What's new

The tales of a one eyed man.

That's outstanding...I play the guitar, incredibly poorly but it provides a lot of relaxation and occasionally something sounds not too bad...sometimes.
I am exited for him. I know he intends on trying to get into an orchestra, but I am also pushing him into getting his doctorate. I said Casey, you don’t have to worry about the tuition you know it’s all covered, so it’s not like you need to get your masters and then get to working to pay off loans, take the extra 2 years, get the doctorate and then the musical world is your oyster. You can be a professor, play in an orchestra, hell play in the Subway next to the guy playing drums on a bucket for all I care. Take a year and go play jazz in New Orleans. In other words don’t rush it. You will be 26 when you finish with your whole life a head of you.

Sunday the 7th of April 2024

I hate Sunday evenings, always have. Ever since I was kid, there is just something that clicks inside my head after 5pm EST that just sends BS through my head. When I was kid it was going to school the next day as an adult I guess it’s going to work tomorrow, but I honestly have nothing to worry about because my job is good.

Anyway let’s talk hot water and soap. I bought a mini hot water maker today, the water in my shower is always plenty warm but for some reason the hot water takes for ever to get to my sink and even then it’s never really hot enough. I think this is another part of my lathering problem besides not having a very good brush. So let’s take the water temp out of the equation and go from there. I will report back tomorrow on my lather progress after using the kettle.

Non shaving news of the day, it got hot here today in Florida, the heat, it is starting. I am sure the heat will through a whole new wrinkle in my shaving, will the heat bother my freshly shaved skin?? WHO KNOWS??!! I’m sure with my luck my neck will feel like I lathered with lava, oh joy!!

I told my wife today how I posted about telling Casey to stay in school and that he does not have to worry about getting a job to pay back loans. She said “I’ve been meaning to ask you what you tell people if they ask why he does not have to worry about tuition and loans?” I said I tell truth, I tell them I was really smart with money when I was 21 and I made one small investment that made it possible for all 3 kids to go through as much schooling as they want. Now for the investment…. I asked this girl at the bar if I could buy her drink she said yes. It was a screw driver 4 bucks with a tip. Turned out her family was very wealthy and she married me! Best 4 dollar investment ever.

Welcome to the Journaling section, and congrats on the trumpet playing sons. I played in high school but put the horn down in 1983 in a futile attempt to play football, I was a slow, overweight white kid. I picked up the trumped 30 years later, to play taps at my father's funeral. I was nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof, I hit all the notes even the high note. I blasted Reville to wake up the kids after that once, they were not too happy. I look forward to your reading the journal.

Monday the 8th of April.

Well, my mini water heater did not show today. Was actually supposed to be here by 10pm last night. This is now the second time in a row that Amazon has screwed up a delivery. Not happy but what am I gonna do? I’ll give it till tomorrow, if it’s a no show I’ll cancel the order.

Let’s get to the shave today.

61 Fatboy, feather blade, Catie’s Bubbles, RE Synthetic brush.

So as I said last night the reason for the water heater is because I have the hardest time getting a good lather. I don’t have hard water, I’ve also tried bottled and distilled, nothin, nada, zip, just bad lather all around. Some days I would get a great lather but most of the time it was a mess that I could not get it to stay on my face. So I was pointed to a YouTuber, goes by the name Cosmo, I tried his technique today.

Well I’ll be! It works, I actually had an amazing lather, turns out I was doing lots wrong. Too much water, not enough soap, was getting way too much air into my lather. The other thing I tried today, and I was not told this by anyone, it was that I realized that 90% of the videos I have ever watched, no one used a pre shave like Proraso and the like. I never had sensitive skin, I just thought it’s what I should do. So I did not use it, my skin felt fine no issues. I will say for certain, I’m not sure about those feather blades, first time using one, no nicks or weepers, but man was it sharp.

Tomorrow I will use the same soap and brush as well as the same technique but this time I will use the Proraso pre shave to see if there’s a difference in the lather on my face.

In other shaving news, I missed out on a razor I have been watching for days on eBay. I ended up on a work call and lost it. I never even got to put a bid in and it sold for less than what I was prepared to bid. Oh well, so instead I have a build your own blade sampler and build your own brush in my cart over at Maggards. I was also watching some Nacet blades on eBay just because I like to watch things, I’ve never used a nacet blade before, but I got an offer from the seller, 1800 blades for 147.50. My dumb *** almost bought it just because. Again my brain and shopping is not all there.

Now for the non shave part of my day

Today was eclipse day. State of emergencies declared in many states, people taking off work, kids not going to school, other kids getting mad because the schools would not let them outside to see it. It’s nuts I tell ya. I actually got in trouble at work today for… now get this… hold your hats… as one of my favorite fragrance YouTubers would say “Grab yourself a cup of coffee and get your balls into a good position”…. For NOT telling all of the grown a*s people that I manage to not look directly into the sun to see the eclipse!!! I was in shock. I understand safety, and I have to preach safe driving, proper use of ladders and scaffolding, making sure protective sleeves and gloves are worn when carrying glass. But how is my responsibility to make sure to tell them to NOT look directly into the eclipse. Yup that was the day.

