What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Let's learn more about our Sailors and how to use them to our best advantage. Plus, how 'bout some Sailor photographs.

Not being a collector of the Sailor I'm nevertheless blown away by what a great razor my 2021 Rocnel Sailor Master Collection adjustable has turned out to be.

I'm interested in learning more about the various Sailors, and how you use yours, and everything else Sailor related.

2-10-22.Rocnel.Sailor.MasterCollection.2021.640.JPG

Everything about the Sailor spells quality.

To me, nothing matters unless the shave justifies the razor's cost. People will tell you the Sailor can replace all your other razors including your Wolfman WR2 collection. As far as I can tell, they're not kidding.

Having used the range of the razor's settings from the Zero Dot to perhaps the most wide open setting requiring a 720º rotation of the adjustment dial I can say all the settings can be useful. Some may be superfluous for most gentlemen's needs but none are rough feeling according to my skin not that I've tried higher settings ATG.

Even better, the lowest setting, the Zero Dot, is also useful. It delivers an acceptable shave when used by itself. However for me it works its magic when I use the Zero Dot/lowest setting ATG under my nose. In that very sensitive area the Zero Dot has virtually no blade feel.

3-5-22.Sailor.CK-6.SemogueLE.Mixed.640.JPG

From what I've read here and there most people are impressed with their Sailor. I wasn't sure how much the reviews were or weren't based on the type of confirmation bias which justifies big money already spent. Probably I'll never be sure of that, having spent the money myself, but the Sailor seems to me to be a top of the heap razor by any standard.

I hope to learn more about Sailors and how to use mine to my best advantage.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I suspect the Rocnel Sailor would have taken over the high end DE shaving world by now but for the double inconveniences of buying directly from Murat via Instagram messages, and paying by Western Union money transfer (Paypal doesn’t currently support Turkey). So they are rare enough that they only existed at the edge of awareness for most forum members, who only occasionally hear about it - but invariably in the sort of reverential tones that are usually reserved for Wolfman razors.

At least that’s how the Sailor existed for me until I contacted Murat and got one last year. It far exceeded even my heightened expectations, and I was glad to see it was the same for you, Jim. It is, for me, a better razor than a Wolfman by some distance. It is slightly more expensive too. I think perhaps it is the one razor that can work for everyone, and yield an exceptionally close, long-lasting shave, without irritation. I think it can be used daily as well as for deeper, less frequent shaves, with equal success. And the range of adjustment seems to cover every need. Your mileage may vary, but it likely will not.

Eventually, of course, word gets out more and more, and one day we will probably find that Sailors are very hard to get hold of. Selfishly I have mixed feelings about lauding these razors too much, but on balance it is better that Murat gets the recognition he deserves.

It would be good to hear from anybody who has a Sailor but does not like it - that might be even more informative.

Last edited:
Regarding use, I found it is important to use a very light touch with the Sailor, and I usually use settings 4, 3, and 2 for my three passes. Or setting 4 for a two-pass shave. That seems to be ideal for me. Routinely shaves as close as I’ve ever had and leaves my skin feeling great, even when my lather and prep aren’t the best. I use a steepish angle and just let the weight of the razor rest on my face, but it doesn’t seem especially sensitive to angle.

0D84907A-2CA5-4BE9-824A-48315FC71124.jpeg

Last edited:
+1 on all above. No adjustable I've found is perfect - this one comes close. My take:

Pros
- It's a tank. One if the most robust adjustables made (the Flexi and Ambassador come close). All of its iterations are heavy, solid stainless steel razors.
- It's a precision instrument. No adjustable I've found has the feel and fineness of adjustment as the dial on a Rocnel Sailor. It feels more like a surgical instrument rather than a razor. The blade is held in a precise alignment throughout the range, and even a poor or mediocre blade can provide an excellent shave.
- It's a looker. One of the most beautiful adjustables made, to my eye, and added touches like gold trim or medallions make it even more attractive.
- It has an incredible range of adjustment, from almost no gap to a gap that would be suitable for a wooly mammoth. Anyone could use this razor.
- Most importantly, it provides the smoothest, most comfortable shaves I get from any of my adjustables (which include the Muramasa, Pearl Flexi, HLS Taigas, RE Ambassador and Konsul, Mergress and assorted vintage Gillettes.

