What's new

The Sprout 2020

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Question: do any of you reuse the canning jar lids?

My Dad always did, no real failures to seal as I recall. My wife and her family never did.

She and I are both so cheap we pinch a penny so hard Abe Lincoln hollers! So it didn't take much convincing to get her to try it.

Honestly, you can count on probably two FINGERS how many cans haven't sealed in HUNDREDS of jars. And we reuse them I have no idea how many times, seriously. We are careful in removing the lids, but we've done it with lids with pretty good marks in them from the pointy end of the can/bottle opener.

Just wanted to let you know in case you can't find lids. Also: there is a type of spaghetti sauce my mom buys at the grocery store, kinda skinny jar, that takes a regular size canning lid that she saves us.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
@FarmerTan what you speak of is blasphemy in this house! How dare you!

For real though - we NEVER have. Just cause we were always told no no no no no you can’t reuse the lids. But all be darned if I’m not reading what you are typing.

How many times have you reused the lids would you guess? We cant’ find anything at all here. No wide mouth, or regular. Not even the rims w/lids. Not even the jars. Which we don’t need the jars (got hundreds of those).

If you say it can be done then we are gonna have to try it because we are desperate. I suppose we can try it with 2 or 3 jars at first. Something we can eat right away if it doesn’t work.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Everything I read says one time use if water bathed. Which we do. Reason being is the heat melts the seal to the jar.

FarmerTan

Everything I read says one time use if water bathed. Which we do. Reason being is the heat melts the seal to the jar.
My wife says some we did tonight that sealed were at least the fourth use, judging from some of the dates on them.
15973779905362751420187390265339.jpg15973780162467116440633811391214.jpg15973780594979072814204979143608.jpg15973780910124736656013022043437.jpg
Notice the dent in the last picture of the wide mouth.

I'M NOT RECOMMENDING THIS PRACTICE, just relating my 40+ year experience with it.

Honestly, if we weren't poor when I was younger I doubt I'd be doing this.

Here's something I learned tonight: since my job was to look at the gauge (like every time; my lovely bride knows how to keep ADHD hubby busy) I got to studying the numbers on it. I took a picture, and maybe it shows if you want to look at it. We can them for 20 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. I think the temperature on the gauge says 240 degrees at that pressure.

Never paid it any mind before.

FarmerTan

Here's that gauge:
15973789069578575730936892951932.jpg

@Toothpick : my War Department said to tell you that we will be out and about and will look for some lids to get you tomorrow. We honestly have no idea what is out there, as we haven't had to buy any in a LONG time.

See, she's nice to other people. It's me that she abuses, quite possibly the best man that ever agreed to marry her!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
We don’t do the pressure canning but I suppose as far as temperatures go it’s a bit hotter. I think water boils around 210 degrees. But I think we are higher than sea level. Anyway, should be hot enough!

We are going to have to try it out. Worst case we eat a few more green beans than intended.

FarmerTan

We don’t do the pressure canning but I suppose as far as temperatures go it’s a bit hotter. I think water boils around 210 degrees. But I think we are higher than sea level. Anyway, should be hot enough!

We are going to have to try it out. Worst case we eat a few more green beans than intended.
I should have mentioned my wife mentioned on Facebook that our old canner had died and another friend gave us that one earlier in the season. Lol, I'd be in the poor house if not for my wife being a nice person!

FarmerTan

Oh, here's a shot of the beans; they all sealed. Notice a trick my wife learned from the neighbors: when you don't have enough jars to fill the canner, do this: fill a canning jar half way with dry beans (these are Great Northern) and the rest of the way with water and a bit of salt, of course.

No wasted space and beans ready for whatever. Preferably baked beans. Or white chilli. Or bean soup.

Lol, she spoils me. But can you guys think of any single person who deserves it more than I do?

Lol, think hard!

212° F at sea level, 203° F in Denver. So not a huge amount of difference at altitudes most people live at.

I dont re use for canning, however if i make a short batch of jam or if I move something into a canning jar, then the fridge, I have a draw full of used lids, just so I dont use a new one on general storage.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I dont re use for canning, however if i make a short batch of jam or if I move something into a canning jar, then the fridge, I have a draw full of used lids, just so I dont use a new one on general storage.

I've done the same thing, as long as the lid didn't keep much of an aroma. I keep a handful of used ones around for that.

However, a while back, I also bought some plastic, screw-on lids for my jars. I'm not sure they are quite worth it, but they are a little easier to deal with, and they weren't that much in the first place.

Top Bottom