What's new

The Sprout 2020

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
And how long do you "bathe" them in the jars if you can remember off the top of your head? Been married so long I forget how my mom and dad did it that way.

I married a rich girl; she owned a pressure cooker!!!!
3 hours I think. Or around there. We need a pressure cooker because we do hundreds of jars of stuff. Of course it all doesn’t have to boil for 3 hours but a pressure canner would be way faster.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
3 hours I think. Or around there. We need a pressure cooker because we do hundreds of jars of stuff. Of course it all doesn’t have to boil for 3 hours but a pressure canner would be way faster.
We were just given one that only will do 7? quarts at a time, but the price was obviously right!

It replaced another that held like 20 some pints and 14 quarts I think, but we never really loaded it to capacity.

If it weren't for this Covid thing I'd recommend garage sales. They can be had cheap.

I was gonna buy one of those gasket-less ones but my wife mentioned it on FakeBook and our neighbor said hers never sealed right, and another friend offered us the free one from like 1960 or so. Has worked really good.

We buy dry beans and then can some and eat some.

We've also canned some of our meat birds. Never know when a freezer might die!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Have you ever just let them dry and then cook them later?

No. I thought about doing that just for grins but never have. They start coming in pretty quickly, so it's easy enough to accumulate enough to cook over a couple or few days (sometimes just one). We would just hold them in the veggie door of the fridge until we had enough.

1/2 Teaspoon of salt for pints and a full teaspoon for quarts. Some folks add vinegar also but we don’t.

That's not enough salt to retard botulism growth, and simple water bath canning doesn't get hot enough to kill it. I imagine you cook those beans for plenty of time after you open the jar, though (which denatures any botulism toxin that might be in there). Just boil for 10 minutes after opening up, but I bet you cook longer than that with those beans.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
No. I thought about doing that just for grins but never have. They start coming in pretty quickly, so it's easy enough to accumulate enough to cook over a couple or few days (sometimes just one). We would just hold them in the veggie door of the fridge until we had enough.

That's not enough salt to retard botulism growth, and simple water bath canning doesn't get hot enough to kill it. I imagine you cook those beans for plenty of time after you open the jar, though (which denatures any botulism toxin that might be in there). Just boil for 10 minutes after opening up, but I bet you cook longer than that with those beans.

Thanks. I was wondering how long it would be until some mentioned this.

Been doing it this way longer than I’ve been alive And eating my entire life. Ain’t no one dead or got sick yet.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Thanks. I was wondering how long it would be until some mentioned this.

Been doing it this way longer than I’ve been alive And eating my entire life. Ain’t no one dead or got sick yet.

Yeah, "yet."

It's a very low risk, granted, but the stakes are high, and the risk can can be completely eliminated.

FarmerTan

Yeah, "yet."

It's a very low risk, granted, but the stakes are high, and the risk can can be completely eliminated.
Yes, one needs only take a microbiology class geared towards nursing students for a whole LOT of things to become important in what we eat and drink, where we swim, etc.....

I sometimes wished I never took that class!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Yeah, "yet."

50+ years of “yet” I reckon. And who knows how long before that with my grandma and great-grandma. 100+? I’m not worried about it, never have been, never will be. If ”yet” comes I give you permission to attend my funeral with a “I told ya so” sign.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
50+ years of “yet” I reckon. And who knows how long before that with my grandma and great-grandma. 100+? I’m not worried about it, never have been, never will be. If ”yet” comes I give you permission to attend my funeral with a “I told ya so” sign.

I don't look forward to that. Fortunately, I expect I won't need to, and that's especially if you get the pressure canner you already said you wanted.

We have figs forming.
2F188F1A-5EA2-4945-86A0-4DE02C37A448.jpeg

Lemon cucumbers.
B493E6E8-B98B-4055-845C-41620B2C60F8.jpeg
91B9670B-8B7B-42E1-823B-1C9AA4049848.jpeg

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Here in Middle TN canning supplies are as rare as TP was a few months ago. I can’t believe it. Everywhere is sold out. Never before has this happened. Even online retailers are sold out or are asking astronomical prices. $13 for a 12pk of Ball canning lids? Get the * out of here!

Anyone else across the country experiencing this?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Here in Middle TN canning supplies are as rare as TP was a few months ago. I can’t believe it. Everywhere is sold out. Never before has this happened. Even online retailers are sold out or are asking astronomical prices. $13 for a 12pk of Ball canning lids? Get the * out of here!

Unfortunately, yes.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Yup. Luckily I have a lot of supplies, even though I don't can near as much as some of you. Going through my stash, I came across a huge box of Tattler lids I must have bought 10+ years ago. I've never used them.

FarmerTan

That truck bed would make a nice big ole' planter box.
I won't tell my wife you said that.

No sense in both of us gittin' shot!

She is a tough task master. Made me sit and watch a canner full of green beans she picked and packed. Man, I got it hard friends:IMG_20200813_221613072~2.jpg
And here is what my weekend is shaping up to be - look what two different friends gave us this week, just because she's a nice person when I ain't around:
IMG_20200813_221747871~3.jpgIMG_20200813_221707733~3.jpg
I am blessed, my friends!

LOL, being a less than able-bodied former part time farmer/homesteader has its privileges!

Top Bottom