Not-So-Pros
- It's a mystery. The razor undoubtedly has a multitude of custom-fitted, no doubt highly polished and precision-fitted parts. I can access two of them - the head cap and the rest (the combined and assembled baseplate, midplate, springs, adjustment knob and internal mechanism, whatever that might be). None of which can be accessed by the user, and there are no user maintenance, use, calibration, adjustment or assembly/disassembly instructions provided. There are no replacement parts, even springs available, and no way to replace or repair them if there were, unlike the Taigas or the Muramasa which can be broken down into their component parts. Again to be fair, the same could be said of the Ambassador or the Flexi.
- It's heavy. Really heavy. If you like to tool around your face with reckless abandon with a featherweight aluminum or titanium razor, this isn't it.
- The grip is not the most positive, and can be slick when wet. See above, "heavy."
- It has a habit of random parts falling off, particularly with early models that were revealed to be exclusively bonded with resin, subject to loosening when exposed to heat or organic solvents. To be fair, rarely, and razors like the Rex Ambassador also use resin to bond the head, but only to secure a threaded attachment- not as the exclusive attachment mechanism. Later Sailors (perhaps) use a swage-fitted attachment as well as resin. "Perhaps" because again there are no instructions on how to disassemble or inspect the razor.
- Communication with the maker (who is actually very accomodating and responsive) and/or company is convoluted, and that includes actually purchasing the razor unless you get it through a third party, and their basic interface is through social media - and there is no warranty expressed or implied. Their website is however changing to be more conventional and user-friendly, although not quite there yet.

With all of the above, warts, quirks, idiosyncrasies and all, it is absolutely worth it (to me), and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to experience perhaps one of the finest adjustable razors on the market today.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I suspect the Rocnel Sailor would have taken over the high end DE shaving world by now but for the double inconveniences of buying directly from Murat via Instagram messages, and paying by Western Union money transfer (Paypal doesn’t currently support Turkey). So they are rare enough that they only existed at the edge of awareness for most forum members, who only occasionally hear about it - but invariably in the sort of reverential tones that are usually reserved for Wolfman razors.

At least that’s how the Sailor existed for me until I contacted Murat and got one last year. It far exceeded even my heightened expectations, and I was glad to see it was the same for you, Jim. It is, for me, a better razor than a Wolfman by some distance. It is slightly more expensive too. I think perhaps it is the one razor that can work for everyone, and yield an exceptionally close, long-lasting shave, without irritation. I think it can be used daily as well as for deeper, less frequent shaves, with equal success. And the range of adjustment seems to cover every need. Your mileage may vary, but it likely will not.

Eventually, of course, word gets out more and more, and one day we will probably find that Sailors are very hard to get hold of. Selfishly I have mixed feelings about lauding these razors too much, but on balance it is better that Murat gets the recognition he deserves.

It would be good to hear from anybody who has a Sailor but does not like it - that might be even more informative.

Which Sailor do you have?

Ordering my Sailor was an adventure. On another forum and also on B&B I discussed with several gentlemen how to go about it, and was able to determine how to spend less than $10 on the Western Union fees, but it was still somewhat of a hassle. I've read recently that the payment process is currently much more expensive than it was when I ordered a few months ago.

I've read, too, of upcoming changes. Mostly that means I've read rumors of upcoming changes.

To copy material I posted in another thread (one on the Rocnel box)...

I'm not a collector of Sailors and have just the 2021 RSMC.

It's tempting to say exactly what conceivably could be done to improve the Sailor is beyond me.

Actually, I can think of a few things but they're incredibly minor given how great the razor actually is as a shaving instrument (and object of admiration for that matter).
  1. Maybe improve the grip. I say that only because others say it. The grip has given me zero problems. I'm not careful to dry my hands or anything of that sort.
  2. Maybe lose some weight. Again, it's not like the razor's weight bothers me in any way or gets in the way of its shave. Maybe the weight improves the shave?
  3. Maybe lose some bulk. However, even though the Sailor doesn't look nimble it goes everywhere I need it to go without any problems.
  4. The handle is a perfect length and diameter for me. Changing it much would be a negative for me.
  5. In a dream world I would like another very mild setting, one even more mild than the Zero Dot setting. However, in reality I am very pleased to have one very mild setting with essentially no ATG blade feel. I'm just saying I could give up a bit of top end for a bit more low end.
  6. I don't care about the box one way or the other, but it is a very nice box. If there is a stand I think there should be one box which holds the razor and the stand. Not a big deal.
  7. The gold ring is very nice, but I'd be just as happy with a brass ring.
  8. I like the coin, but mostly I like the shave. To me, this is a form follows function razor. The man knows what he's doing.
  9. One improvement I think most people would like would be more visible adjustment numbers, or perhaps tactile help. The current numbers aren't bad but they're not great either.
  10. I've gotten better at dealing with it, but, as a daily blade flipper, I have a little trouble removing the blade. Small indentions would help.
All that said, the 2021 RSMC is a great razor. It is remarkable on every available setting including those deep into overclocked territory.

