What's new

boar brushes overrated?

Nope, not here.
I've never had a loose boar bristle on my face. I use Omega and Semogue mainly.
Sounds like you're judging all boars by your defective brush. Or do you have multiple lather-hogging shedders?
I'm sorry that you are experiencing this misery and anguish. Don't give up yet!

Sometimes I ask myself why I'm using a sub-$20 boar brush when I have all these lovely and expensive badgers.
It's because they work, putting nice lather on my face.

edit: Throw that wretched brush in the trash.
Lol….I had one come off on my face today….newer Omega boar.

I have tried 5, mostly Omega.....
The last one.....still trying to brake them in.....and tried every method posted online.....is the wooden handle on the picture.
Looked nice, did not smell out of the box.......washed w dish detergent and it started to reek...... Have soaked in cold and warm water, lathered w shampoo, now lathering w Arko (which I do not like) but trying for the brush to soften and not to stink.....
This one is a shedder......I can identify w the original poster......this one keeps shedding.....wins a medal......

Of the brushes in the pict. the white EJ is mediocre......and the only good one (after working hard to brake them in) is the mighty midget....which is a mixed boar/badger...... PXL_20231208_234602790.jpg

Even the last synthetic I got: a set from @[email protected], brush and blades for $6.81 shipped.....that one brush that I thought would be useless......beats every boar I have tried......

I had really high hope for this wood handle Omega.....finally going to get one that works like a charm......; so far nothing.....will keep lathering w Arko.....one of them should win......or else: both will take a trip to the unknown .

And that cheap synthetic.... I had no idea nor hope that it would work well..... It is indeed the worst synthetic I have....but it still beats all the boars I have....and even some badgers.....

Last edited:
PS:
I can appreciate that the notion of surface tension may come across as an opaque "fact" to someone who has never heard of or thought about surface tension before. Surface tension is the very foundation of shaving brush mechanics, and the reason shaving brushes can function as such at all.

In case you want to better understand how this is so, there are a number of instructive sites available on the topic. I suggest you Google your way to a resource that matches your level and desire for instruction. Try googling (e.g.) "surface tension explained", or something similar.

On surface tension specifically in the context of (boar) shaving brushes, one resource I can recommend is the widely acclaimed "Zach's beginners guide to boar brushes". It is widely cited and is copied to various sites

If need be, I hope this can help to demystify the hard and objective facts of surface tension I referred to in my previous posts

Last edited:
Overrated?...more like underrated!

Fancy badger brushes and super easy to use synthetics have overshadowed boar brushes.

But I get the most rich & creamy lather from boar brushes!

Boars are the least efficiency in terms of product use but the lather produced is well worth it!

First, as @Champion of Capua said, please talk nicely (I am not a "Dude", and feel provoked being addressed as such. Calling people names does amount to passive aggression ...).

Next, no matter how you may feel about it, it remains a basic fact that boar bristle are thicker than both badger and synthetic hair. Claiming otherwise is ludicrous. It is there to observe with the naked eye for anyone with such brushes in front of him.

The rest of what I wrote in my last post follows directly from this simple fact. It's a matter of basic laws of physics pertaining to dynamics of surface tension, and by this merit objective fact as well. End of story, despite sentiments to the contrary.

Now, that being solidly established, you may indeed also have a valid point.
There could well be "additional factors" as you write, also affecting a shaving brush's ability to retain ("hog" and release) water and lather. You even allude to "a great many variables".

So I suggest a constructive way forward is that you now proceed to lecture us on what these variables then are more specifically, and explain how this is so.

I am not interested in mere claims to the effect that boars do or don't "hog" lather, even if "many people" ostensibly may claim so.
Rather, I am interested in plausible arguments, transparent trains of reasoning about cause and effect.

One concrete variable you do mention in your previous post is the porosity of boar bristle.
It is true that boar bristle possess this quality, but boar brushes are unlikely to "Hog" much lather for this reason. This is because boar brushes are commonly already soaked in water prior to use, to the effect that the bristle are already saturated with liquid at the point where soap/lather enters the scene.

But I am certainly interested in what else you may have to say on the matter, and if you actually manage to come up with some concrete examples and plausible cause-effect reasoning, it could be really useful and interesting for all of us in this thread.

Thank you for your time and attention.
First "dude" isn't negative, condescending or inappropriate and my saying it isn't against the rules. Second, please show me where I said that boar bristles aren't thicker than synthetic? I didn't claim that and I think you know that. Don't twist my words because you're annoyed at being called out.

I challenged your implication that synthetics releasing less lather due to that single characteristic was "objective physics" when that's just one variable among a great many that decide how brushes behave. There's too many dynamic variables interacting with each other to draw such a shallow conclusion. To claim that that single characteristic is the primary reason for boars supposedly less lather as "objective physics" you'd need to isolate that single variable against another other controls with those single variables isolated then prove through measurable experimentation that it's true, then repeatedly show through measurable experimentation that your conclusion remains true even after adding every single other variable back in without variation in your results...but it's just shaving, so course you're not going to do that, and neither am I, but as somebody with a degree in Astronomy, which is mostly physics (hence my annoyance) if you really want compare our knowledge of the scientific method, then by all means....let's.

