What's new

The synthetic brushes breakthrough

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
Just wondering about synthetic brushes. They really got very popular, the demand for them has risen a whole lot, while the demand for badger brushes got considerably lower. I also can tell that by looking at the B/S/T. In addition to that I also think that wet shavers no longer want to spend a lot of money on prestigious badger brushes. Have you noticed these changes too?

I’m sure you’re right that synthetic brushes have become more popular. I wouldn’t try to guess people’s motivations for choosing synthetic over badger - there may be many different reasons and a lot of people will own both types and enjoy them all.

I’m not even sure that price is much of a factor - you can get premium quality badgers for well under $100 and that’s about the same as a premium quality synthetic in a nice handle. Artisan hand-tied badger knots are much more expensive, but they were always much more expensive than other high quality badgers as well.

The bottom line is that many current synthetics are simply very good shaving brushes and they are more accepted now for the particular benefits this type of brush offers. Not better or worse than badger (or boar or horse), but different.

The bottom line is that many current synthetics are simply very good shaving brushes and they are more accepted now for the particular benefits this type of brush offers.

From my perspective as a new wet shaver, I did not even consider anything but a synthetic as I did not want to deal with what seems like an extensive preparation routine of the natural hair brush compared to the wet-n-go benefit or advantage of the manmade fibers. My two brushes feel super soft on my face and I cannot imagine anything better, but without having tried a badger/boar brush I might never know.

In fact, I have a new Shavemac being delivered from Germany by the USPS today :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Been doing this old skool wet shaving thing since 2010 and have had many different kinds of shaving brushes, expensive and cheap come and go thru my den. Badger, Boar, Horse and Synthetic.

Over the years, I have just seemed to naturally drift to the preference of a Synthetic. I still keep an Omega Boar around for the nostalgia of an all Italian shave with Proraso and the wife likes a very old black badger with cut tips for the scritchy exfoliating when shaving her legs, but 99.9% of the time, I reach for my Plisson La Maison du Barbier synthetic.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Just wondering about synthetic brushes. They really got very popular, the demand for them has risen a whole lot, while the demand for badger brushes got considerably lower. I also can tell that by looking at the B/S/T. In addition to that I also think that wet shavers no longer want to spend a lot of money on prestigious badger brushes. Have you noticed these changes too?
I started off with Omega 10005 boar brushes and then I bought some Razorock Plissoft synthetics and they have a nice face feel to their synthetic brushes so kind of went that way for years and then in the last 2 years have been buying Yaqi brushes in synthetic , badger and boar.
I'm glad I went synthetic at first because I appreciate the natural hair brushes just as much now because they offer a different face feel and natural hair brushes can be just as inexpensive as a good synthetic brush because more folks are going synthetic it seems(supply & demand imbalances that drive the price of badger and boar brushes down to compete).
A good synthetic brush I enjoy are the 26mm diameter knots and also the 24mm diameter knots are great.
If a person likes a gentle scrub and luxury soft tips the 26mm synthetic knots are just about as good as it comes and they do not use much more lather than a 24mm synthetic knot IMO.(I just buy standard issue brushes because they are best for average shaving and custom knot fitted brushes you kind of have to find some one who knows something about brushes).
The best over all badger is the 2 band (finest) badgers because they do everything about right for my shaving needs and are about the same price as a good synthetic brush when on sale. If a person likes a good luxury gentle scrub and excellent lather painter the 3 band silvertip HD knots I really enjoy.
I have some nice boar bristle brushes also and they are excellent and I really enjoy those also and I make a habit to rotate my brushes so I look forward to using them all IMO.
I had bought a lot of bargain sale quality brushes and found they are excellent to use and I understand why some folks still enjoy their natural hair shave brushes because they are very good also and make a good lather just as fast as a synthetic once you know what to do when I bowl lather using natural hair brushes!

I tried my first synthetic yesterday. Loved it with proraso. A 24mm timberwolf knot.
Gotta say, it's insanely soft with nice backbone.

One of the big reasons it's probably a growing section of sales is animal welfare. Multiple reports of the treatment of the badgers before slaughter haven't been pretty. Similar to wanting humanely sourced beef.

Horsehair is another nice alt.

Behold the Mighty Trafalgar 1, Grandest of All.

9B838362-09BC-4C59-BE79-145D272C3676.jpeg

Last edited:
I have my first synthetic on order and it should be here by the weekend.

I’ve been so satisfied and well served by my lone $12 Omega boar for the past 10 years or so that I have never even considered going for a high priced badger. I did try a cheap badger though, and it was prickly as heck…yuck.

I’m recently moving away from soaps and face lathering, and into creams and bowl lathering. The high praise (and low cost) of synthetics as bowl latherers pushed me to try one.

Will be getting another Omega (for loyalty) of the same knot size and loft as my Omega boar. So I’ll be able to compare apples to apples.

I never thought my badgers would sit and be showpieces, but it has happened.

Most are kept for sentimental reasons and they are hard to let go on the BST as the ones I have are basically unobtanium at this point.

My most used brush is a $16 synthetic. They are softer, dry quicker, don't require soaking (I still do), inexpensive, animal free and lather better.

Last edited:
Running behind here. Personally, I haven't found a synthetic that has the same characteristics or warmth as a natural bristle brush. However, as in all things in shaving, ymmv. I have one synthetic and my wife has some since she shaves her legs and armpits in the shower. Synthetics do better in more humid climates.

I think that there’s two factors driving the rise of synthetic brushes.

First factor being quality. Since the first synthetic brushes were released manufacturers have been able to develop fibers that have softer tips than earlier versions while keeping a certain amount of rigidity depending on the specifications of clients.

The second factor is cost. Quality synthetic brushes are significantly cheaper than a natural fiber brush. On the low end synthetics typically run about $10-$25*. Mid grades are around $25-$50*. Top grade synthetics range from $50-$100*. Premium/custom brushes would be in the $100*+ range.

* = approximate price ranges in my mind. There will be some overlap in pricing. For example I would consider the Simpson Trafalgar series with the sovereign synthetic knots to be in the mid range category even though the T1 and T2 Trafalgars are usually under the $25 price tag

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
For me...it was predominantly a cost issue. They do perform well for me though. The one badger brush I had my Airedale got a hold of when she was a puppy ... bye-bye brush!

I now have a fairly extensive collection of synthetic brushes many of which cost less than $20. Although I do have some pricier synthetics, most were not expensive. I just bought three Yaqi synthetics for less than $60...free shipping.

IMG_20230317_073654_01.jpg

She prefers badger brushes.

Top Bottom