Yes, it is a very expensive razor by any standard. I have to wonder though what buying this as my first razor might have saved me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Jim,
Mine is the 2021 Master Collection - #16. I have ordered the 2022 Master Collection too, and was able to pay the same way - using the Western Union app. The transaction fee was small, but of course you don’t really know the true fee unless you also benchmark the FX rate they use.

I might have been one of the people you conversed with on the other forum before you bought yours. I use a different name there.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Jim,
Mine is the 2021 Master Collection - #16. I have ordered the 2022 Master Collection too, and was able to pay the same way - using the Western Union app. The transaction fee was small, but of course you don’t really know the true fee unless you also benchmark the FX rate they use.

I might have been one of the people you conversed with on the other forum before you bought yours. I use a different name there.

Thanks for any help you gave me there. Much appreciated. It was a big decision and undertaking for me to purchase the Sailor. I read many reviews (probably every review available online) before doing so.

Any idea (other than rumors) how the 2022 RSMC razor will differ from the 2021 RSMC razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Which Sailor do you have?

Ordering my Sailor was an adventure. On another forum and also on B&B I discussed with several gentlemen how to go about it, and was able to determine how to spend less than $10 on the Western Union fees, but it was still somewhat of a hassle. I've read recently that the payment process is currently much more expensive than it was when I ordered a few months ago.

I've read, too, of upcoming changes. Mostly that means I've read rumors of upcoming changes.

To copy material I posted in another thread (one on the Rocnel box)...

I'm not a collector of Sailors and have just the 2021 RSMC.

It's tempting to say exactly what conceivably could be done to improve the Sailor is beyond me.

Actually, I can think of a few things but they're incredibly minor given how great the razor actually is as a shaving instrument (and object of admiration for that matter).
  1. Maybe improve the grip. I say that only because others say it. The grip has given me zero problems. I'm not careful to dry my hands or anything of that sort.
  2. Maybe lose some weight. Again, it's not like the razor's weight bothers me in any way or gets in the way of its shave. Maybe the weight improves the shave?
  3. Maybe lose some bulk. However, even though the Sailor doesn't look nimble it goes everywhere I need it to go without any problems.
  4. The handle is a perfect length and diameter for me. Changing it much would be a negative for me.
  5. In a dream world I would like another very mild setting, one even more mild than the Zero Dot setting. However, in reality I am very pleased to have one very mild setting with essentially no ATG blade feel. I'm just saying I could give up a bit of top end for a bit more low end.
  6. I don't care about the box one way or the other, but it is a very nice box. If there is a stand I think there should be one box which holds the razor and the stand. Not a big deal.
  7. The gold ring is very nice, but I'd be just as happy with a brass ring.
  8. I like the coin, but mostly I like the shave. To me, this is a form follows function razor. The man knows what he's doing.
  9. One improvement I think most people would like would be more visible adjustment numbers, or perhaps tactile help. The current numbers aren't bad but they're not great either.
  10. I've gotten better at dealing with it, but, as a daily blade flipper, I have a little trouble removing the blade. Small indentions would help.
All that said, the 2021 RSMC is a great razor. It is remarkable on every available setting including those deep into overclocked territory.

Yes, it is a very expensive razor by any standard. I have to wonder though what buying this as my first razor might have saved me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

10$ For western union fees are nothing compared to the 130 € that I paid for import in Italy from USA 😅

Thanks for any help you gave me there. Much appreciated. It was a big decision and undertaking for me to purchase the Sailor. I read many reviews (probably every review available online) before doing so.

Any idea (other than rumors) how the 2022 RSMC razor will differ from the 2021 RSMC razor?

Happy shaves,

Jim
All I’ve seen from Murat is that the 2022 Master Collection will have improved mechanics and a new surface treatment. I am not expecting significant changes - I ordered it just expecting it to be pretty much a duplicate with maybe some minor, even cosmetic enhancements. I like the razor enough to want a back-up.

Murat did post a survey on Instagram a month or so ago, asking followers if they prefer certain finishes. I wish I remembered what the options were. In hindsight it was probably a clue.

I guess we could ask him but I don’t want to bother him and I am happy to wait until he reveals it. He would probably answer, though.