One last thing… last night after watching the lather technique, I saw a video by Geo Fatboy in my feed. Said the Dab method, ok I’ll watch. Took some TOOBS and just dabbed it on his face and then just face lathered. Cool I say and go on my way. About an hour later I’m in my bathroom lathering my face like a dope. It works! First time I ever got a face lather to work. But did I honestly need to lather my face at 10:30 at night???

Thank for reading my ramblings.

Pics of cart at as it stands right now at Maggards and my fancy SOTD pic

IMG_0345.jpeg
IMG_0346.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg
IMG_0342.jpeg

Last edited:
Tuesday the 9th of April

This is going to be a short entry today, I am exhausted, I did not sleep well last night and 3am got here way to fast.

No shave today, I am normally an every 2-3 day shaver but I have just been enjoying the whole ritual of it that I went a couple days in a row. I find it all very relaxing, and with my heat condition, relaxing, calming activities are a good thing.

The shave news I do have is, I pulled the trigger on my Maggards order, canceled the electric kettle order, got my first order of Perma-sharp blades from Amazon, and scored a beautiful one of kind brush from Chisel and Hound from brush drop he did today.

@cajunrph thanks for the link I will check that out in a little while

Non shave news:

@huck1680 he brought chrome channel to wrap the glass in. He got there and the customer told him it was supposed to be brushed nickel. When he came in today I asked what happened and all he could do was laugh and say “I guess I need to learn how to read”. It’s all good talked to the customer we are going back on Friday, no one lives there and it’s not holding up any inspections.

That’s it for today, nothing exciting but I will leave you with a couple of
Pictures of my crazy Huskies.

Rocky in the back, Sookie in the middle, Milo in the front
IMG_2707.jpeg

She loves to cuddle
IMG_2688.jpeg

This is the rare occasion when Milo will give you the belly

IMG_2353.jpeg

Even though we got Milo for my daughter, he never leaves my wife’s side

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

Well, @Russ622 you have an eye - no pun intended - for excellent razors, blades and soaps. And I will be following this thread with interest. You've picked a great site to share your experiences. As you undoubtedly have already discovered, there are a lot of wise, generous, kind people here. I've been the beneficiary of much generosity and knowledge here and have my own little collection of razors, soaps and blades.
Out of curiosity, what is your opinion of the Pearl Flexi? I debated whether or not to get one, found a gently used one here and bought it and it is now my favorite razor, although it's a bit heavy for everyday use, perhaps.
Again, welcome to Badger & Blade. Kick up your feet, pour yourself a beverage and never be shy about sharing what's going on. You've already got a rapt audience.
Best wishes,
Dan

Well, I could have read your journal the day you started it, I did see it pop up... my loss! I am really busy as of late, but I have been summoned so here I am. 🧙‍♂️

I have read a bit, but I didn't even have the time to get through the whole first page. I will try to catch up soon, no promises. Oh yeah, thanks for posting on B&B and welcome!

If I can be of any assistance with lathering, I would be more than happy to re appear. Our lathering Maestro, who I have corresponded with when he was writing his tutorial, hasn't been around much(like myself, but for longer). The tutorial is good, but I have given some advice for smaller tweaks when somebody is already on the right track. There are a few of us who have really tried to distill this down to a repeatable science, but that's not necessary. Getting it started correctly is what matters, everything else can then be tweaked.

@Lockback Thank you! I read a lot before I started buying razors, when I was a pipe smoker before my heart stuff I always loved the old pipes, and it’s turning into the same thing with razors. As far as the Flexi goes… I have only used it once due to signing up for Vintage April but once April is over I will be giving it a few run throughs in a hurry. But the one shave I did have was very enjoyable.

@APBinNCA Thank you. I am sure I will have lots of questions as this journey continues. I like to try different ways of doing things and as I learn and get better one way then look to learn a new way.

@Russ622

Welcome to the show. 🙂👍

Some random comments from what little my old mind can recall:

You've got a great collection of nice vintage razors.

I too love patchouli. As a teen in the 70s I always liked it, though it was usually associated with hippies and potheads, which I didn't become until a few years later...(not a hippie).

I still wear patchouli essential oil as fragrance.

Anyway, one of my favorite soaps is Glastonbury by Stirling. It's (very) patchouli forward, very earthy, and stays with you for a while, regardless of your aftershave choice.

Face lathering was a revelation for me. I began with a bowl which I suppose was for the novelty, but once I started face lathering I never looked back. I get much more brush-on-the-face time, which seems to prep my beard better.

Anyway, that's all I remember...oh...love the fur babies.

Thursday the 11th of April

No entry yesterday I was not feeling well, I was actually feeling rundown in the beginning of the week, I think I had a head cold or something going on and work has been nuts but am feeling much better today.

