What's new

The wonder drug WITCHHAZEL

I'm always looking for something to help with ingrown hairs, razor bumps, and irritation so I just ran out and purchased Thayers lavender alcohol-free witch hazel from a local natural market down the street and the Thayers original witch hazel w/aloe vera.

I noted that the ingredients on the lavender bottle made a point of stating:

"THAYERS proprietary witch hazel extract (derived from the bark) is not distilled, thereby maintaining all the beneficial natural tannins."

On the other hand, the Thayers original alcohol-free witch hazel w/aloe vera didn't say this on the label.

Anyone know the difference/benefit between distilled vs. not distilled witch hazel?

My shave isn't complete without a splash of Thayer's witchhazel aftershave(following the use of an alum bar of course). I then wait a little while and apply some aftershave balm to finish up the shave. Brilliant.

After my wife gave birth, her nurses recommended that I soak sanitary napkins in witch hazel, put them in a freezer bag and yup put 'em in the freezer. My wife has given this tip to all her friends who have delivered after her. The help with the stiches was amazing.

I'm always looking for something to help with ingrown hairs, razor bumps, and irritation so I just ran out and purchased Thayers lavender alcohol-free witch hazel from a local natural market down the street and the Thayers original witch hazel w/aloe vera.

I noted that the ingredients on the lavender bottle made a point of stating:

"THAYERS proprietary witch hazel extract (derived from the bark) is not distilled, thereby maintaining all the beneficial natural tannins."

On the other hand, the Thayers original alcohol-free witch hazel w/aloe vera didn't say this on the label.

Anyone know the difference/benefit between distilled vs. not distilled witch hazel?

wiki:

Distilled witch hazel sold in drug stores and pharmacies typically contains no tannin.

Witch hazel hydrosol is used in skincare. It is a strong anti-oxidant and astringent, which makes it very useful in fighting acne.It has been recommended for psoriasis, eczema, aftershave applications, cracked or blistered skin, for treating insect bites, poison ivy, and as a treatment for varicose veins and hemorrhoids.

Based on previous threads on Witch Hazel, I started splashing it on after shaving and found that I don't need to follow with any moisturizer or lotions.

Interesting post. I had to shave in my parents bathroom today and I found a bottle of witchhazel. I was like " What the hell is this for" Now I know...Also good to know that I have some I can try now.

I don't believe my other post was clear, looking back at it.

Not sure what the benefit would be either way, but the stuff that's not distilled (hydrosol) would be a tincture, so the bark is crushed into an alcohol solution.
They must then evaporate the alcohol leaving the tannins behind.

Thanks koso! All I know is that I'm really enjoying the Thayers Lavender after my shaves now.

I don't believe my other post was clear, looking back at it.

Not sure what the benefit would be either way, but the stuff that's not distilled (hydrosol) would be a tincture, so the bark is crushed into an alcohol solution.
They must then evaporate the alcohol leaving the tannins behind.

I've been using generic witch hazel (with something like 14% alcohol in the mix) applied to a cotton ball to clean my face when it gets oily or when I get a zit. It actually works pretty well as a gentle facial treatment and does a good job taking care of the oil, without the overly harsh drying effect of the colored alcohol sold for the same purpose.

Looks like now I'll have to use it for a post-shave treatment, as I don't mind the smell. At a buck or two a quart it's just about the cheapest post-shave product you can buy.

Bump.

I'm gathering from these posts that witchhazel offers soothing and medicinal purposes to the post shave. What I'd really like to know is would this be something one could use as a stand-alone aftershave. Is the scent pleasing and long-lasting enough to be used in this manner?

Is witchhazel the stuff the main street barbers used to splash on the back of your neck after shaving the neck hairs and if so what was that flavor/scent? I have a good 'aroma memory' of that whatever it was.

Bump.

I'm gathering from these posts that witchhazel offers soothing and medicinal purposes to the post shave. What I'd really like to know is would this be something one could use as a stand-alone aftershave. Is the scent pleasing and long-lasting enough to be used in this manner?

Is witchhazel the stuff the main street barbers used to splash on the back of your neck after shaving the neck hairs and if so what was that flavor/scent? I have a good 'aroma memory' of that whatever it was.

1. I would say no to this. Although I really like the lavender scent, it doesn't last very long at all.

2. As to your other question, I don't think it was witch hazel .. I always relate that barber splash scent to the lilac pinaud. That's what the barber in my area always used when I was growing up and I'll always remember that scent.

I was afraid somebody was going to bring up lilac vegetal. Just today I cracked open a bottle at the local Wal Greens just to get a whif and oh man it almost gagged me. I know some splashes smell better once they interact with skin oils and what not. Is this one of those? I also grabbed a sniff of the Bay Rum from Pinaud. Same reaction. I don't mind trying new products but I sure hate to buy these things and never use them.

I was afraid somebody was going to bring up lilac vegetal. Just today I cracked open a bottle at the local Wal Greens just to get a whif and oh man it almost gagged me. I know some splashes smell better once they interact with skin oils and what not. Is this one of those? I also grabbed a sniff of the Bay Rum from Pinaud. Same reaction. I don't mind trying new products but I sure hate to buy these things and never use them.

I'm with you there, I don't either. I'm not necessarily a fan of that scent, I just remember it growing up as the barber in our area used it. Can't really say with any authority about it smelling better once it interacts with the skin. That was too many years ago and I haven't tried it since.

I second the Dickinson's. I can buy it just about anywhere. If you can't find it, ask at the pharmacy. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

Where is the best places to buy Witchhazel? Both Dickinsons and Thayers?

I live in a large metropolitan area.

I buy Dickinsons at Wal-Mart. Its a little over $2 per pint. A pint has lasted me for many months, probably more than a year, and I use it almost every day.

Tim

Top Bottom