with for 1st round so let me know what your pick. If you believe that some of the razors should be in different categories lets hear your thoughts and we can discuss it. I've done my best to put these razors in the proper categories based on either my own personal experiences shaving with them ( some from memory since it's been a while ) or from members who have sent them to me for this Shave Off and have given me their opinions.

So Gentlemen I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this set up I've put together.

1.Gillette F4 Toggle
2.Gillette Fatboy
3.Gillette Slim
4. Mergress adjustable.
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande
3. Gillette Red Tip
10. Edwin Jagger DE89
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
4.Paradigm 17 4
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
8. Stahly
8. Karve with a variety of baseplates which I will use the milder E, C or D plate.

At this point I'm not proud I STILL NEED a Timeless .68 baseplate....Titanium if possible.

Thanks all!

DB
Wow. Epic shave-off, Frank. What a list. Can’t wait to follow it.

UPDATE:

1.Gillette F4 Toggle
2.Gillette Fatboy
3.Gillette Slim
4. Mergress adjustable.
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande
3. Gillette Red Tip
10. Edwin Jagger DE89
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
4.Paradigm 17 4
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
8. Stahly

Thanks all!

DB
Very well thought out!! Wow, this is gonna be great!

UPDATE:

1.Gillette F4 Toggle
2.Gillette Fatboy
3.Gillette Slim
4. Mergress adjustable.
5. Gibbs adjustable

Category 2 - Contenders:

1. Gillette New SC
3. Gillette RFB
4. Fatip Grande
3. Gillette Red Tip
10. Edwin Jagger DE89
11. Merkur 34C
12. RazoRock SLOC
13. RazoRock Mamba
14. Blackbird SB
15. Ikon New Deluxe

Category 3 - Favorites:

1.Gillette President
4.Paradigm 17 4
6. Wolfman WR2 .95 SB
8. Stahly

Thanks all!

DB

Great approach to organizing this ‘tournament’ shave-off!! :a21::a21:

I like your categories, Frank. And luckily, I either already had or purchased a few razors because of your previous Shaveoffs. So this Shaveoff will not be costing me a lot of money!

Your right it's very difficult when it comes to picking out the right blade for the right razor. One thing I thought of is I can ask any member who is sending me a razor what blade does he think gives him the smoothest shave with that razor and all the rest of them that I know very well from my own den I can just go with what I know works best. This may be the best option. The only other thing I was thinking of is pick a mid level blade like a Astra and use it in every razor but the more I think about it the more I like the first option better. What do you think?

Thank you for your input and suggestions and I think I"m heading in that direction when it comes to picking out a blade for every razor. Most of the razors come from my den so I know those well and what blade works best when it comes to smoothness and some of the others that are being sent to me I've used along the way and have a pretty good idea of what works best and like I mentioned in the other post I'll ask each member who's sending me a razor to use what is their best blade for that razor so it should work out as best as possible since there is no 100% perfect method.

Thank you!
I think your first option would give a truer sense of razor smoothness. I think the blade that makes a given razor the smoothest it can be, compared to other razors with their smoothest blades, will better determine which razor can, under optimal circumstances and setup, give the smoothest shave. Which is what I would hope all your efforts will uncover.

I think your first option would give a truer sense of razor smoothness. I think the blade that makes a given razor the smoothest it can be, compared to other razors with their smoothest blades, will better determine which razor can, under optimal circumstances and setup, give the smoothest shave. Which is what I would hope all your efforts will uncover.

Thanks for your input my friend and I'm going to give it the best I can. As far as the razors in the Shave Off that are coming from my den I've pretty much tried most of the blades with them so I'm very confident I'll choose the right ones to use in the Shave Off. With the razors that I'm very familiar with that I've had and sold that are now coming back to me from members again I'm fairly sure I know what blade to use but I'm also listening to the owners about what their favorite is. With the razors that are being sent to me that I have no experience with I'm going by what the owners are telling me works best. I may however if I find it's not to my liking change the blade after a few strokes during a Shave Off and see it that makes any difference in my evaluation of how smooth the razor is or isn't on my face.

Good post! :a14:

Man I'm going to have to put this baby up against the Stahly in my own smoothness smackdown. 1937 Liebel.
proxy.php

Thanks for your input my friend and I'm going to give it the best I can. As far as the razors in the Shave Off that are coming from my den I've pretty much tried most of the blades with them so I'm very confident I'll choose the right ones to use in the Shave Off. With the razors that I'm very familiar with that I've had and sold that are now coming back to me from members again I'm fairly sure I know what blade to use but I'm also listening to the owners about what their favorite is. With the razors that are being sent to me that I have no experience with I'm going by what the owners are telling me works best. I may however if I find it's not to my liking change the blade after a few strokes during a Shave Off and see it that makes any difference in my evaluation of how smooth the razor is or isn't on my face.

Good post! :a14:
I think your methodolgy is spot on. In the end this is your test, your experience, and we all know YMMV.

Top Bottom