Or...we can just recognize that shaving brushes obviously aren't important enough to examined by the scientific community, which means neither your nor i have "objective" conclusions, which means you shouldn't be jumping on jonwilson's comment implying that him having a different experience is akin to "hallucination" while yours is "objective physics", when neither is true. His opinion was just as valid even though it didn't come with a dollar store claim of factuality.

Overrated?...more like underrated!

Fancy badger brushes and super easy to use synthetics have overshadowed boar brushes.

But I get the most rich & creamy lather from boar brushes!

Boars are the least efficiency in terms of product use but the lather produced is well worth it!
Precisely

if you don't mind having to load the extra soap, which those among us with dozens of soaps likely do not, they're well worth the extra soap. A badger that nails the backbone/splay ratio is a special thing...but a fixed thing. The perpetual evolution of a boar has its own special appeal.

I have tried 5, mostly Omega.....
The last one.....still trying to brake them in.....and tried every method posted online.....is the wooden handle on the picture.
Looked nice, did not smell out of the box.......washed w dish detergent and it started to reek...... Have soaked in cold and warm water, lathered w shampoo, now lathering w Arko (which I do not like) but trying for the brush to soften and not to stink.....
This one is a shedder......I can identify w the original poster......this one keeps shedding.....wins a medal......

Of the brushes in the pict. the white EJ is mediocre......and the only good one (after working hard to brake them in) is the mighty midget....which is a mixed boar/badger......View attachment 1761123

Even the last synthetic I got: a set from @[email protected], brush and blades for $6.81 shipped.....that one brush that I thought would be useless......beats every boar I have tried......

I had really high hope for this wood handle Omega.....finally going to get one that works like a charm......; so far nothing.....will keep lathering w Arko.....one of them should win......or else: both will take a trip to the unknown .

And that cheap synthetic.... I had no idea nor hope that it would work well..... It is indeed the worst synthetic I have....but it still beats all the boars I have....and even some badgers.....
If assurance that a brush will 'just work' is what you're after, then synthetics are going to be hard to beat, but of you're willing to give boars another go then I'd like to recommend you try a Zenith boar. I only have two Zenith but both have a bristle loss rate considerably lower than my semogue and Omegas. Plus they just have a different feel to them. The QC is just on another level, as neither zenith had a single upside down fiber. I literally couldn't find one. Even my SOC required hours or pruning to get the inverted fibers out as Semogue's premium most offering.

if you really want compare our knowledge of the scientific method, then by all means....let's.
So I ask you (once again):
What more specific "variables", apart from surface tension, do you think tangibly affect the water (lather) retention capacity of a shaving brush?
And not least, how more specifically do you suggest these work (in terms of cause and effect)?

I have one question:

has anyone used 1/2" of bleach on a boar brush....... maybe soften or split tips??

I have seen concentrated bleach to tips of badger, and those are then called "gel tips"......

Anyway.....I have nothing to lose.....and if someone has tried regular bleach to a new or slightly used boar brush.....info is more than welcome.

Thanks

I have one question:

has anyone used 1/2" of bleach on a boar brush....... maybe soften or split tips??

I have seen concentrated bleach to tips of badger, and those are then called "gel tips"......

Anyway.....I have nothing to lose.....and if someone has tried regular bleach to a new or slightly used boar brush.....info is more than welcome.

Thanks

Just for grins, think about same procedure for a synth knot!

I have one question:

Thanks
The funny thing is I think some have given boar the gel tip treatment. I never bothered reading it as I couldn't stomach it. I'm certain it's just a search away here. Not interested in searching for such a travesty.

Using boar brushes have made me question the value of expensive brushes(badger or otherwise).
To me both boar and badger brushes are enjoyable. I think the reason why boar brushes are less expensive than badgers is because there’s more pigs being harvested for food, medical care and other purposes than badgers being harvested for human use. So therefore “boar” bristles are more readily available as a byproduct of pork consumption than badger hair being available as a byproduct

IMG_6210.jpeg

This little boar brush costs about £5 here in the U.K. . Less than my wife’s fancy herbal tea bags.
It makes a lovely lather with cream or hard soap and deposits it on my face in a pleasing fashion.
I vote that boar brushes are actually
a bit underrated. Had some top shaves this December all using the humble boar for lather duties. I like badger as well though. I also own 1 synthetic and that works too.

View attachment 1764057
This little boar brush costs about £5 here in the U.K. . Less than my wife’s fancy herbal tea bags.
It makes a lovely lather with cream or hard soap and deposits it on my face in a pleasing fashion.
I vote that boar brushes are actually
a bit underrated. Had some top shaves this December all using the humble boar for lather duties. I like badger as well though. I also own 1 synthetic and that works too.

Where in the UK is this available please?
Would you also know the model number?

Top Bottom