What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

Edit: as of today only the 2023 MC model is available, she retails for 950 EUR (or if you desire a solid gold adjuster ring there's the option to shell out 1900 EUR 😎).

I assume the retail price of the 2023 Standard model might not be 620 EUR (as currently shown for the 2022 Standard L model) , once the 2023 Standard Sailor becomes available... or is this already the updated price of the 2023 Standard model but the description hasn't been updated?
We shall see, I guess.

Last edited:
I definitely agree that the Master Collection version is not an attractive buy if it is, like 2022, identical to the standard razor. It sounds like the only difference (again) is the limited edition number (but now it’s just lasered under the base plate rather than on an intricate button in the handle base). The idea seems to be that the Master Collection is made end-to-end by a single ’master builder’, but I don’t personally attach any value to that and I doubt there is any difference in quality. I think they could have polished the Master Collection or added some other premium value to the razor itself. A $300+ price premium essentially for having a numbered razor does not seem worth it, although I suppose Rocnel collectors might consider it - they probably won’t feel good about it, though.

Other than that, the changes seem like minor tweaks, so if you have a 2022 (or even 2021) Sailor it probably isn’t an upgrade in any way that will matter to you.

Cosmetically, I don’t find the flattened sides on the head to be as nice looking as previous versions. I think it’s a shame to lose the gold-plating on the adjustment ring from the 2021 MC model (though the 2022 MC and standard had a brass ring, which also was a step down but was at least a colour contrast).

So overall it’s easy for me to pass on the 2023 Sailors - there’s nothing this adds to the 2022 model, and I’m still annoyed that the 2022 Master Collection wasn’t different from the standard razor. But if you don’t have a Sailor at all then the 2023 standard model is justifiable for €620, identical to the €950 Master Collection model, and would definitely be the one to buy.

28808220-C761-4C3A-BEC6-0CEBACE2C3AB.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm still very satisfied with my 2021 MC.

2-10-22.Rocnel.Sailor.MasterCollection.2021.640.JPG

I'd probably have been every bit as satisfied with the same razor with a brass ring and a stand, but I have no regrets.

It would be hard to convince me I need a new model enough to spring for it.

No, I'm not saying the 2021 is better than the newer models as I have no basis for such an opinion.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It would be hard to convince me I need a new model enough to spring for it.
That's true Jim.
Same goes for my 2022-L MC.

I assume those of us who already own a Sailor likely won’t find a killer argument in the 2023 offering since the changes made with every model cycle seem rather small. However, those who collect the different Sailor models likely won’t need a killer argument 😄

Besides, I'm frankly quite surprised Rocnel didn't publish any details regarding the specs. Okay, if you are in the market for a Sailor you better should know that the razor has some heft. But what about the handle lenght of the 2023 model... imo the handle lenght is part of the crucial information in the decision making of buying a razor - or perhaps not.

Cheers,
Guido

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's true Jim.
Same goes for my 2022-L MC.

I assume those of us who already own a Sailor likely won’t find a killer argument in the 2023 offering since the changes made with every model cycle seem rather small. However, those who collect the different Sailor models likely won’t need a killer argument 😄

Besides, I'm frankly quite surprised Rocnel didn't publish any details regarding the specs. Okay, if you are in the market for a Sailor you better should know that the razor has some heft. But what about the handle lenght of the 2023 model... imo the handle lenght is part of the crucial information in the decision making of buying a razor - or perhaps not.

Cheers,
Guido

Guido, I agree. Handle length and also diameter.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Those who got on the Sailor train early lucked out.
This stuff is getting kinda unaffordable in todays environment.
Still, as some may rationalise, cheaper than buying a Porsche etc etc.
Well, it wasn’t exactly easy to get a Sailor at that time. You had to correspond with Murat via Instagram and then send him still quite a lot of money by Western Union (high fees for some people and no comeback if Murat didn’t come through). It was inconvenient and, for all any of us knew, potentially risky.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well, it wasn’t exactly easy to get a Sailor at that time. You had to correspond with Murat via Instagram and then send him still quite a lot of money by Western Union (high fees for some people and no comeback if Murat didn’t come through). It was inconvenient and, for all any of us knew, potentially risky.

Indeed.

Happy shaves,

Jim

My first shave in...

Modern May '23

Cream: Barbasol 1919
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - 2022L Rocnel Sailor w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

🤩/100

WOW! I specifically wanted a 2022L version and I was floored when it came up on BST. Super smooth shaving. I overclocked a bit and I was expecting a lot more blade feel. This has very little blade feel and somehow even when dialed way up.

Weight? Yep it's heavy but also seems very balanced between handle and head. The handle thickness is great and I would not want a shorter handle. The one thing I was nervous about was dropping the razor in the shower. I had no issues what so ever with grip. I didn't even think about it once I started shaving.

I completely zoned out shaving. I dialed up to the dot and never touched it again. I was going slow and methodical enjoying every stroke. Surprised how smooth shaving the bigger gap was. Face, neck, nose, chin, head. Very efficient. With care I came out with no issues and only minor irritation on the neck. Super smooth skin.

Amazingly wonderful. I've never had a professional barber shave but I felt like I was getting one.

Top Bottom