Most importantly, it provides the smoothest, most comfortable shaves I get from any of my adjustables (which include the Muramasa, Pearl Flexi, HLS Taigas, RE Ambassador and Konsul, Mergress and assorted vintage Gillettes..
How would you rate all of them in terms of smoothness, from most to least, starting with the Sailor?

Also you specifically said adjustable: what non-adjustable razors would you rate even higher?

How would you rate all of them in terms of smoothness, from most to least, starting with the Sailor?

Also you specifically said adjustable: what non-adjustable razors would you rate even higher?
"Smoothness" is relative, but among those adjustables listed in increasing order of blade feel (depending of course on the setting - and all are close): the Muramasa, Mergress, Taiga, Sailor, Flexi, Konsul, Ambassador. For the modern non-adjustables I have several, none of which I would rate higher as far as the shave but maybe comfort (for some - as in, the AS-D2 is more comfortable shaving than the Ambassador, but not as efficient): AS-D2, RS-10, Timeless Titanium, ATT Windsor. Vintage are a whole different world, but from adjustables my top pick (excluding the Mergress/Progress, which are available new today) is the Slim. Non-adjustable, for best combo of mildness/efficiency, the Tech.

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I posted on another forum exactly how I paid for my Sailor, in January, 2022.

Today I ordered myself the Rocnel Sailor Master Collection razor and stand.

Let me tell you exactly how I sent the money in hopes it might save you a bit of money in fees.

I went to Send and Track Money Online Now | Western Union - https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html

I elected that the receiver pick up the money in USD.

I elected to pay cash in a store. As you know the RSMC razor sells for $690 with a nice stand.

The Western Union transfer fee I was quoted was $8.00.

I went to my favorite and most friendly and most upscale local grocery store, a Publix, where the nice ladies took my $700 in cash money and gave me back $10. I told them they'd forgotten to charge me the fee. That resulted in me getting back $2 instead of $10. I also received a paper copy of my receipt. On it they'd circled a tracking number which they told me was necessary for the receiving party in Turkey to obtain the money. I photographed that information and sent it to the vendor, Murat.

I've not yet heard back from him.

I'd explored several other ways of doing this. Perhaps some were better. I don't know. What I do know is some ways of sending the money involved me paying significantly higher fees to do so. With the money I saved I can buy more unneeded soap or something.

I hope this helps someone else trying to accomplish the same process.

Thanks to everyone involved in helping me fumble through the decision making process and the money transfer hurdles.

However, I'm not at all sure the folks making these razors are using the same payment method anymore. From their website...

1646596108009.png

I've registered on the site and established an account, but see no product offers nor any means to use a credit card on the site. It looks like the site is under construction, and it looks like it will have credit card payment options. Looks like it might be a good, modern website, but it's currently under construction, and being tested.

On person has mentioned using the bank transfer or the EFT. Apparently it was pretty spendy.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Having used my 2021 RSMC on a number of settings - Zero Dot, 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12 - I find none which are not useful. Smooth, too, even at the huge gaps.

(To be clear, I prefer the Zero Dot for ATG under my nose.)

3-7-22.Sailor.CK-6.SemLE-Mixed.640.JPG

I wonder some about the shave delivered by the various models, how the models compare other than in handle length and diameter, and such as that.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The first picture shows the 2018, 2020 and 2021 sailors.

The second shows the 2020, 2021 and 2022 (not great quality).

I fell in love with the design of the rocnel sailor razors and ended up with a bit of a collection of them.

The 2020 is the heaviest, but the most detailed. They all shave very nicely indeed.
Rocnel Evolution.jpg
Rocnel Evolution 2.jpg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice @Cheekee! Are any of these LE razors such as the Master Collection? I'm still just trying to get a good overview of the various models and figure out what distinguishes one from another, etc.

Obviously one variable is handle length. Not sure what the various lengths are, but I'd guess 75 to 85 mm maybe. To me, 85 mm would be too long.

Do you have preferences in terms of the shave or of the shave experience?

Lovely collection!

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nice @Cheekee! Are any of these LE razors such as the Master Collection? I'm still just trying to get a good overview of the various models and figure out what distinguishes one from another, etc.

Obviously one variable is handle length. Not sure what the various lengths are, but I'd guess 75 to 85 mm maybe. To me, 85 mm would be too long.

Do you have preferences in terms of the shave or of the shave experience?

Lovely collection!

Happy shaves,

Jim
The 2020 is the only one with a handle length of 85mm. The 2021 is 80mm. 2022 in between. Its difficult to choose a favourite. They all shave really nicely.

Top Bottom