On to the shave, I used a 1937 Sheraton today with a Perma-sharp blade. First ever shave with an open comb, it was definitely a different feeling made me go nice and slow no nicks or weepers but a little irritation by the side of my mouth when I used the alum. If I get irritation that’s where I get it. Next shave I really need to pay attention to how I am shaving there.

Todays lather was brought to you by a Timeless bowl, Vikings blade brush that is shedding like crazy (I’ll have some questions about that latter) and a sample of Catie’s Bubbles Azure. I almost forgot, my kettle showed up last night, used it today and it was so nice having hot water. I set the kettle to 135° and it was perfect. I used the Precision Load again and it was another good lather. Was slick and abundant, there was plenty left after 2 passes, but I am sure it can be slicker because I did notice after the pass there was some slickness on my skin but not nearly as much as I had hoped. So that means to me more water, correct? Tomorrow is another day and another lather.

Now my brush question, I really like this handle, I’d like to keep it but the knot is no good. How do I get the knot out?

So I have been trying to get my side of the bathroom in order, between all of my razors, fragrances, soaps, blades, bowls, everyday stuff it’s a mess and I can tell my wife is getting a little frustrated with my mess. So i cleaned out the bottom drawer on my side and am going to store my soaps and blades in there. It’s pretty deep in depth and length so I will be able to store plenty. The one thing I was thinking about was blade storage. So I measured a tuck and did the math and found these on Am@zon. They fit 20 tucks snugly.

IMG_0367.jpeg
IMG_0366.jpeg

Whatcha think?

I really don’t have any non shave news today. It’s been pretty boring the past couple of days.

@gpjoe I fell in love with patchouli about 20 years ago. I threw out my back bad, my neighbor told me to go see his sister who was and still is a licensed massage therapist. She did the deep tissue, hot stone, patchouli oil massage and I was hooked.

Thank you for the soap recommendation, I have a list going for my next purchase and I will be adding that.

I want to get the bowl lathering down before I move to face. I find the whole ritual of bowl lathering relaxing. Even when I screw it up and have had to start over, it’s still relaxing. I like that it’s something that I can concentrate on for a few minutes that blocks out all the other stuff that normally runs through my mind.

And the fur babies are awesome, sometimes to much especially the husky floof all over the place.

Now my brush question, I really like this handle, I’d like to keep it but the knot is no good. How do I get the knot out?

First: Glad you feel better. My wife is coming off a nasty bout with seasonal flu...luckily I somehow avoided infection.

Regarding the brush knot, usually you first cut the bristles off as close to the handle as possible then dig out the remaining stuff from the handle.

I've done a couple, and after cutting the bristles, I used a drill in the center of the brush to get started and then carefully hacked away with an X-acto knife to get it as clean as possible, then used Dremel attachment on my bench buffer to clean up the opening. (One arbor on my buffer has a drill chuck that will accept the Dremel bits.)

Here's the result, with an inexpensive , 20mm Maggard badger knot:

Screenshot_20240308_125211_Gallery.jpg

Some have had success with heating the brush in a covered pot of simmering water (with the brush on an inverted cup or bowl, not in the water) to "steam" the knot for a bit (15 minutes?) and twist the entire knot from the handle.

There is no one correct method, but there definitely is the possibility of ruining the handle, so proceed at your own risk.

Check out this brush sub-forum to see some methods used:

Last edited:
Just as an alternative option, you can send it to Rudy Vey and have him drill it out and put an STF or Shavemac knot in it. He would be able to get it set properly to your preference. My Viking's blade brush has a knot that unscrews so please check that yours doesn't first.

First: Glad you feel better. My wife is coming off a nasty bout with seasonal flu...luckily I somehow avoided infection.

Regarding the brush knot, usually you first cut the bristles off as close to the handle as possible then dig out the remaining stuff from the handle.

I've done a couple, and after cutting the bristles, I used a drill in the center of the brush to get started and then carefully hacked away with an X-acto knife to get it as clean as possible, then used Dremel attachment on my bench buffer to clean up the opening. (One arbor on my buffer has a drill chuck that will accept the Dremel bits.)

Here's the result, with an inexpensive , 20mm Maggard badger knot:

View attachment 1827863

Some have had success with heating the brush in a covered pot of simmering water (with the brush on an inverted cup or bowl, not in the water) to "steam" the knot for a bit (15 minutes?) and twist the entire knot from the handle.

There is no one correct method, but there definitely is the possibility of ruining the handle, so proceed at your own risk.

Check out this brush sub-forum to see some methods used:

Thanks! I will definitely try that with another brush I have and I have been looking at some vintage brushes but never perused them more than just looking because I was not sure how to go about refurbishing one.

Sorry to hear about your wife, but glad she’s feeling better. I woke up this morning head felt like it was a 100 pounds but after a shower and driving to work I’m feeling fine.

Top Bottom