What's new

The Secret I found Out To Prevent Weepers

Hey guys just posting this to help out nobody has talked about this but I discovered that when the razor even slides a few thousands of a inch sideways motion with or against or across the grain will cut you or burn weepers etc. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH A SLICK LATHER. How do I combat this? By holding the handle tighter and letting the razor do the work keeping more control of the upper handle towards the head sometimes and viola! I have improved much it took me months to figure this out i hope it helps thanks.

I would also caution against holding the razor to tight expecially those that are still fairly new as I would imagine it could easily lead to more applied pressure but if it works for you thats fantastic, congrats:thumbup:

Broken record at this point. Holding the razor tightly, it is less likely to be able to “do the work” and more likely that you are going to end up forcing the shave.

The razor should be held lightly, just enough to have confidence it’s not going to drop out of your hand. When people say they “let the razor do the work” it means that they have taken the time to find the razor’s optimal shave angle and allow the razor’s weight to do the major cutting, they simply help it along by guiding the strokes and adding a little momentum.

I'm not aware that I've ever caused a weeper by letting the razor move sideways (although I suppose this might occasionally have happened) but I'm absolutely sure a good number have occurred when I've applied too much pressure. Just proves the YMMV rule.

Hey guys just posting this to help out nobody has talked about this but I discovered that when the razor even slides a few thousands of a inch sideways motion with or against or across the grain will cut you or burn weepers etc. YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WITH A SLICK LATHER. How do I combat this? By holding the handle tighter and letting the razor do the work keeping more control of the upper handle towards the head sometimes and viola! I have improved much it took me months to figure this out i hope it helps thanks.
Cuts and nicks can be caused by sideways movement without moving forward at the same time but holding the handle tighter is not the solution. Holding the razor in balance will prevent that sideways movement of the head; for instance if you held the handle near the base only there more likelyhood of that sideways slip.
Weepers seem to be a result of wrong angle or too much pressure, more the latter. Let the blade do the work is my mantra, the razor just presents the blade.

The Gillette slide is not the cause of weepers. Poor technique is. Think of your face like a diamond. Shave the facets flat. Don't go over the edges of the facets with the razor blade. If you have a feature on you face that is not level , just shave up to the side of it on both sides with the end of the razor blade. You will soon identify all of your unique facets and gain a new sympathy for Kirk Douglas.

I rarely get a weeper and almost never nick or cut (at least since I stopped using my Futur). I hold my razor between thumb and index in a loose, bouncy grip. I keep thinking my fingers are the shock absorbers for my razor. Brilliant shave today, no nicks or weepers and very minimal stubble left on the back of my head.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I rarely get a weeper and almost never nick or cut. I hold my razor between thumb and index in a loose, bouncy grip. I keep thinking my fingers are the shock absorbers for my razor.

Very similar to myself, although my fingers aren't so much shock absorbers, as sensors. A lighter grip gives me a better feel of what's happening so I can adjust accordingly. This needs to be coupled with a thin (non-cushioning) and slick lather, and very light contact on the face.

im glad to hear opinions. i hold mine tightly but i let the weight and razor do the work at the correct angle of course. also if your new take your time.

YMMV for sure!

I hold my razors very lightly and let the razor do the work: rare weepers as long as the blade is sharp.

I say that if you want to avoid weepers, you shouldn't shave with a chainsaw. It's heavy and hard to control. :D
lmao real men shave with axes :a14:I know holding the handle tight is possibly not politically correct technique but it works for me I bet everyone has their own slight different techniques.

Last edited:
For the most part i wouldn't even think of it as holding or gripping the handle, it's more just resting and balanced within the fingers, the little finger curled under the butt end of the handle takes the weight. An upstroke requires holding on but with a well knurled or textured handle it's still an extremely gentle hold. I've yet to have the razor slip free and take a fall.
dave

Last edited:
For the most part i wouldn't even think of it as holding or gripping the handle, it's more just resting and balance within the fingers, the little finger curled under the butt end of the handle takes the weight. An upstroke requires holding on but with a well knurled or textured handle it's still an extremely gentil hold. I've yet to have the razor slip free and take a fall.
dave
No problem with the falling and i hope others havent had falling. but my thing is that if the blade slides a little to the side it cuts. i see it like this if i was holding a de in my hand a sudden slide movement even a few thousands of a inch will cut or if you hold it with pressure. most is movement that cuts.

My experience is that if you hold the grip tightly, the blade doesn't have a chance to ride over any small irregularities in your face - it will cut through them. A light grip for me allows the edge of the blade to follow the natural contours of my face better, without surgically leveling them out... :001_rolle

Holding the handle tight in no way prevents weepers. In fact it could make them worse as a tight grip can lead to increased pressure. But do whatever you think will work. The best way to prevent weepers is a light touch and good technique all around, not a death grip on the handle.

I appreciate everyones opinion i know its not a traditional method but it works for me if you have the right angle and no pressure from the head. maybe because i am accustomed to the angle at which i hold it

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Whatever works for you is good. I average 4 weepers a year shaving every day. I hold the razor with as little pressure as I can muster. I literally try to use just enough force so the razor doesn't fall out of my hand.

I usually find weepers are an error in razor angle, although excess pressure is helpful if you like weepers and irritation.

Top Bottom