What's new

Looking to add to my Simpsons Chubby 1 Best Badger brush

Hi B&B members,

I'm new here and looking to add another brush to my collection, I've currently got the simpsons chubby 1 best badger brush and I've had that for about 8 years. When I first got introduced to wet shaving by a work colleague I used to experiment with different soaps/creams and blades but then lost interest in trying new products and stuck to what worked for me at the time. I first started using a frank shaving synthetic brush for a few years before I got the simpson ch1 and what an upgrade that was. I'm looking for something that's got some more backbone as the brush is quite soft and empty feeling in the centre, would manchurian badger be an upgrade? any other suggestions?

I predominantly shave using mitchell's wool fat and bloom the soap to lather it, I'm currently trying out cella for a second time and it's growing on me previously I didn't like the smell but my tastes have changed over the years.

Thanks

If you want more backbone you may want to step down to a pure badger. Are you considering synthetics? If so the Simpsons trafalgar might be worth checking into.
I'm open to trying different types, I have a proraso boar brush on the way to test out. My knowledge on different brush types is not that great, when I originally got the chubby I was looking at the silver tip but opted for best badger based on reviews. I used to use a lot of TOBS before and a soft brush worked fine but for hard soaps it can be tough.

Hey sorry I missed this! I have not used a Chubby 1 but I just ordered one in Super!! The Simpsons web site has a pretty good Christmas Sale going on right now 😃.

If you like the density of the Chubby 1 and wanted to try another manufacturer I would recommend looking at one of the Shavemac D01 Silvertip brushes. I like my 22/46 fan and 24/50 fan but it is closer in bloom to a Chubby 2. I think a 22/48 fan would be comparable also!

IMG_20231228_123944.jpg

From left to right:
Shavemac D01 22/46, Classic 2 Super, Shavemac D01 24/50 and Chubby 2 Super.

I really like my Classic 2 and have it in Best, Super and 2 band Silvertip. They have very similar spec's to the Chubby 1 so that may be an option also!

I'm looking for something that's got some more backbone as the brush is quite soft and empty feeling in the centre, would manchurian badger be an upgrade? any other suggestions?

Thanks

Maybe the new Semogues are right up your alley?

proxy.php

Pic from Bullgoose, not mine.

Most Semogues (if not all) I know of have ample backbone.
If you get a Mistura my guess is the firmness and density will provide a much sturdier backbone.

Top Bottom