What's new

The Thin Blue Smoke Thread X - A decade of BBQ

Here is a good read on grilling.

Have you picked out a grill yet? Smoking is a lot different than grilling. With smoking you use a much lower temperature and cook for a longer period of time.

I have a gas grill and a small charcoal grill. I'm looking for a Weber for my charcoal and I want to purchase a smoker.

I have a gas grill and a small charcoal grill. I'm looking for a Weber for my charcoal and I want to purchase a smoker.

A tad spendy but very well worth the price of admission.
Weber Smokey Mountain...this one can easily do double duty as grill and smoker. Just remove the center section.
8695FA28-4370-4686-BCB6-F63CE534B035.jpeg
A720EB66-57F5-42A8-AC55-8DE0A3BBCAE9.jpeg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Did a bit of fresh hog.

Threw some sausage links on the grill.

IMG_0004.JPG

The internal temp shot up to 160, but I think they are edible.

IMG_0007.JPG

Nothing fancy...just sliced on a bun with some homemade BBQ sauce, pickles, and a bit of onion. Turned out pretty good.

IMG_0012 (2).JPG

One spread I don't have to worry about tonight! Simple rub of S&P, about 4hrs on the grill, smoked with applewood.
IMG_1131.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

Warm weather this week so my cooking partner and I worked on a venison/pork Texas Hot Link recipe and fired up the cooker. Hot smoked with cherry wood fire. This #8 grinder is perfect for <10# batches and a lot easier on the back than my #22. :biggrin1:

IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0695.JPG

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Warm weather this week so my cooking partner and I worked on a venison/pork Texas Hot Link recipe and fired up the cooker. Hot smoked with cherry wood fire. This #8 grinder is perfect for <10# batches and a lot easier on the back than my #22. :biggrin1:

View attachment 862747 View attachment 862748 View attachment 862749 View attachment 862750

Tom

OhThatLooksSoGood. Anything left? I get packages.

That looks like a good stick burner you have. Can I have your 'tater salad recipe?

OhThatLooksSoGood. Anything left? I get packages.

That looks like a good stick burner you have. Can I have your 'tater salad recipe?

Thanks Mike! They came out very good. Yep, she's a real good cooker. I wish I made her a bit bigger but I hadn't made one before and was learning along the way.

The salad was real good too, my better half picked it up at the grocery. When I dissect the recipe I'll send it to you. It had eggs, mustard, peas, and carrots...

Tom

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
You made that smoker? I'm impressed.

Ruh Roh...peas and carrots in 'tater salad? Hmmm...that's different than what I've ever had. Mom never made it that way. :biggrin1:

That is a good looking stick burner. Reverse flow also. Welder's blanket on the top due to the cold up there?

Now you have instigated it...I have a full packer brisket in the freezer, plus some pork ribs from the pig, and pork shoulder, and pork belly. Pero...it's been a cold rain for a week here...flooded in spots. I do need to get my little smoker going though.

You made that smoker? I'm impressed.

Thanks! It was a fun learning experience.

Ruh Roh...peas and carrots in 'tater salad? Hmmm...that's different than what I've ever had. Mom never made it that way. :biggrin1:

That's what I was thinking but this is not bad. :001_smile

That is a good looking stick burner. Reverse flow also. Welder's blanket on the top due to the cold up there?

Yep. It's 1/4" & 5/16" steel and holds temps steady but eats less wood with a blankie.

Now you have instigated it...I have a full packer brisket in the freezer, plus some pork ribs from the pig, and pork shoulder, and pork belly. Pero...it's been a cold rain for a week here...flooded in spots. I do need to get my little smoker going though.

Looking forward to seeing you make space in your freezer!

Tom

The sun finally came out after about 10" of rain since Tuesday, so I celebrated by firing the smoker up for a couple racks of ribs, some corn, and a mess of poblanos (for recipes down the road).

proxy.php

95BFA085-71E4-448F-80DD-55161D49F902.jpeg
83B328F5-BCCF-4A43-B6DA-73615C1B46E0.jpeg
C518334D-9AA1-486F-A44A-EC5BC2885B06.jpeg

Step 1. Get KJ up and running
Step 2. Prepare ribs. Place in KJ
Step 3. Place prepared beans beneath ribs about halfway through cooking process. (Ribs will drip all kinds of goodness into the beans).
Step 4. Grab a beer. Sit and watch mountain. Listen to Al Kooper.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom