What's new

The shave I always wanted

Noob from Michigan here. I gave up on DE razors about twenty-five years ago because it was getting impossible to find blades, I was pissed because of the insane cost of cartridges but whaddy'a gonna do?

A few weeks ago I stumbled on this site, and after a bit of study got an Edwin Jagger DE89 and a sample pack of blades on Amazon. The Feather blade and the Cremo I already had worked pretty good, but this afternoon I drove down to Maggard Razors in Adrian, MI (only an hour or so away) and picked up a Kent VS70 brush and some Barrister and Mann Reserve Fern soap and aftershave.

Hot shower, pretreated with Cremo while building lather with the Barrister, a rub with alum after, cold water rinse and finally the aftershave. It'll take a bit to get used to the new regime, but I just got done and that was the best shave I've ever had. Love the old-school smell, too.

I'm not as happy with the brush as I'd hoped, I like a scrubby feel but it seems like about 10% of the hairs are a lot stiffer than the rest and that's a bit off-putting. We'll see what happens with use.

I also got a cake of Mitchell's Wool Fat. Lord, I love how some things have changed in a quarter-century! Thanks for the great website.

Welcome! There's a lot of great brushes out there, and if you're near the Maggard's store you've got a supply of incredible stuff. I've purchased a lot of their products online. One of my favorite synthetic brushes is a Maggard product, and their London Barbershop soap and aftershave have always elicited compliments from the missus.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. The brush might settle down with use. Give it some time. Congratulations on the shave.

Welcome back to DE.
B81C0DAF-ED6E-4125-913A-C706373C3F15.jpeg

Welcome to B&B.
picked up a Kent VS70 brush
That is a boar haired brush.
I'm not as happy with the brush as I'd hoped, I like a scrubby feel but it seems like about 10% of the hairs are a lot stiffer than the rest and that's a bit off-putting. We'll see what happens with use.
It will take ~ 30 shaves to break in so give it time. That stiffness will soften at the tips.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I've been snooping around the site more, this place has a lot going on!

One of my favorite synthetic brushes is a Maggard product, and their London Barbershop soap and aftershave have always elicited compliments from the missus.
Oh yeah! I gave up on the Kent brush, after more than two months it's still losing hair nearly as fast as when I first got it; I'd never recommend it.

I got a Maggard synthetic brush, and it's MUCH better. My wife picked out their London Barbershop soap and aftershave, and it's great stuff: rich and slick, good cushioning, excellent scent, great skin feel afterward. I love the bloom of heat from the aftershave. The Mango Sage Tea is good too, not my favorite but she likes it so that's enough for me.

Last month I had picked up some Pinaud Clubman at the drugstore, and I gotta say that if I was stuck with that it wouldn't be a terrible thing.

Top Bottom